xDrip questions

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Having had a few duff Libre sensors recently, I'm looking at the options relating to Dexcom. I already have the android phone so I'm considering xDrip as an alternative to paying a large sum for the receiver.

I can purchase transmitter and sensors separately and legitimately, so I would like to know whether xDrip can handle calibration and sensor restarts without the receiver. Thanks for any help!

zjed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lazy Doctors and Endos
I'm running xDrip without a Dexcom receiver, there is no need for a Dexcom receiver.
xDrip has no concept of a '7 day sensor'. You start it, then use it till you remove it, my last/first sensor lasted 23 days. There is a sensor stop/stop option but it advises not to use them unless you actually remove the sensor.
xDrip calibration is pretty much the same as Dexcom, double calibration at startup, then 12 hourly. xDrip also has an option to turn off calibration alerts.

Couple of things to be aware of :-
- xDrip shows you raw data, whereas Dexcom 'massages' the data to give you a smoother/slower trend on sudden movements. I prefer the raw data.
- currently xDrip (wixel bridge) is missing a couple of readings (around 10ish a day, mainly overnight), xDrip and wixel devs are working on it.
- its a product in constant development, but it is also constantly improving. I'm now on my 3rd release of xDrip app and have had 2 updates to the wixel bridge.

I've been meaning to write a review and thoughts on this setup, I will do so shortly.
The only downside I can see for running without a Dexcom receiver is that I may have difficulty dealing with Dexcom if I try to get a faulty sensor replaced.

**Update, xDrip doesn't show raw data, it is slightly smoothed, hopefully they will add an option to show raw data

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There have been a few posts on the Dexcom / Nightscout related FB sites where UK residents have been unable to purchase items separately (other than Animas Vibe users), if they were not registered as "full" users.

Seems that if they have no record of you purchasing a full pack on day one (receiver and sensors) then in the UK its does not appear they will sell them to you separately.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
However there are places outside the UK where you can purchase transmitter and sensors (and they are within the EU).

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
However there are places outside the UK where you can purchase transmitter and sensors (and they are within the EU).

Sorry Tim, misread your first post - you wrote "I can purchase...separately" I sadly read "Can I purchase.....separately", teach me to read more carefully.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well I've purchased all my pieces for an xDrip, and I have a dead transmitter to try and resuscitate. Should this go to plan, I'll purchase a sensor (the most expensive part of the equation) and see how long I can make it last for! A project for next week... :woot:

Last edited by a moderator:

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck Tim, it's fiddly but doable. Do you have a "helping hand" for the soldering? Hopefully you are better at soldering than me! I've built 2 now so if I can be of help let me know.
What do you mean by resuscitate a dead sensor?

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, mistyped - should be transmitter.

I've built many a circuit in the past, so it doesn't look too tricky.

For someone who knows what they are doing it is simple, just that I didn't.. getting better though!

zjed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lazy Doctors and Endos
@tim2000s I presume you have found the xBridge2 wiring and wixel update here.
It plays nicely with the latest beta xDrip app and give you a bridge battery status.
Hows your soldering skills going?

zjed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lazy Doctors and Endos
Someone in the UK is about to sell xDrip kits http://xdripkit.co.uk/
Wiring is slightly different to xBridge2, has slightly different resistors which could affect battery status and must be using old wixel firmware as you have add the Dexcom Id to the firmware rather than providing it in the xDrip app.
Hopefully they update it to match what the main xDrip devs are doing.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm working from the xdrip wiki so should be okay. Unfortunately my wire didn't turn up so I have had to reorder. Shouldn't be too long now though!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just seen this, so get ready for some probably quite stoopid questions.

1) this is an Android-linked thing, so do I need to download an app? - I have an android tablet
2) does it only read out nto the Android device, or is there a live reading?
3) does it store data? Just thinking about soem places I go where they get a bit twitchy about electrical devices and I can't see them letting me carry a home-made device on site.
4) what's the average sensor price?

Thanks

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@ElyDave

1) this is an Android-linked thing, so do I need to download an app? - I have an android tablet
It is Android linked. The app aspect has to be sideloaded - it's not in the Play store.

2) does it only read out nto the Android device, or is there a live reading?
The Android device replaces the Dexcom receiver, so you see the data on the device. You can have this feed a smartwatch and Nightscout.

3) does it store data? Just thinking about soem places I go where they get a bit twitchy about electrical devices and I can't see them letting me carry a home-made device on site.
No, it is purely a forwarding device. If you can't take a home made device with you you will need the Dexcom receiver.

4) what's the average sensor price?
Pretty much the same as when buying from Dexcom. Around £55 per sensor.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@DunePlodder, @zjed, this looks like an interesting addition and it's cheap and simple to do.

http://circles-of-blue.winchcombe.org/index.php/2015/02/22/wire-free-charging-for-your-dexdrip/

I've been looking at the circuitry and it's very simple so creating a PCB for it should be pretty straightforward. That's what I will probably try to do as a next step.

I added this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KRZTH1Q/ref=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1
to my last xdrip box. It works well, if somewhat slower than a direct connection. It gets a bit warm too. The main thing is you don't need to stress any wiring when plugging in & out.

I'm now testing the xBridge2 version & I read somewhere that wireless charging can interfere with reception/transmission.

zjed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lazy Doctors and Endos
I tried a QI charger with my phone a couple of year ago, found it slow, hot and had to get my phone in exactly the right place for it to charge properly. I've got my bridge in a tic tac box with the 3d printed lid, so it's easy to plug in the charging cable each night.
I really like the idea of mounting the 2 boards to the back of my phone and running them from the phone's battery, not easy on a nexus 4 which has a glass back. I've seen some people have put the boards inside their phone and re moulded the back cover.
It would be nice to carry and charge 1 device.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well this is the soldered together bits. They appear to be doing what they should. I'll be flashing the wixel ROM tonight I hope...

290c22f4be88e6dd161c5919538d0aa6.jpg