New to diabetes,

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hey,,

Well I'm not sure where to start I'm new to this. My ten year old daughter has just been diagnosed with type 1. I'm a single mum and to be honest I'm finding everything really overwhelming, any hints or tips on managing diabetes in children would be great as I feel I am always saying no to my daughter.

We have always had a good relationship and I don't want her to feel my stress levels and as much as I have a great family I've never felt so lonely. My daughter seems to be taking it really well but even she is starting to feel stressed especially with the few lows she has had, im positive we will manage the best way we can. But any advice is welcome. Thank you for reading xx

fred1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry to hear of your daughters diagnosis of type1. I am sure someone will be along soon to give advice and tips. I am a type2 diagnosed couple of years ago and I recall how daunting it all felt. It does get easier and with th help of this forum you will get more confident and things will become. It all takes time and it's a steep learning curve for both of you. This will make your relationship stronger. Keep asking questions and you will get the understanding. There are fabulous roomies on this site who have all manners of expertise. Best of luck to you and your daughter, and mind one day at a time. Don't be thinking your super woman xx

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you, and yes I'm and I'll not try to be superwoman, the hardest thing is saying no she can't have something, today is birthday tea so I've adapted it to suit her, thank you again and I'm sure I will learn in no time x

Marykly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

Ahh sorry
Poor u
I know how u feel its lot to take on alone
Plz try to go to coffee mornings for support
Ask you diabetes nurse if they have one???? I got my support from my group .
Plus we are here for u too.
Dont worry please...

Rocky Racoon

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I'm new to this too so still learning lots.

My son is 7. Food that we give him outside of meals are Baby Bells, Cheese Strings and Pepperoni.
We also cut thick slices of cucumber and put a bit of cheese on top.
He takes his time over a cup of tea also.

I have raw carrot sticks and I let him have 1 or 2 strawberries as a 'free' too.

For after Hypos, we used to give 2 Rich Tea Biscuits (5.9G each) but he's already off these so we're now onto Party Rings (5G each)

Good luck with everything, remember we learn from those lows and your positivity will be challenged at times, but that's true with everything in life, yes? It's just another hurdle I guess.

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank your for the tips that's great, I'm lucky she likes the pepperoni and cheeses which I have been giving, party rings I'd have never thought of that thank you. The challenges are becoming easier each day x