**** advice from my diabetic nurse today

baldtykde

Hi folks

Today I went for my HBA1C blood test after 3 and a bit weeks of low carbing that has seen my sugars plummet from 20's to close to normal range.

I have tested quite a lot during this time and this has helped to keep the control levels good.

Whilst I was having my blood taken this morning my diabetic nurse came in to ask her coleague something, I thought I would take the chance to ask if it was possible to get a sharps container for my used lancets.

My nurse then inquired why I would want one as they are only reccomending T2 should check their blood ONCE A MONTH. Gotta be honest I was so gobsmacked I wasnt able to answer back at the time.

Maybe its just me? but how in the hell can a diabetic keep good blood sugar control by testing once a month,is there some master plan by the medics and drug companies to make sure we are all ill and reliant on pills.

I give in with them, they seem to move the flamin goalposts whenever it suits.Surely its cheaper to keep our bloods under con trol by checking than having a once a month test and waiting until our next HBA1C by which time we could be out of control and ill......which will require more tablets.

Gawd give me strength !!!!!!

Tony :x

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
That's how the NHS is funded. there's no looking ahead to what might be the consequences of present day policies.OR looking to future savings.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
hanadr said:
That's how the NHS is funded. there's no looking ahead to what might be the consequences of present day policies.OR looking to future savings.

Very true, current management only seem to care about achieving the short term targets. but In my opinion doctors and nurses generally have their patients welfare at heart so I can't believe they would give such bad advice unless they truly believed in it.

I think its a sad fact of life that the vast majority of diabetics don't or won't take responsibility for there own care and generally docs and nurses see that by keeping their diabetic patients bg levels on the high side they are stopping potential hypo problems.

Its just a shame they don't generally make their decisions based on the patients willingness to help themselves.

Apologies for the overuse of the word 'generally' but I don't want to generalise :lol:

baldtykde

I just cant get my head around how it is cost effective to not give out testing equipment that will highlight any problems early rather than waiting untill the patient develops a major problem that has been allowed to run on and then costs many thousands.

If we are willing to make the committment to change surely we deserve the medics backing, is there anyone we can lobby or has it been done already.

Failing that I feel a trip to china to source cheaper test strips could be on the cards lol

Tony

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
You sound angry pxxxed off, and I don't blame you. It almost makes one wonder what the need for all the camplaigns to get Type-2s diagnosed is all bout, as even when diagnosed they are not given the tools to manage it.
My brother in law had an HBa1c of 10 and recent random BG of 17, sent home with no medication, an appointment in a year, and advised to eat high-carbs meals by the dietitian!
As a type-1 of 20 years it worried me,but it seems to be commonplace.
There is a petition you can sign somewhere on this forum regarding test-strips for type-2s. Maybe someone can provide a link, can't seem to do links on my computer.
Things need to change :evil:
Jus

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
A sad reality but it also depends on where you live, i.e. a postcode lottery. The marvellous way our health system is set up, each individual PCT can make it's own rules, or rather, interpret NICE guidelines as they see fit and this covers all aspects of healthcare not just test strips. Essentially this means budgetary concerns are given higher priority than patient care for most Trusts.

I say firing the management consultants would be a good starting point... :x

Spiral

Sharps containers are usually yellow and huge.

I have some smaller, plastic containers (last one contained sodium bicarbonate that my son used in a science experiement at school!) in to which I put my used strips and lancets in and drop off at a pharmacy for disposal. I write "sharps" on it to keep prying fingers out - it is a lot more discrete in my desk at work.

It amazes me how we are expected to take responsibility for our condition without the right tools :? :cry: The NHS has very low expectations of peoples ability to change their behaviour around their health, and to be honest many people are just not motivated to change :? :( And in any case getting beyond the "doctor knows best" attitude is sometimes very hard work.

I have signed wallycorkers petition, but to be honest, petitions are a bit pointelss unless they are backed up by a bit of activism and lobbying in general by a group of affected people making a bit of a nuisance of themselves, while presenting the evidence that supports their case.

Anyone up for a bit of activism?

There is a consultation out at the moment about this very issue - is there a need to supply prescription test strips for T2s - although I can't seem to find a link to it, I heard about the consultation on another forum and I'm trying to find a link to the source - can anyone help?

