Could I need more carbs??

Emma158

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

I'm starting to feel really overwhelmed with everything and am feeling anxious about going back to work next week after my diagnosis as I am concerned I will not be able to manage my blood sugar very well. I am mostly concerned about lunch time as my BG seems to be going down to just over 4 when I check it two hours after lunch even when I've had bread. Does this mean I need to increase my carbs or am on too much medication?? I am on 4 units of insulatard twice a day and 80mg of gliclazide twice a day. I ate 2 boiled eggs, a slice of bread and an alpen bar today and BG was 4.3 after 2 hours.

I thought I was coping quite well but I feel like the more I read the more anxious I feel. :(

Emma

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi emma158, i'm t2, but i can recommend dr r bernsteins book diabetes explained 4th edition,he covers t1 advices and corrections very well, hope it helps,clive

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Emma158! If you have a choice between cutting down on meds or upping your carbs to fit your meds then I'd most certainly ask a Dr if I could cut down on meds.

Reactions: 4 people

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You should contact your DSN to find out what you should do. You shouldn't have to eat to your medication - your weight would rise for a start!

Were you actually told you are Type 1? I just wondered, as you are newly diagnosed and are on gliclazide as well as insulin.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your medication doses will have been prescribed according to eating normal or slightly reduced carbs. If you have gone very low carb your doses will need amending. The fewer carbs you eat, the less insulin is needed to cope with them. You need to speak to your nurse.

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you newly diagnosed? Your healthcare team should have put you on basal bolus (unless you have come off this).

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng17/chapter/1-Recommendations#insulin-therapy-2

"1.7.1 Offer multiple daily injection basal–bolus insulin regimens, rather than twice‑daily mixed insulin regimens, as the insulin injection regimen of choice for all adults with type 1 diabetes. Provide the person with guidance on using multiple daily injection basal–bolus insulin regimens. [new 2015]

1.7.2 Do not offer adults newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes non‑basal–bolus insulin regimens (that is, twice‑daily mixed, basal only or bolus only). [new 2015]"

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Are you newly diagnosed? Your healthcare team should have put you on basal bolus (unless you have come off this).

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng17/chapter/1-Recommendations#insulin-therapy-2

"1.7.1 Offer multiple daily injection basal–bolus insulin regimens, rather than twice‑daily mixed insulin regimens, as the insulin injection regimen of choice for all adults with type 1 diabetes. Provide the person with guidance on using multiple daily injection basal–bolus insulin regimens. [new 2015]

1.7.2 Do not offer adults newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes non‑basal–bolus insulin regimens (that is, twice‑daily mixed, basal only or bolus only). [new 2015]"
Agreed. Although the team may not have started implementing this yet because the change to the guidelines is very recent.

Emma158

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Were you actually told you are Type 1? I just wondered, as you are newly diagnosed and are on gliclazide as well as insulin.

Hi,
the nurse said all signs were pointing to type 1 on diagnosis but I received my antibody results after I posted yesterday and they were negative. The nurse was surprised and said they should have checked more than one type of antibody so I am none the wiser.......

Emma158

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks for your message. I am newly diagnosed but was not put on a basal bolus - I'm wondering whether they were awaiting antibody blood test results

Emma158

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your medication doses will have been prescribed according to eating normal or slightly reduced carbs. If you have gone very low carb your doses will need amending. The fewer carbs you eat, the less insulin is needed to cope with them. You need to speak to your nurse.

Thank you- I did call her and my insulin has been reduced. She seemed quite flummoxed though with how I had got the levels down so much ....

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you- I did call her and my insulin has been reduced. She seemed quite flummoxed though with how I had got the levels down so much ....

Well done! Diet is the key, no matter what meds you are on. Did you tell her about your reduced carbs?

Emma158

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done! Diet is the key, no matter what meds you are on. Did you tell her about your reduced carbs?

She didn't specifically mention carbs but she did ask if I'd drastically changed my diet so I told her that of course I had as I wanted to do what I could to improve things for me. I'm eating regularly and a lot more veg and fish and enjoying my meals more. I'm thinking I may be Type 2 rather than Type 1 as the DN initially suspected.....

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, she can't complain as you are proving that restricted carbs lowers blood sugars. Keep up the good work. :)

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Congrats on your good results! :)