night time hypos

flojos mum

Chloe has been for a group meeting with nurse and part of the discussion was about night time hypos.
Nurse say to them- you`ve probably had hypos at night already, you probably have been unconcious for about an hour during the night, then gone high. It can happen quite often.
This has resulted in Chloe who is 11 and hasnt slept properly since being diagnosed having panic attacks at night. last night she got up 3 times crying and her heart pounding, hands shaking saying she couldnt sleep. I did check her blood and they were 9.7.
She seems to be going through a period of being scared of her diabetes again but much worse, we do have a stressful time in the family at the moment which cant be helping but last night she seemed to be frightened to go to sleep.
Could you let us know about any experinces you have had with night time hypos- do you wake up feeling unwell, any really bad ones and how they were solved. Any advice to her on how to deal with the worry.
Thank you as always
Charlie

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Charlie,
That was so inconsiderate of Chloes nurse to tell her those things,( i'd love to give that nurse a slap) Even an adult would find those remarks frightening.
Andrew has suffered night time hypos in the past, and his body has woken him every time, he has wondered into my room saying he's had a nightmare, checked bs and its always been below 4. He has had sweet dreams and full nights sleep for at least the past 3yrs.
Tell Chloe it's natural for the human body to wake its self somehow when going low, and not to worry, she'll make herself ill through lack of sleep and worry. Educate her about liver dumps during the night, think its the bodies natural deffence when going low and tell her, that i think her nurse is a moron. If things don't improve, get an appointment with her Diabetic consultant, explain the situation and see if Chloe can get refered for some helpful councilling.
Love to you both,
Suzi x

PlymouthDave

If it's any help, I have woken every time during the night when I have had a hypo. I will wake up once my scores get below 4 and I start to feel it. I think it is as natural as waking up for the toilet and couldn't imagine sleeping through one. I hope this helps to reassure her.

Dave

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
That nurse wants shooting. Most people do wake if they have a night time hypo.
Haing scared Chloe, she should now get her a continuous monitor for a few days.
Chloe is a child and needs her sleep. Try putting a baby monitor into her room for a few nights and see if that helps her to relax.

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
Sorry to hear Chloe is so upset! I was ill as a child (not diabetes) and rememeber how frightening and horrible it can be not understanding your body. It might be useful to email the younger persons section so she can hear from people her own age and maybe she can chat direct to them on line about it- make it more normal so to speak.
I have had diabetes since feb and my first hypo was quite frightening- but it really is true what people say it isnt that bad- l actually see sdiabetes sort of as a blessing in disguise- much healthier and life is so much better now. My body woke me every time with a night time hypo- just think there are loads of us diabetics and we all get them :) The more balanced and on top of it Chloe get's the more stable her blood sugar will be all round and in my experience maybe even less hypo's. Best wishes and a big hug to you and Chloe xxx

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Charlie
So sorry your daughter is going through this it must be a constant stress.
I had an interesting discussion with another type-1 at the weekend. When we were both on Lantus,which we have both since been taken off. We experienced horrible overnight and morning problems. I had very vivid dreams, and woke up feeling lousy. My blood sugar was often high in the morning,but as I had been up for the loo in the night and checked my BG I had no reason to suspect overnight hypos. When I had these dreams I was so exhausted and ill in the morning. I woke up with pounding heart and once was taken to hospital as my heart rate would not slow down, despite trying. I really thought I was having a heart attack, but thankfully it wasn't.
I don't know what insulin your daughter takes, but it might be worth discussing a change in medication to your doctor.
Having had a child with very serious illness, I can totally relate to your situation, and hope things get better for you both.
Jus

flojos mum

thank you all for the support and infomation. I have sent her to bed with levels at 8.8 and a carb snack, she has been having a bad time hating her diabetes over the last few months and this has just fueled her feelings. I have talked to her and showed her the comments on here so hopefully she will sleep better tonight, she has been waking 2-3 times a night due to mixture of high bloods and stress but levels alot better the last week.
I know she is stressed due to this and with out going into too much detail her nana is very ill and doctors have told us she wont be with us for much longer- stress definately sends her high in 20 and high teen for days despite increasing to 2 units for 10g and adjusting for levels as well.
she is starting high school soon so want her as strong emotionally and mentally as possible. She worries because her hypo signs arent great during the day, can easliy get to 1.4 or lower and only say I feel a bit weird nothing much!
I just wanted to know if the general thing was you do wake up and get my facts right.
What do you find the best thing to eat before bed? she is loving ryvitas at the moment are they a good snack before bed- we`re still at the trial and error point.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi,
Going as low as 1.4 without symptoms is a real concern. Unfortunately hypo-unawareness and synthetic insulins do seem to go hand in hand for some people. I've been type-1 for 20 years and apart from 1 night time coma which was completly misjudged of my short-acting, I can honestly say I've never registered a BG that low.
You need to research what medication your daughter is taking; you will be aware that it is synthetic insulin not insulin, and although it mimics the blood sugar-lowering qualities of 'natural' insulin, it does lack in other ways. It is certainly not normal for type-1s should not lose their hype-awareness until after many years of having the conditon; although patients who were forced onto synthetic insulins in the 80s from animal animal insulins reported loss of hypo-awareness.
You really need to speak to your daughter's doctor about this one, I can quite understand how frightened she must be feeling.
Jus

