Back to Dr?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you like crackerbread? Ryvita do ones that have only 3.5g of carbs. I have them with either Philadelphia spread or crunchy peanut (Whole Earth is the lowest for carbs that I can find). I tend to avoid the Thins as they send my sugars up - ironic really as one Thin sends my BS up more than 2 slices of seeded bread! Tortilla or Wraps also send my BS high!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I just ask, I've just had a yoghurt which is 7g. Is that ok as I've had one crisp bread? Is it one thing can be 10g or lower in a meal or the whole thing? As I've had 17 roughly for lunch on 2 different things. I'm so sorry for all the questions but I'll take my BG in a couple of hours to see what I've done. They're 8.8 before lunch.

Most of us who have yoghurt tend to have plain Greek yoghurt, which tends to keep the carbs down. The Lidl own brand is very nice and incredibly cost effective at something like £1.40 for 1kg.

As I say, it's up to you to work your way through things to find out where your levels and tolerances lie. When I was talking about foods of less that 10gr carb per 100gr off the foodstuff, I wasn't meaning necessarily 10gr of carb per meal. As a matter on interest, my meals tend not to carry the same carb loading through the day. My day tends to go something like low carb breakfast, very low carb lunch (just because of the foods I like to have at lunchtime), then a slightly carb-heavier dinner. It works for me. Many people cope with carbs better as the day progresses, but everyone is different.

I hate to bleat on about it, but testing really is how you will make your breakthroughs.

Reactions: 2 people

Mummyofthree

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never thought of cracker bread! I'll have a look when I next go shopping, I'll get myself a new meter & start testing regularly. Lunch it only went up by 1 in 2 hours & I'll see what my Sunday lunch was! Thanks to you all again.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I approach it in the same way I do for my weekly financial budget. I have a certain number of grams of carb I budget for the day, and I spend them with each meal or snack. I love crackers but have cut them out for now because of the carbs. I don't want to waste too much of my daily carb budget on something I don't really need. I'd rather enjoy my berries and yoghurt or coleslaw knowing there's a few carbs in them that I can't really get away from, but they're tasty and filling/satisfying.

freshlybrewed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sensory overloading
I also Carb budget and max out on the flavour vs carb ratio. I find pesto being one of the awesome products that are low in carbs but deliver a big flavour hit. There's so many to choose from on the "stir thru" shelf. For example a 46g serving is typically under 1.5g carbs. Add that to a zero carb portion of chicken and 8g carb portion of veg and you have a whole evening meal in under 10g.

I like the Sacla brand the most. The Intenso Tomato and Olive stir through is very yummy.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
All the Dr said to me was that the carb portion needs to be small. I'm doing slimming world which has an alarming amount of 'free' food that are carbs. On closer inspection my crisp bread are 9.7 each. I've been having 3 as part of my daily allowance (as per diet) my lunch today was 1 crisp bread, cherry toms & half a chicken breast. Needless to say I'll be hunting around in a couple of hours! My GP didn't give me any limits to set myself. I bought a GI book that's ok but it doesn't help as I find the GI & GL confusing. Just one step at a time i guess! I've gained so much more info from you guys that someone who's supposed to be looking after me. It does worry me!
Sadly many of these sliiming clubs and products are still based on the 'must have low-fat' mantra that is now shown to be wrong. Unless you ened the motivation of being part of a group all you ened to do is gradually find the products that have lower carbs and that you like. This means that most proteins and fats are fine and you just need to set yourself a daily target maximum based on your meter and degree of diabetes. My figure is around 150gm/day and many set much lower targets. Yes, the GI/GL thin can be confusing. The GI index indicates the speed of absorption hence low-GI carbs avoid spikes although the total may be simialr and affect blood sugar. GL is about the carb content of typical food portions. Basically set yourself a daily target and go for low-GI carbs where you can.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I've reduced it quite a bit, no pasta, bread or rice & only a couple of new potatoes with dinner. Leafy veg & proteins for evening meal. If I have carbs it will be an ounce of all bran for breakfast & maybe a warburtons thin for lunch. Compared to the thick white bread, jkt spuds (oh I miss them), crisps & rice etc I used to have! I do eat apples & pears & yoghurt tho.
What you are now eating sounds pretty good so keep that up and I am sure your levels will reduce