Sertraline

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been prescribed this due to suffering a few panic attacks recently and having anxiety problems, I've read the leaflet and it said that it can affect blood sugar but didn't give any specific details. I did speak to my DSN but didn't get anything other than to be aware of hypos and make sure I test. Has anyone been on this, or know whether it's more likely to make blood sugar go up or down?

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i,m on this and have noticed a rise

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
I've been prescribed this due to suffering a few panic attacks recently and having anxiety problems, I've read the leaflet and it said that it can affect blood sugar but didn't give any specific details. I did speak to my DSN but didn't get anything other than to be aware of hypos and make sure I test. Has anyone been on this, or know whether it's more likely to make blood sugar go up or down?

Hi @TooMuchGlucose. It's more likely that the stress you're experiencing from anxiety will push your BG up rather than the Sertraline. Studies suggest that for those who may experience a rise in BG, the rise is minimal. All possible side effects, of any medication, no matter how small the percentage of people reporting the particular side effect, has to be reported just in case. It is a licensing requirement.

I am also prescribed Sertraline, and have been taking it since July last year. It helped me enormously once I reached the therapeutic dose for me. It's a very effective SSRI, which probably saved my life. I noticed no BG rise, & still don't after using it for over a year. My BG is normally mid 4's to mid 5's, both fasting & postprandial.

Obviously, it's your call, but to be honest, I think it would be sensible to take the advice of your DNS & Dr, and take your prescribed medication. Stress, anxiety & mood problems can elevate BG levels enormously. Weighing up all of the available information, the Sertraline wins every time. I hope you feel better very quickly. Good luck.

Reactions: 5 people

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @TooMuchGlucose. It's more likely that the stress you're experiencing from anxiety will push your BG up rather than the Sertraline. Studies suggest that for those who may experience a rise in BG, the rise is minimal. All possible side effects, of any medication, no matter how small the percentage of people reporting the particular side effect, has to be reported just in case. It is a licensing requirement.

I am also prescribed Sertraline, and have been taking it since July last year. It helped me enormously once I reached the therapeutic dose for me. It's a very effective SSRI, which probably saved my life. I noticed no BG rise, & still don't after using it for over a year. My BG is normally mid 4's to mid 5's, both fasting & postprandial.

Obviously, it's your call, but to be honest, I think it would be sensible to take the advice of your DNS & Dr, and take your prescribed medication. Stress, anxiety & mood problems can elevate BG levels enormously. Weighing up all of the available information, the Sertraline wins every time. I hope you feel better very quickly. Good luck.

Thank you, it's not that I wasn't going to take it just wanted to be prepared for any outcomes really. I hope you feel better in yourself as well soon.

Reactions: 2 people

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Hi there,

I was on Sertraline for about two years. I suffer with GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) and was prescribed this. I can not say that it had any adverse side effects on m blood glucose.

If it did it would have been minimal !

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What doses were you guys put on? Because I've been put on 50mg which seems quite high I though anti-depressants started at 20mg, and thanks for replying Kevin.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
What doses were you guys put on? Because I've been put on 50mg which seems quite high I though anti-depressants started at 20mg, and thanks for replying Kevin.

@TooMuchGlucose. The dose you're on is the correct starting dose for Sertraline. Your doctor will gradually increase this dose, if necessary, until you reach the therapeutic dose for you. I take 200mg daily, and it's working well. Your start dose of 50mg is not high at all, so please don't worry.

Every medication, including SSRI's (antidepressants,) have a different starting dose. Sertraline isn't even made in 20mg tablets. Perhaps you're comparing it to Fluoxetine or Paroxetine, which belong to the same category of drug, and do tend to be started at a 20mg dose. X

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@TooMuchGlucose. The dose you're on is the correct starting dose for Sertraline. Your doctor will gradually increase this dose, if necessary, until you reach the therapeutic dose for you. I take 200mg daily, and it's working well. Your start dose of 50mg is not high at all, so please don't worry.

Every medication, including SSRI's (antidepressants,) have a different starting dose. Sertraline isn't even made in 20mg tablets. Perhaps you're comparing it to Fluoxetine or Paroxetine, which belong to the same category of drug, and do tend to be started at a 20mg dose. X

Yeah I was on Fluoxetine a few years ago and that was 20mg I guess that's why I'm getting mixed up, thank you for clearing this up :)