Low-Carb Health Risks

viv1969

ally5555 said:
combination of both Sue to be honest - I am not trying to be negative but it is just a fact . There is no actual data but I keep very crude records for my own interest .

So the more correct statement to make is that low carbing may be dying out amongst your clientelle....(who incidentally take thier nutritional advice from you.), and not in the general population as you post implies. Direct effect perchance?

ally5555

No - they are fit and well!!

I think what alot of you forget is that i see alot of people and so do other Dietitians -I network alot with others and it is a general consensus amoungst those of us working at ground level!

You can read what you want it any statement but it is a fact that low carbing is not as popular as it was - I personally think it is the sustainablity of it. You may be able to keep to it but many cannot and the fact that there are people posting on here that are not low carbing says alot too!

dragongirl

Would it be correct to say that most people on here who are not low carbing are sorting their bg lvels by having meds of some sort? Or do they just go for higher levels and say well that will have to do?

Handyníall

Dislikes
Anything that'll wake us up before noon on a weekend...
Actually before I took low-carbing up my blood glucose levels were fine (no meds). I took low-carbing up partly because I happened to live with a passionate low-carber who threw all my potatoes out of the window one day... (that's true)

But my blood sugar levels were fine, if not slightly better (there was less fluctuation), my blood sugar levels go down more now than they used to (right to where glycogen kicks in) and increase slightly more. But I think that's because I switched from few and regularly to 3 bigger meals.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know why the sustainability of lo-carbing is always called into question. EVERY SINGLE DIET is difficult to stick to - that's their nature. The only diet that does not have a sustainability problem is the "eat whatever you want when you want diet" - and that one has it's own problems (namely certain death...)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I think there are multiple variations on here as everyone treats their diabetes according to their condition. A lot are on medications but still try and keep their bg levels lower by diet as well. In the general population however ,there are many who just eat what they want and think that the medication will do all the work. I hope that the info on this forum shows that that does not always work.

Romola

T2 Diet only. I follow a low glycemic load diet in order to try to keep bg levels steady.

All readings so far (one exception) have been lower than NHS guidelines.

I eat carbs at most meals in order to sustain a healthy diet - but restrict the amount I have at a time.

I think there are probably many others who do much the same.

I would also add that this has been very easy, as I get to eat lots of really nice things. I know this is over-simplifying it, but I see it as swapping children's treats for grown up ones, eg we have spent more on good wine and luxury food etc in place of cakes and sweets etc

Both I and my non-diabetic husband have lost weight and feel generally healthier all round - so no real temptation to go back to old ways.

I do have the odd pud if eating out though - as a treat.

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Would it be correct to say that most people on here who are not low carbing are sorting their bg lvels by having meds of some sort? Or do they just go for higher levels and say well that will have to do?

Yes, because insulin is terrible for your system and i could do SO well without it.
I don't low carb, i see no need to.
I have 24 units Lantus, and about 20 of Novorapid a day.
My hba1c's are fine, usually 5/6.
I count my carbs, but don't stick to a low carb diet. I am healthy, used to work as a ski instructor.
My blood glucose is fine, and i enjoy my Lasagne.
Terribly sorry to irritate you by having medications.

Patch - Not every single diet is hard to stick to. It shouldn't be. If you are constantly worried, thinking about, irritated by food, then it's not good.
Mine isn't at all. I just eat.
Generally, i choose lower carb things, i count my carbs. I eat apples -gasp-
I enjoy my food and i don't feel restricted at all.
I have a healthy weight, a healthy heart, and 16 years of type 1.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Terribly sorry to irritate you by having medications.

Celtic Piskie, Dragongirl is a type 2,I'm sure she does not mean that Type 1's should do without their medications!! :shock:

dragongirl

Celtic Piskie - really sorry my OP wasn't clear. Of course I was asking about type 2s but haven't been in this game long enough to remember all the options I need to make clear when asking something! I just wondered what other type 2s do with regard to bg levels. ie what my options are if this low carbing ceases to work for me. Not irritated at all, just exploring options - and unclear in my posting. As Sue says, I’d hardly be expecting type 1s to do without. I'll get my coat...

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Trouble is, a lot of type 2's can't go without medication either.
Some type 2's eat virtually no carbs, yet still have to take medications.

Sorry about my biting.. i have toothache.. i'm grouchy and should have thought before i posted.
It just bugs me when people think that because we're not low-carbing that we don't care.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Ally,

Graham - I dont go on any other forums .

