Weight Loss

Double

I have lost 2lb in a week, is this normal? I am metformin 500mg twice a day, my diet and exercise have not changed. I have been diagnosed type 2 and taking metformin now for about 3 weeks. :?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Double.

Could be down to your diet, fluid intake etc. Depends what your aims are ? Are you trying to lose weight ? If so then that's good, steady weight loss is better than a crash diet. Most overweight Diabetics would be happy for any weight loss.

It could also be down to the Metformin.
It is not entirely clear if metformin causes weight loss for most people with type 2 diabetes. At the very least, however, it seems that people taking metformin do not gain weight (a common problem with many other diabetes medications). It is not known if metformin has any effect on weight in people who do not have diabetes.

akelarules

Hi

I've been on metformin 500mg twice daily since January and have lost over 1 1/2 stone without changing my exercise plan, although I've changed my diet I'd really like to loose another stone then I'd officially be the correct weight for my height (according to the charts that my doctor swears by!)

I never say I'm overweight I'm either undertall or the right weight if I was 6 foot 3 tall and not 5ft 4

K

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
If you weigh yourself everyday you'll find that your weight fluctuates wildy. 2lbs over the course of a week is nothing to worry about.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Jan.

What exactly is 'limited diet ?' :?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi Jan.

All looks OK, are you on any other medications ? Are you able to exercise any more ?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Jan
You seem to have based your diet on avoiding fats. That's not ncessary for diabetes control. In fact a bit of fat is beneficial. It's the carbs you need to restrict.
Hana

Mimi

Hello Jan

I sympathise. It's really hard when you're trying to change your lifestyle and eating habits for the better and I find that when I hit on a food-formula that doesn't raise blood sugar levels too much I stick to it without much variety and drive myself nuts eventually till it makes me try something else to see what happens to the levels. For me it's fear of getting it wrong and the horrible feeling of high levels that could have been be avoided. It does get better though :) and reading about what works for others on this forum has given me more courage to try foods that normally wouldn't even be on my radar.

Variety it seems is the key to success (or at least staying on the wagon for longer and longer periods). I haven't mastered it yet but the people and discussions on this forum have been so helful and downright inspitational in some cases! 8)

Good luck!
Mimi

Romola

An example of a day's food. This keeps my bg within recommended levels and I lose 1 -1/2 lb per week - although I have been on a plateau recently. when this happens, eat more for a week or so, and then go back to eating less. It fools your metabolism!

I have a cycle exerciser and try to do two sessions of 15 minutes 5 out of 7 days. More if I feel like it - and fit in short walks (am disabled to limited as to what I can do) - if having a good day and it isn't too hot.

Diabetes control via diet only.

Breakfast: Approx 2 dsrt spoons muesli (no added sugar) mixed into 0%fat Greek yoghurt plus a little non-sweetened soya milk to soften it up. Half a banana and a small amount of other fruit, eg blueberries, a couple of grapes. Tomato juice. Green tea. This would be too much carb for many - but it is OK for me.

Black coffee

Lunch: Dr Karg Spelt crispbread with hummus, or taramasalata or low fat cheese. 2 or 3 cherry tomatoes. An orange. Sugar-free drink, eg squash, lemonade, ginger beer or water. I vary it - mostly water though.

Snack if necessary - oatcake or dried fruit and nuts.

Mug of redbush tea

Evening meal: Just about anything (not big portions) - including carbs - but would limit them to a small amount, eg a couple of tablespoonsful of basmati rice, or 2 or 3 pieces of sweet potato. Fruit salad plus either fromage frais or a desert spoon of ice cream (ordinary ice cream) or some cream if we have had visitors and there is some left. Glass of wine

Very small pieces of cheese and camomile tea at bedtime.

I use this little book for reference - tells you lots of information without getting too confusing like some!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GL-Glycaemic-Lo ... 0007222149

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I hit the plateau ,Jan and found that using a smaller plate and therefore cutting down my portion size did work for me.I have lost a further half stone and am continuing to lose weight.
My avarage daily meals are;
Breakfast, half apple and cheese,cup of tea.

Lunch/dinner salad or cooked meat and veg.

Supper .Usually a bowl of berries with cream and creme fraiche depending on if I am hungry.
Now,I am quite happy on this diet but I know that it would not suit everyone.

edwin

Dislikes
Getting older
I have tried the " RYVITA Summer Fit Challenge " and find that I loose 6 lbs each two week sesion. Have done it twice now and have lost around a stone. I was 18 stone at the start its easy to keep to and my wife is on it as well with the same results.

Might be worth a look if you want to try something else.

Ed

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
edwin said:
" RYVITA Summer Fit Challenge "

Just had a look at this and I see Ryvita are using Fern Britton in their advertising, so I guess a gastric band helps too

Sorry, couldnt resist that :wink: