Meter that calculates insulin requirements

DavidnVicky

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,
Does anyone have any recommendations for a suitable meter that calculates insulin requirements?
Also I understand that you can get attachments for pens that tell you the last time you injected.
Many thanks in advance for your help.
David

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
There's bg meters like the Accu-Chek Aviva Expert which has a bolus advisor.

There are memory attachments which go on the end of pens, one is called Timesulin and I just forget the other, some pens like the NovoPen Echo have the memory device built-in to the pen.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Your CCG may well have specific guidelines to which meters are allowed....

Eg this is just one example of how one CCG is now restricting GPs and Hospitals....

http://www.barkingdagenhamccg.nhs.uk/About-us/Medicines-management/primary-care-guidelines.htm

Click on the "blood glucose monitoring meters snd test dtrip guidelines (Sept 2015)

If you want a meter that gives advice on bolusing then you should have been on a course and nowadays may well have to be done by a consultant...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
All CCG's will be reviewing their guidelines...this particular CCG has pretty gruesome guidelines for issuing bloodstrips.. Let alone the meters..

The novo echo pens are good as they do 1/2 ml units too.

C-Mack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like my Freestyle InsuLinx. It does the math from me for carbs and corrections and also logs the basal insulin. I haven't seen anything that links the pen to it. I have the novopen Echo and love it.

DavidnVicky

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry forgot to ask if anyone knows whether the Echo pen will accept the Levemir and Nova Rapid cartridges.
Thanks alot

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@DavidnVicky I don't have the echo but use the novapen 5 which is the same pen but doesn't do half units - and can confirm the levemir and novorapid penfil 3ml cartridges fit as thats what I use. And it's so handy being able to tell how long ago and how much was last injected. I also use the Insulinx meter mentioned above.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sorry forgot to ask if anyone knows whether the Echo pen will accept the Levemir and Nova Rapid cartridges.
Thanks alot

Yes for both. Ideally get them in fldifferent colours jough. Mine red pen for basal and blue pen for bolus!

Reactions: 2 people