I think you may have a problem then, someone may have stolen your identity :shock: . The following is from another forum.

by ally5555 on Sun May 10, 2009 9:25 pm
Hi everyone

any one else having a problem getting in the chat room - I have the java plug in but cannot get on there

allyx
ally5555

This is anecdotal data of my own - remember I see many people over the course of a month!

Dr Lutz has seen many more patients than you, he is acknowledged as an expert in his field of medicine. Seeing he's been using a low carb diet in the treatment of his patients for over 40years and has proved that it works are you saying he is wrong.

It is interesting that low carbing generally seems to be dying out. Who knows what will come along next but low GI is still popular but really that is what we have been doing for years.

More anecdotal evidence Ally, if anything the low carb movement is gaining momentum.

Graham xx

jopar

The replies I’ve seen so far have come as no surprise they were what I suspected sadly..

But getting back on track with what the thread is about…

Surely the question now needs to be asked, does the research data transpose to humans?

For what I understand, that when they ran this research the data should basics findings that things such as cholesterol were comparative in the low carb/ high fat/protein group as the carb/low fat group, suggesting that increasing fat and protein content and reducing the carb content had no major differential effect on the HDL, LDL and trigs which would support the claims that fats aren’t the main culprit for bad cholesterol levels at least…

How ever further testing of other receptors that play an important part of maintain and repairing the vascular system were greatly reduced in the low carb group, and this group did have vascular disease!

If we look at how the research was conceived, that a cardiologist doctor was baffled by the occurrence of heart attacks in patients that in theory (good cholesterol, low carb diet) then surely one question that needs to be asked is

If the research findings transpose to humans, is the cholesterol panel a good indicator of risk, also what part of the component of the low carb diet is missing or causing the problems with the receptors, that required to maintain and repair the vascular system..

Is there another genetic factor in an individual’s make-up that means for some the low carb diet will do no long term harm, but for others it makes this type of diet a very dangerous route to follow…

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
The replies I’ve seen so far have come as no surprise they were what I suspected sadly..

Sadly your reply comes as no surprise to me either Jopar, you can cover the extra carbs with insulin most T2s don't have that option..

I think the Nurses study that covered over 80,000 real people over 20 years not baby mice, is far more significant. Having experimented with a higher carb intake using low GI foods and seen the resulting high BG numbers I am not going to risk my eyesight and limbs on the outcome of a 12 week study on baby mice..

In fact, a retrospective analysis of the Nurses Health Study showed no differences in weight change over time between women who ate meals proportionally higher in carbohydrates vs those higher in fats and proteins but nor were rates of cardiovascular events higher in the low-carb group during 20 years of follow-up. A closer look at the types of foods being eaten, however, suggested that diets with a higher glycemic load were strongly associated with increased risk of coronary heart disease, while women who ate a high proportion of fats from vegetable sources may actually lower their risk for disease.

http://docnews.diabetesjournals.org/con ... /11.2.full

Blackadder

I have to say I have a small worry about Low-Carbing. I have been low carbing, not seriously low carbing (around 50-75g a day) since October last year. In that time I have had 2 dental check ups. Both these check ups have shown a massive increase in Plaque and very slight inflamation of th gums even though I brush and floss regularly. The dentist keeps asking if my diabetes is well controlled or if I have any other health issues. He said it could be that as I have changed my diet my metabolism has changed and thats caused it. My control is pretty **** good but I am starting to worry about this as I have read that this can be attributed to heart disease also.

Any thoughts?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've also noticed an increase in plaque on th eteeth since lo-carbing. I'm (a little...) worried that this might also indicate plaque might be building up in my arteries... :cry:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
plaque: teeth and arteries
I didn't know if there was any real relationship so I looked it up.
As in everything.... the answers yet to be determined but:

To date, the available evidence is insufficient to support any direct linkage between chronic periodontitis and cardiovascular diseases, as noted in a June 2002 JADA supplement (Adobe PDF) , and the same is true of dental plaque and arterial plaque.A related study in the same JADA supplement (Adobe PDF) reported only a moderate association—but no casual relationship—between periodontal disease and heart disease. At present, several long-term studies are underway to determine causality and to evaluate the effectiveness of periodontal interventions in reducing the incidence of heart disease and cardiovascular events

More detail in this statement by the American Dental Association.
http://www.ada.org/prof/resources/topics/science_plaque_arterial.asp