SWINE FLU THREAD

crutina

Swine flu

What are the chances of dying from swine flu? I know I'm being silly, but my boyfriend might have swine flu as he went over to a friends house whose Mum has it. So if he has got it when will he start to get sick? And what are the chances of dying from Swine Flu? Is it any higher than normal flu? I've been told if you have Asthma it is worse for you and he has it which is why i'm worried. Plus if he comes over my house is it high risk for him to be around my brother who is 10 or my Grandad?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Re: Swine flu

I think incubation is about a week. It has been a pretty mild disease so far. Fewer people have died than do every winter from seasonal flu.

christieuk

Re: The worry of swine flu.

Hi. I would like to add my experience to this post in the hope of reassurance.

Both my husband and I had swine flu last week. I have diabetes (tablet controlled Glucophage SR 2000mg per day). However I also have mild emphysema and asthma. My husband has MS. We would be considered "at risk" individuals. We both had a course of Tamiflu, neither of us particularly being bothered by any of the side effects mentioned and we are both on the mend so to speak. We are past the worst of the symptoms but have the residual fatigue/lack of energy which flu always brings about - so we are both taking it easy. Housework can wait. Both my sons live at home and neither have gone down with it.

I think the media are hyping this up out of all proportion. There are always deaths with flu. Everyone, as with all things, respond differently when exposed to bacteria and viruses. People who appear to have the consititution of an ox get felled and supposedly vulnerable people are barely affected. I think just follow the advice and if any symptoms appear (and mine were vague for 4 days before I phoned the GP) ring your GP and take advice. I cant speak for insulin diabetics but you know yourselves and be guided by how you feel.

christieuk

MrsPugwash

I am just getting over swine flu and it's been a long couple of weeks of feeling pretty dreadful. My BG control is excellent (rarely out of the 5's) but it did go up quite markedly whilst I was ill, peaking at a record 14.9 on Sunday night! Having said all that, I would certainly concur with the other postings about not panicking. Take the medicine, drink plenty of fluids, take some echinacea to support your immune system, get plenty of rest. It's not pleasant but it's not ebola virus either!

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather

From what the papers are saying in the USA young children, and also their caregivers, will be a priority for the swine flu vaccine, and if a child has a chronic health condition then they certainly will be offered the vaccine first and I am expecting the UK to do the same so there would be no need for anyone to worry about the children not getting the vaccine. The USA though, intend to wait longer than the UK to give out vaccines and personally I think this is wise and it makes me think hard about whether I want to take the vaccine, or not, although I have had the seasonal vaccination each year since being diagnosed because I get bronchial asthma following influenza.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Re: Swine flu

i have suspected swine flu, ive been totally ill for the last week and just starting to feel a bit better, its been the same as normal flus so far :?

diabetic_tigs

Im a diabetic type one and was yesterday confirmed as having swine flu.
I really dont see what all the panick is about to be honest, my sugars were slightly up, as one would expect with a temp of 41, headaches, aches and pains, earache blocked nose runny eyes and a soar throat, but really it is no worse than a nasty cold! I have upped my insulin dose by about 3 units and my sugars are still slightly up running at about 8-10. To any other diabetics out there worrying, all i can really say is dont worry, lets face it, if we're going to get it we're going to get it, obviously just do your best washing hands etc.

Keep well guys but dont worry you can be diabetic AND have swine flu without severe consequences :!:

bumblejoy

i think the thing is not to panick. If we do get swine flu we just have to be more aware and take extra care. Has anyone mentioned that we are just as vunerable every year to seasonal flu as much as swine flu!
I asked my DN about this years vaccine and we will get two. One for Swine flu and one for seasonal flu so be prepared! I also have a friend who is a consultant and he was very scathing of tamiflu and the use of. He said he thought it was totally unecessary in most people and only prolonged swine flu if they did catch it. He also feels that people will take it without needing it and then complain about the side effects.
Just be vigilant, carry tissues, wash hands regularly and carry and small bottle of hand sanitizer on you so that you can do your hands in public places. I have also taken to wearing latex gloves when supermarket shopping so that i can dispose of them on leaving, use the sanitizer and go!

Dalekkiller

Dislikes
Slow drivers, blood tests, having to go to hospital

I've just been diagnosed with Swine Flu, I told my GP that I wasn't keen on taking Tamiflu, especially after reading some of the comments here about it but he said it would be better if I took it because of my asthma (seems my diabetes wasn't too much of a problem). To be honest, I'm more worried how it will affect my asthma than my diabetes as the last time I picked up a similar virus, I ended up in hospital for 8 days.

