For Attention of Moderators

Dodger

Dislikes
Lamb
Hi, the link for the NICE guidelines, takes you to the NICE site but the document has been removed convieniently.
I have just been on a DESMOND course, and they are teaching not to test just have the HBA1C, so what chance do people not on the forum have?

Regards Dodger

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi did I read your message correctly- the desmond course tells diabetics not to check their blood sugar, but to rely on HBA1c? Does this include insuling dependents, I surely hope not. But I presume that non-insulin dependent type-2 diabletics still experience hypos on tablets dont they??
This sounds a bit wrong to me. I have been insulin dependent type-1 for 19 years, and am extremely concerned that things have changed since my diagnosis, when I was told how important self-testing is. Is this a cost-cutting exercise do you think??
Worried Justine :?

junieliz

Hi janabelle, my husband is type 2, and his levels can and do go very low on the medication that he is on. I hope that he is going to be able to carry on with test strips and not just rely on Hbalc at times his levels are as low as 2.6 this sounds more and more worrying junieliz

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Justine,type 1's need not worry.Type 2's on Metformin and diet controlled are the ones they are after!As Metformin does not cause hypo's they seem to think that they don't have to test,yes it is cost cutting no matter how they dress it up!

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Sue, thanks for your reply. Even though this Desmond idea is promoted for type-2 and tablet controlled patients, I have felt the back lash, even being insulin dependent for 19 years. I was told when trying to get my usual repeat prescription for testing strips, that i would have to see the nurse before I could get them. I was told that "diabetics had been abusing the system"! The problem was soon rectified when I spoke to another member of staff. I was disgusted that a member of staff at a GP surgery would say such a thing about patients-but she must have got her information from the GP or Nurse in the practice. I found it so insulting that it should be suggested that diabetics would "abuse the system" and feel very strongly that it is unscrupulpous GPs that are doing exactly that! With the help of the "desmond" initiative, they will now have PCT and government back-up.
Even more worried Justine :x

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
If you are on insulin you must test for your own safety..end of story. :evil:

sue@ssh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Am I alone in just this week requesting strips and lancets along with other meds no questions asked and all given?!

Im T2 and on metformin and statins feel like I rattle at times but need reassurance of testing twice a week to check BEFORE problems arise.

This DESMOND sounds a load of nonsense in my opinion.

S xxxxx

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
I'm one of the lucky ones,I get my test strips on prescription even though I'm diet only.I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it continues this way.

Dodger

Dislikes
Lamb
Hi Sue and All, thanks for the replies, while this is what was taught on the course I must say that I still get my strips on repeat scripts, the other point can anyone get the NICE guidlines for T2 testing to show up? as when I visit it has been removed? thanks again.

PS as already pointed out the DESMOND course is for T2

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
I can't get it either,maybe Dennis will find it,he found it the first time.