So happy!

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in February with Type 2 diabetes, at my highest ever recorded weight to boot. I spent a couple of months pretending it was nothing, and going through the shock, anger, denial and acceptance phases. At the end of April I managed to turn my mindset around and asked for advice and support on here. I got it in spades, read a couple of books, started a very low carb diet, and here are the results after 4 months.

HbA1c: Feb = 49 Sept = 36 (non-diabetic)

Trigs: Feb = 2.36 Sept = 1.06 (in normal range)

HDL: Feb = 1.13 Sept = 1.48

BMI: Feb = 40 Sept = 34 (still a way to go, but in the right direction)

I am especially happy with my HbA1c as at this stage I am simply unable to reduce my fasting blood glucose to non-diabetic values (which are 3.9 - 5.5; mine are somewhere within 5.7 - 7.1). This means that it's more important to control daytime/ post-prandial values (through LCHF) then worry about the dawn phenomenon...

My GP said that my HbA1c result was puzzling, as it had been steadily climbing in the last 5 years from a pre-diabetic value of 42. I told her that I achieved it through low carbing and she was surprised but positive - told me to keep it up, which I certainly intend to!

A big thank you to everybody on here for your support, advice, commiserations and funny pics (you know who you are!) ;)

Reactions: 21 people

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
I was diagnosed in February with Type 2 diabetes, at my highest ever recorded weight to boot. I spent a couple of months pretending it was nothing, and going through the shock, anger, denial and acceptance phases. At the end of April I managed to turn my mindset around and asked for advice and support on here. I got it in spades, read a couple of books, started a very low carb diet, and here are the results after 4 months.

I am especially happy with my HbA1c as at this stage I am simply unable to reduce my fasting blood glucose to non-diabetic values (which are 3.9 - 5.5; mine are somewhere within 5.7 - 7.1). This means that it's more important to control daytime/ post-prandial values (through LCHF) then worry about the dawn phenomenon...

My GP said that my HbA1c result was puzzling, as it had been steadily climbing in the last 5 years from a pre-diabetic value of 42. I told her that I achieved it through low carbing and she was surprised but positive - told me to keep it up, which I certainly intend to!

A big thank you to everybody on here for your support, advice, commiserations and funny pics (you know who you are!) ;)
That's brilliant, well done you obviously worked hard at achieving your goal and all credit to you!

Reactions: 2 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Well done congratulations :D

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That's great news. Well done! So pleased for you.We were both diagnosed in February so have something in common. I also can't get my fasting readings down.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Wonderful results! You must feel great losing weight. I once had a BMI of 46, so I know what it's like to live in a large body. Not fun at all.

Well done on your efforts!!

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only