What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 2 poached eggs, 2 toasted LivLifes with butter, cherry tomatoes
L: Stilton, salad & mayo
D: Spicy fish stew, steamed veg

Reactions: 12 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Ok, I'm awaiting official diagnosis although my Dr has said I AM diabetic. I have a 2nd blood test tomorrow but she very much doubts it will be below 6.0 I'm trying hard to reduce carbs and drastically change my diet and eating (bad) habits so if I'm going wrong then I hope someone will tell me ;) :)

B - None
L - Salad (mixed lettuce leaves, cherry tomatoes, cucumber) with a tin of mackerel. Greek Yoghurt.
S - Broccoli and Stilton Cuppa Soup and 4x Oatcakes
D - Smoked River Cobbler (grilled) and 2 field mushrooms with 2 small slices of wholemeal bread. Small bar (Aldi's) 70% Cocoa chocolate (treat)

And very shortly I need to fast for my blood test so it'll be mineral water only :(
Good luck :)

Reactions: 2 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Cheese, olives and walnuts
L: Celery, olives, cheese, avocado and lots of EVOO
D: gammon, spinach & cheese, avocado salad, some straws, blues and rasps.

Reactions: 11 people

Ceres

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Peanut butter mug cake with double cream
L: Tuna salad and mayo sandwich on an Oopsie roll
D: Chicken, bacon and mushroom carbonara with shirataki noodles

Reactions: 9 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
B. 1 slice seeded toast with 2oz potted meat
L. 2 Turkey burgers (home made) with 2egg omelette
D. Roast beef (loads) , salad greens, coleslaw
S. 2oz cheese, 3 m&s crispy bacon strips 5 almonds. ( 3 snacks)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffeencream
L: minted lamb kebabs and a coyo
D: will be chicken breast with cauli cheese and some greenery (won't know what til i have investigated the veg drawer.)

No snacks (i have been snacking more lately, and am pleased that i didnt want any today.

Now, need to get cooking, because i'm getting peckish!

suehatton

Wow. Just had a bit of an eye opener on MFP (as recommended by @geoffers) on the amount of calories Im having. Havent been checking because Im using Gary Taubes book as my bible and that says calories arent important. But Im not seeing the weight loss I would expect for a woman of my size (about 215) so it must be a factor....thoughts anyone?
B. Bacon, eggs and a bit of leftover ratatouille
L. Salmon and roast veg
S. Nuts and cheese
Still deciding on dinner because lunch was huge.

Reactions: 5 people

imustitch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, Wrong place to write probably, but how do you start on LCHF? I was diagnosed at the end of August. I had been losing weight, but since I started on metformin and glic I've stopped losing weight at slimming world even with lower carbs. I need fast results because I have fatty liver disease as well, and I want to control this by diet alone if I can.

Reactions: 2 people

maisiepug

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
idiots who think they know everything but they really know nothing
B coffee n cream
L tuna fish
D Cauliflower and broccoli with half a beef tomato covered with grated cheese and baked

Reactions: 5 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Hi all, Wrong place to write probably, but how do you start on LCHF? I was diagnosed at the end of August. I had been losing weight, but since I started on metformin and glic I've stopped losing weight at slimming world even with lower carbs. I need fast results because I have fatty liver disease as well, and I want to control this by diet alone if I can.
Hi there... this is what I did...
First - I started to measure my food. It's important.
Second - I found something to record my meals. I use "MyFitnessPal.com" but there are others.
Third- I picked a carb limit. I aim for less than 30 grammes. Some folks start with more and then work down, but I went "cold turkey" when I started back in July.

After that, I try to eat roughly equal weight of fat and protein. Fat carries twice as many calories per gramme than protein does, so if you eat the same weight of each then you'll get twice as many fat calories as protein calories. From what I've read, that's a good balance. The mix is about right.

I worried about eating fats, because of all the advice we've had for years in the UK. But it's a fact that I have lost weight, lowered blood sugars AND LOWERED CHOLESTEROL since I've been on LCHF.

Good fatty foods ... avocado, olive oil, double cream, many nuts, butter, oily fish, cheese, coconut oil... all good & yummy.

Usual disclaimers ... I am not you, I'm no expert, I don't know your medical history, what works for one doesn't work for all ... etc etc. You need to decide for yourself - I could be any old yahoo on the internet!

Having said all that - it's working for me.

Reactions: 12 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow. Just had a bit of an eye opener on MFP (as recommended by @geoffers) on the amount of calories Im having. Havent been checking because Im using Gary Taubes book as my bible and that says calories arent important. But Im not seeing the weight loss I would expect for a woman of my size (about 215) so it must be a factor....thoughts anyone?
L. Salmon and roast veg
S. Nuts and cheese
@suehatton I have to ask.... how was lunch huge? the fish or the veg or both.... and what was the veg and how was it roasted?
Questions....