Dalekkiller

Dislikes

Thanks, I was already drinking lots as I thought it was just a very heavy cold. Sadly, there isn't anyone to look after me but luckily, I did my weekly shop yesterday and got plenty of good food so I should be ok. I'm going to keep a close eye on my BS levels as well as they tend to shoot up when I'm unwell.

bubylorna

i have swine flu

hi every 1!!!!
i have type 1 diabetes and have jus found out that i have swine flu!!! i dont understand nefing about diabetes to be honest but i understand that my sugar levels r way too high. ne tips for how i can bring them down abit and if theres ne certain foods i should eat more of or avoid??????

thanks xxx

Dalekkiller

Dislikes
It's been just over a week since I was diagnosed with swine flu and I feel like I'm over the worst of it. My cure? Drink plenty of fluids, eat little & often to make sure BS levels are ok and make the most of having a Sky+ box :lol:

Dalekkiller

Dislikes
Thanks LittleSue, yes I did take Tamiflu in the end. I've got asthma and the last time I picked up a similar virus, I ended up in hospital for 8 days. Mind you, that was when they diagnosed me with diabetes so I'm not sure whether I'm glad or not about that :lol:
True to form with me, I'm still not quite recovered and still feel a bit bunged up and lacking in energy. Hopefully, the better weather will help. :)

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
This Swine Flu Jab, Is it safe.

Hi all,
I have been hearing lots about this swine flu jab and that as it has been rushed through it "May " not be safe, Anyone have any answers.

Also Anyone know about the once daily dose of Victoza?????? It does seem an improvement on three pills a day and would help me because im on the road and i cannot get to eat at the right time, it also says, yea "says" it helps you to loose weight to, now thats a bonus.

Graham 1441 :twisted: :twisted:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: This Swine Flu Jab, Is it safe.

Graham.

There is a large Topic here already about Swine Flu entitled the SWINE FLU THREAD, have moved your post. Take look here for your answers.

There is also a Topic called VICTOZA in Diabetes Discussions as well, getting bigger by the day.

Ken.

philhackett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Osteoporosis Drugs Kill Swine Flu Virus
Two existing drugs used to treat osteoporosis may be effective in killing influenza viruses, including the new H1N1 swine flu and the H5N1 bird flu viruses, researchers in Hong Kong have found.
The two drugs are pamidronate and zoledronate, which are marketed by Novartis AG under the brand names Aredia and Reclast, respectively.
In their experiment, the researchers exposed human cells that had been infected with the influenza viruses to the two drugs.
They observed that the drugs triggered extra production of a type of white blood cell called yd-T cells, which went on to kill human cells that were infected with the flu viruses.
Flu viruses can only replicate in living human or animal cells and killing infected cells would stop the viruses from replicating, the researchers said.
Professor Lau Yu-lung at the University of Hong Kong's pediatrics and adolescent medicine department described the infected human cells as "factories that will produce viruses."
"These drugs attack the viruses specifically ... This approach kills the factories that are producing viruses."
Malik Peiris, also part of the research team, said the drugs could enhance immune responses of the human body.
That was especially important as flu viruses mutate constantly, which reduces the efficacy of vaccines, he added.
The researchers plan to move next into animal and then human clinical testing.

As ever
Philip

JamesA

Is the seasonal flu jab going to be given at the same time?

Does anyone know what the latest is on swine flu jab availability? Is it still October?

I'm concerned that we may get a delay getting the seasonal jab if they are waiting for the swine flu jab to be tested.

milesrf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
spammers, off topic posters, side effects of a stroke
Do any of you want to use your computers to work on a long term project for finding a swine flu treatment?

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/projects_showcase/flu1/viewFlu1Main.do

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/

I've recently given them some information about the protein the virus uses to attach to human cells. Since the virus isn't likely to survive mutations in this protein, and most other influenza viruses probably use the same protein, anything which attacks this protein is likely to offer at least some hope of a treatment for all types of influenza which affect humans.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
Interesting thread. It's good to see the posts from the people who have had the flu and survived well.

With your winter around the corner I don't want to unduly cause concern. However, you might find the explosion of the numbers for Southern hemisphere countries, especially Australia, over our winter a little worrying. You can look at the world figures here or read more on the Oz numbers on my blog in my sig.