WhimsicalWays

Hi Flojo,

I'm sorry for all the anxieties you are experiencing. I have been diabetic for 15 years and do experience night-time hypos. Nowadays, the VAST majority of these cause me to wake up and treat it with food, thank goodness. Whenever I wake up (even if it's clearly just to go to the washroom) I always take my blood to gain a sense of where my blood sugar is, and where my blood sugar is going... Also, when I am tired, I am a lot worse at picking up signs of hypos.

When I was younger, however, it was a bit of a different story. Sometimes my body would wake me up when I experienced a hypo in the night, but I have to admit that my poor mother did have the experience of coming into my room in the morning (sometimes in the middle of the night, when she came to check on me) to find me quite unresponsive/drenched in sweat/ having a terrible hypo. [in these cases, she would rub gluco-gel into the inside of my cheeks, or if I could swallow and talk, give me orange juice]. I think that most often this was due to the 'lag effect' of taking dance classes later in the night (7pm-9pm). I continued to decrease my insulin and, ultimately, ended up taking no long lasting insulin, but did still experience the odd bad hypo. Happily, today we have fast acting insulin etc. that helps to avoid most of these lows (I was only giving 2 injections back then and, thus, had to figure out my meal plan for the entire day). But I can definitely relate to you and your daughter's current struggles...

I would recommend eating protein before bed, in addition to the carbs Chloe is currently eating. When I was younger I would often have a piece of toast with peanut butter, and also experimented with lower-carb protein shakes before bed. For me, the protein helped me to get through the night. When my hypos were very low (and even now-a-days, when I am a little unsure about how I'll get through the night) I set my alarm to wake myself up a couple of times throughout the night in order to check my blood glucose levels. Of course this is not an ideal long term plan as it interrupts the sleep cycle, but it could help you to document her blood sugars over the night...

As for her going to 1.4 without recognizing - yes, this could be a symptom of a general lack of hypo-awareness. However, we must keep in mind that when kids at this age are going to school they aver very distracted - they worry about friends' impressions of them, teachers, gym class, notes to take in class, homework to submit, tests etc. Such preoccupations can lead to missing the signs... Even today, when I am really engaged in something I might not catch a low until a bit lower than usual. While I have just recently ordered a continuous glucose monitor (by Medtronic) for myself, it sounds like this might be a good option for Chloe. Also, 1.4 is dangerous, so talking to your team about whether there are steps to increase hypo-awareness might be a good step.

Anyway, sorry for the long message... Take good care. Hang in there, you are doing a great job!

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
My son is only nearly 3 so doesn't really have any hypo awareness. I get up and check his blood sugar most nights at about 2.30am. Mostly he is fine but I have found him in the 2's a few times. There have been a couple of occassions that I have heard him making 'different' noises in his sleep and got up to find him below 4mml. Would it be reassuring if you got up for a few nights and checked so you'd both knew what was going on? I'd be getting up and checking after active days also.

I really think nurses don't think of the consequences of their actions and these sort of problems also happen at school with teachers singling the diabetic child out in front of their peers.

I suppose the only positive is that it should be understood that people don't usually die from having a hypo and the body is quite amazing how it can take care of itself.

I hope you are able to somehow reassure your daughter that she'll be okay. Maybe get her to go back and read the positive things she wrote about having diabetes.

All the best, Jen.

flojos mum

thanks for all the messages, Chloe slept from 10pm-ish till 7am getting up twice soI think she is relaxing a bit now.
We are going to try a few different snacks at night, thanks for the protein tip! I do test her bloods during the night when needed, mainly when she has been on the low side all day or been out and about or excericing in the evening but I would rather wake at 2am and test than stop her doing what her friends are doing. I do try not to be the obessed mother, when she was diagnosed last october for months I would sit in the room just watching thinking is she ok but that has long gone. I think she has got through this as she seems alot more comfortable and happier - thanks to you guys!
As always you amaze me Jenny and want to say how very proud you should be, not only of your son but of what a fantastic mother you are.
As for the hypos when she has gets low without knowing, I think whimsical Ways is close to the mark she is usually busy doing something and doesnt have hugh hypo sympotoms so they go unnoticed, What myself and the consultant do, and its been done many times, is reduce insulin to make her go slighty high 10ish for a few days then bring her blood sugars back down to normal level in the hope she feels funny at about 4.5. This works brilliantly for a few weeks then back to lows again. At the moment her bloods are very good, stress levels better and she is on the go all the time which I am finding really helps.
Chloe is starting high school in 2 weeks so we shall see how that pans out. Heres to a good nights sleeps for all tonight!