Levemir.

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hey ive been diagnosed 2 years past in june. I was changed from lantus to levemir after the dafne course last oct. Straight away i noticed the levemir leaving like a hard lump for a few days. But recently last few weeks feel my sugar level is constantly higheo thot i needed more background. Increased levemir from 12 to16. Sugar level remained high all weekend and today n the levemir leaving hard deposits seems to be getting worse . Would this be reason for my high levels.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, it could be lack of absorption. Levemir is usually well tolerated but perhaps it's not the best Basal for you?

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I do exercise a lot n more so recently so im not really injectin into much fat but never had this with lantus.

zjed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lazy Doctors and Endos
I had an allergic reaction to levemir (injection site welts), had to go back to lantus, its not uncommon.

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Oh thats good to know think the lantus far better for me

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I had the opposite effect going from levemir to lantus, I had been on levemir for a few years but was suffering from alot of hypos/hypers so was put on lantus.

After suffering the lumps and itchiness and still bad blood sugar readings I was put on tresiba/degludec, this has all now kind of settled

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I get a few hard lumps in my non fat belly occasionally if I use it.. I always massage every injection site after injecting though for a few seconds so a lump seems to disappear ok. Recently been using my arms and these are guaranteed perfect. Only trouble is winter with layers of clothing....

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Tried my arms no the lumps appear soon as injected n stay there for days now. Jus phoned the nurse advised to go back on my lantus as of today. Luckily still had a pen in my fridge.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Tried my arms no the lumps appear soon as injected n stay there for days now. Jus phoned the nurse advised to go back on my lantus as of today. Luckily still had a pen in my fridge.

Seems a sensible thing to do as it does look like you were having a allergic reaction to levemir.

If you've had previous problems with lantus and they emerge again then do ask your DSN/Consultant about the possibilities of changing over to Tresiba, this is a new basal insulin that came on the market in 2013, there's a few members on the forum who use this Tresiba and the feedback is very good.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Racism, Homophobia, Sectarianism, inequality
Hi folks,

I'm on Levemir for a good few years and am very concerned at the high dose - 40u in pm. Just never got to pick anyone's brains about it before. Anyone else need so much?!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Doesn't matter how much you need so long as your levels are within normal range.
Weightloss can reduce basal rates. Depends as well whether you get by ok on one shot in evening or another in the morning.

Tresiba is one that could be considered if your currrent basal causes probs. As for dosage well its what your body needs rather than going by others dosages.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Racism, Homophobia, Sectarianism, inequality
Doesn't matter how much you need so long as your levels are within normal range.
Weightloss can reduce basal rates. Depends as well whether you get by ok on one shot in evening or another in the morning.

Tresiba is one that could be considered if your currrent basal causes probs. As for dosage well its what your body needs rather than going by others dosages.
Aye, thanks. I've been told that before - just always feared there was some deeper problem. Like I was an insulin black hole! All the best

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I know people with more and less than you... So you're not a black hole!! :):)

Sking89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Id be curious to hear how u get on with lantus again. I swapped from levimir to lantus bcos of itchiness, lumps and sudden hypos. Lantus seems to work much better although do struggle with hypos around 4am fairly often :/

LWA

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Soaps
Michael - regards too much levemir I feel the same as you - I split 30u at night and 30u in the morning - and this from doing just 30u on an evening several years ago. I do find Levemir provides me with a much better balance than some friends I have who use Lanctus which I guess is the most important stat.