Reactions: 3 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: chia seeds are back!
L: same as yesterday, with chilli sauce and loads of baked garlic.
D: Zizzi, Antipasta and Sea bass, surprisingly good.

Here's the thing.
Tested before we went out:
18:15...... 3.2
eating 19:30
21:30....... 6.1

I've been getting some pretty low numbers late afternoon... and am clueless as to what is going on.... nothing has changed in months of feeding.... see previous submissions to thread.
I don't feel really any different, dizzy, eyes are fine, not had a headache is diagnosis... am feeling slightly cold in ma bones....
Will post a more considered note sometime soon.

Reactions: 6 people

FloraDora

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit of a newbie, still experimenting with food, have a lot to do .......

Breakfast Alpro Simply Plain, blueberries and strawberries, sprinkle of
Lidl Milled Linseed With Sunflower Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, Goji Berries and Chia Seeds

Lunch Home made butter nut squash soup with a splash of cream. Half an apple, half a satsuma

Dinner Pan fried yellow fin sole, oven cooked celeriac chips, baked tomato topped with cheese, spoonful of peas

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a sort of fasting day today as I had a bit of a migraine and started off with a highish wake up/fasting level of 7.0. I just had a coffee with almond milk and a teaspoonful of coconut oil, and a dollop of almond butter, then only drinks till evening. Dinner was curried cauliflower and chicken with broccoli, a little yoghurt and a slice of orange, I accidentally added a small piece of my husband's curried potato to my plate. I'd microwaved a mix of a small eating apple and blackberries with a little butter, and sesame flour for thickener, and had about a 1/3 of this with a couple of hazelnut fat balls - ground hazelnuts, sukrin gold and butter mix. Interestingly with the small pices potato, orange, and apple I had a pre dinner reading of 7.1, a 1 hour post meal level of 7.5, and a 2 hour level of 7.3, so no problem at all with them. I know I can eat a little orange or apple but I thought that all three together might have a worse result!

Robbity

suehatton

@suehatton I have to ask.... how was lunch huge? the fish or the veg or both.... and what was the veg and how was it roasted?
Questions....
Well about 100 g of salmon and toms, courgette, onion and pepper roasted this morning and eaten cold. It felt like loads...but the olive oil was too heavy for it cold and I think thats what made it feel like more. Next time Im going to drain off as much of the oil as I can.

Reactions: 4 people

Ceres

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
L. Salmon and roast veg
S. Nuts and cheese

Sue, I have a fair chunk of weight to lose (and a fatty liver to rid myself of, as well), so I'm restricting calories as well as carbs. Generally, I try to stick to under 1000 calories per day (I did under 800 for the first couple of weeks, but started to feel quite ill, dizzy, etc).

My understanding is that you can likely eat more on LCHF as opposed to a solely-calorie-restricted diet and still lose weight, but there is a limit to that, and if you're stalling, you may wish to cut down the calories for a period of time. Of course, other factors will influence the rate of your weight loss, but maybe try lowering your caloric intake first and see what happens?

Reactions: 7 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Something definitely to be aware of is the fact that although it's often used as a weight loss diet LCHF isn't necessarily meant as such. You can maintain or even gain weight on it, so to a point calories are important, and if you're eating a high(er) fat diet you can easily pack away a fair number of calories. So to lose weight we actually need to eat just enough so that our bodies have to burn some of our stored fat instead of of taking it all from what we've eaten.

Robbity

Reactions: 7 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
B - Bulletproof coffee. For some reason that didn't sit well with me and I felt a bit nauseous most of the working day. Skipped lunch entirely.
S - 20g pork scratchings and a babybel. This was later in the afternoon when I started feeling a bit better.
D - Courgette carbonara. I like courgette spaghetti, but this dish just isn't the same anymore.

I agree with @Ceres and @Robbity above - for weight loss you still have to watch the total calories you eat. It still surprised me how many calories are in just a tablespoon of butter or double cream - my bulletproof coffee, with coconut oil, butter and double cream, is almost 500 calories of fat!

Reactions: 13 people

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: Almond scones & homemade chicken liver pate
L: Aubergine and homemade meat patties stir fried in coconut oil served with grated herbed cheddar, raspberries & cream
D: Tuna & avocado salad, no added sugar jelly & cream

Reactions: 4 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had to get up at 3:45 so breakfast was a compromise......

B: Coffee with Cream
B2: Cold Chipolatas with some Cheese
L: Mousakka & Salad
D: Pan roasted Cod Loin on a Prawn and Tomato sauce with Salad, but I didn't eat most of the salad.
P: 2 squares of 85% with a clotted cream topping (couldn't make a sandwich as the choc had been in the fridge and was too hard to eat as a sarni)