Do you have any foods that spike most people, but are fine for you (and vice versa)?

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
For example, logically speaking, a burrito should send my blood sugar through the roof, but they don't. The carb count in them is insane, and I'm on a weak 30/70 insulin. EVERYTHING has been spiking me lately (I'm changing soon to BB as I think my body is becoming resistant to this one). We had a treat tonight because we've hardly eaten all day, and a burrito and nachos hasn't sent me over 9.0. Yet low carb tomato and chicken soup sent me to 15 the other night! I find that other diabetics can eat chips without much hassle, yet any more than a handful for me spikes me like crazy. I also can't eat anything in breadcrumbs, because apparently 15g of breadcrumbs on a fish fillet makes my insulin angry.

Do you have any "no-no for diabetic" foods that you find you can eat just fine? I know we can eat anything in moderation if you take the right dose, but still, I'm curious. When I am hypo, I find grapes and cereal works better than glucose tablets, coke/lucazade/soda or jelly babies.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am fine with a measured portion of porridge with berries and creme freshe - look at the humus in the fridge and I can feel the sugar rising, terrible with beans and pulses

Suzannelife

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
BOLL
Why the foods that spike most people are fine for us? No.

Lozj82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i find rice and things like corn or flour wraps (oohh and pizza) spike me but i am fine with chips etc, all does my head in but it can be done, i normally have insulin before eating and then take a few more shots a couple of hours later (depending on what i have eaten) its just a pain to work out what you need to take and what makes you spike.

I also find certain fruit does too, sometimes feel like i cant eat anything and might as well just stick to protein and nothing else to save confusion

Last edited by a moderator:

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi . I seem to be able to eat whole grains that has helped me smooth out my blood sugar and has helped to keep it stable
Clive

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Rice send my bgs in to orbit but a few chips have very little effect

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can eat two slices of seeded bread with little affect but a single thin or wrap (although less carbs) caused my BS to rise significantly. I also found that anything in breadcrumbs, such as Scampi, caused my BS to rise quite high!

Lancelot J

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower, Broccoli. And loud, ignorant opinionated people.
Everything I read told me pineapple was 'poison' but, screw it, I like fresh pineapple! So I had some and tested! Nothing! It puts my blood up less than any other type of fruit.

Reactions: 2 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think this shows just how different we all are because what one person can't eat another one can so we can never say to anyone they have to cut out certain foods when they may be fine with them

PlanetR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I doubt that we are all different. I think there is a deplorable lack of proper research.

For me diet/sugar free/no calories drinks are a nightmare.

I would like your opinions on whether just the smell of something sugary can increase your sugar levels?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I cant tolerate bread, potatoes, rice, pasta ect bit Im fine with chocolate.