Dobbs

Believe me, no matter how much we complain about the NHS, things are not much better elsewhere. The three doctors I've spoken to about diabetes in Holland (where I live now) seem to know very little about it, or at least about how to treat it. Alarming. All very nice guys etc etc. Yet, not least considering the incredible wealth of anecdotal information on this very website, it shocks me that paid professionals remain so unbelievably out of touch with what we diabetics are saying.

weim1

I had my first visit with dn yesterday and he refused to give me a testing kit. He said he didnt encourage it as people become obsessive about testing and when I told him I wasnt an obsessive person and I just wanted to take control of my life rather than waiting for three months to find out what the average was he still refused. Said I could go and buy one if I want but it is expensive. The only good thing he seemed to do was say he would look into a desmond course I could go on.
Donna

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Write a nice e-mail to any of the Meter companies, telling them you'd like a free meter. I've had success with this a couple of times. I just tell them what meter I am currently using, and that I've discussed changing my prescription for strips to the new meter's strips with my GP and that he is happy to do this. (This part is a lie - but the doctor WILL change your prescription if you ask him. The new company will even give you the order code for the new strips...)

There is NO REASON for a Diabetic to need to buy a meter when the meter companies will throw them at you if you make them think they'll be selling more strips because of it!

Handyníall

Dislikes
Anything that'll wake us up before noon on a weekend...
Yup. My GP in Galway wouldn't prescribe test strips as I didn't need them (moron). But a hospital in the area had a scheme on where you could buy them at a knock-down price. So I lived off those for a couple of years until I came to Dublin. Here, I've got a GP that'll happily prescribe test strips (he's diabetic as well).

Bottom line. If your doctor won't prescribe you test strips, find one that will!

Spiral

weim1 said:
I had my first visit with dn yesterday and he refused to give me a testing kit. He said he didnt encourage it as people become obsessive about testing and when I told him I wasnt an obsessive person and I just wanted to take control of my life rather than waiting for three months to find out what the average was he still refused. Said I could go and buy one if I want but it is expensive. The only good thing he seemed to do was say he would look into a desmond course I could go on.
Donna

Opt for something free. Ring the customer service helplines of some of the major companies - this is how I got my Accu-chek Aviva from Roche for free. I got my second (spare) meter from the competition at the top of this page - it isn't a real competition, you will get a meter if you give them your details. However, not all the companies will give you a machine via customer services. If you are going to spend money, I think the Abbott machines are about the cheapest to buy.

The drug company manufacturers make all the money on the strips and lancet devices and are queuing up to give the meters away - this is how the freebies given away at the diabetic clinics are funded.

Once you have your machine use the customer service helplines to replace the batteries and get the test/calibration solutions for free (Roche have sent everything I have asked for by first class post). If your machine breaks down, it comes with a lifetime garuntee and the company will replace it free of charge.

Also, you might want to find out if there is any software that allows you to turn the results in your meter in to charts and graphs to show your GP/diabetic nurse. It helps you chart your progress.

If you do part with any cash, make sure you ask for the VAT to be removed. Anything you buy to manage your disability/long term condition is exempt from VAT (diabetes qualifies for this, even if you don't have any disabilities). However, you may have a bit of a job getting VAT off anything you buy on eBay, which is how I supplement the strips I get on prescription to test 6-8 times a day!

You can buy test strips online - I have been getting additional strips off eBay. Check the expiry date and the sellers feedback. My limit at eBay is half the retail price (including postage in the cost) but usually I pay less than that, shop around but be very selective. Good luck!

Also, take a look at what the NICE guidelines say about test strips for diet only T2s. We are entitled to them but you may have to make a bit of a fuss.

haptagud

While I am totally for a patient being able to test their BG at home, I've found it really useful in understanding what foods push me over. I've just read through most of the NICE guidelines for T2 and they use very vague language concerning self-testing. The quote below is from their recommendations, and I read it as basically giving PCT's carte-blanche to do what they want.

"Assess at least annually and in a structured way:
-self-monitoring skills
-the quality and appropriate frequency of testing
-the use made of the results obtained
-the impact on quality of life
-the continued benefit
-the equipment used"

dragongirl

I agree - and I have often wondered (linking this thought to those things to be checked on every year) whether some people who get strips supplied in the flush of good intentions simply don't continue to test, but allow the prescription to continue and sell off their strips on ebay. I've had a few boxes where the label has clearly been torn off and another where it was still on. You can understand why the NHS is reluctant to endorse this *possible* wastage. It's like giving people money. You sort of need honour on both sides of the great divide.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have type 2 and my GP surgery wouldn't provide a meter or strips etc but I obtained a Lifescan One Touch for virtually nothing a few years ago. As others have said the companies are only too willing to provide one for free or nearly so. There are plenty of adverts in the DB UK Balance magazine. I have always bought my strips and lancets via the web with no problems and they are cheaper than the chemist. The cost is small in comparison with other daily living costs. I can't talk about other meter suppliers but the Lifescan lancets have a small round plastic cover attached that snaps over the needle after use hence no need for any special disposal containers.

lionrampant

You should have just told her you tested frequently using your own strips/lancets, and that if she didn't like it she should have a look at your current levels compared to your previous ones.