Type 1 Unable To Lose Weight

BeckieMarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey.
I'm pretty new to this but thought I'd give it a shot as I read the forum as it is.
I'm 19, type 1 and have been diagnosed 3 years now. I am having trouble losing weight.
I currenfly go to the gym, and have been for around 8 months now, and eat very healthily. (I do weight training).
I haven't seen any changes in myself and have actually put on 25kgs!!
Could it be related to diabetes?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
What do you count as eating healthy?

I've been T1 30+ years been on various insulins including a pump for 5 years and also started at the gym 15 weeks ago. The heaviest time I have ever weighed was being advised to eat more carbs...I lower carb.

Are you within normal range for your BMI?

Had you lost weight pre disgnosis. Your photo doesn't show your face as carrying any extra weight!!

Depends upon the food you are eating and the activities that you do.. The gym isn't everything if say you are sat at a desk all day?

How many carbs are you a eraging on a day?

andy williams

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Basically, if you can't lose weight you are eating too many calories. If you eat more calories than you burn, you put weight on. If you eat less calories than you burn, you lose weight.

If you are putting on weight then you are eating too much fat and/or carbohydrate.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Agree with all of the above. Are you using the same dose of insulin at each meal, or do you adjust it depending on how many grams of carbs in the meal, and other factors?

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Basically, if you can't lose weight you are eating too many calories. If you eat more calories than you burn, you put weight on. If you eat less calories than you burn, you lose weight.

If you are putting on weight then you are eating too much fat and/or carbohydrate.
That approach completely disregards the effect of hormones and such and look on the human body as a machine, in short, it's simply not true. Insulin, for example, stops our bodies from using the stored fat and high amounts of carbs seems to lead to leptin resistance. In reality not all calories are created equal. What you eat and drink is much more important.

Then there is thyroid hormones and hypothyroidism is known to cause considerable weight gain even if you've completely lost your appetite.

Reactions: 2 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey.
I'm pretty new to this but thought I'd give it a shot as I read the forum as it is.
I'm 19, type 1 and have been diagnosed 3 years now. I am having trouble losing weight.
I currenfly go to the gym, and have been for around 8 months now, and eat very healthily. (I do weight training).
I haven't seen any changes in myself and have actually put on 25kgs!!
Could it be related to diabetes?
Hi BeckieMarie

I have had Type 1 for 48 years and also like sport and fitness. At various points in my life I have encountered this problem. It sort of crept up on me. I would be exercising regularly and getting fitter, but at some point I would also get fatter. In my case it was because I didn't know how to adapt my insulin regime to my activities.

When you exercise, you develop more muscle and your muscles simultaneously become more insulin sensitive. This means that for the same amount of insulin you need MORE carbohydrates. Or you can do it the other way round: for the same amount of carbohydrates you need LESS insulin.

But the classic advice from doctors, dieticians etc, is to take more carbohydrates when you exercise. This works because it prevents hypos. However, it doesn't work if you want to LOSE weight, which is your case. In your case, you need to reduce insulin.

(I found that I just used to snack without thinking when my blood sugars were getting low after exercise, and i never "counted" those snacks. So in fact I was eating much more than I realised because the snacks were "medicine" - hypo-stoppers, in my mind - not in my belly, though :(. Even now, I can still do this, but I try to be much more aware as I am trying to lose some weight too. Today, for example, I ate my breakfast of 45g of carbs, which is recorded in my pump memory but then my blood sugar dropped a fair bit mid-morning and I ate a fig. Then I had lunch - again 45g. So my pump record shows 90g today. In fact I have eaten about 105- 110g. And that's before we get onto the calories).

According to Gary Scheiner's book, Think Like a Pancreas, if you are going to do aerobic exercise within 2 hours of a bolus you should reduce like this:

Low intensity:
short duration (15-30 mins): take only 90% of normal bolus
moderate duration (40-60 mins) 80%
long duration (>60 mins) 70%

Moderate intensity:
short duration: 75%
moderate duration: 67%
long duration: 50%

High intensity:
short duration: 67%
Moderate duration: 50%
long duration: 33

Intensity is not decided by heart rate measure, just by your perceived error.

If you do it like this, you can gradually learn to adjust so you don't need to carb load for exercise. You can burn fat instead. Of course, you should have emergency carbs to hand, in case you get it wrong. And you may find sometimes you go high because you cut too much. But you gradually learn how to adjust for yourself.

Anaerobic exercise is different, and a bit more complicated, but can also be worked out with a set of principles like this. I am guessing that you are doing aerobic/cardio because you want to lose weight.

The good news is that since you have been exercising so much, underneath the extra weight you have put on (and I doubt that as a woman you have put on 25kg muscle in that time. Academics would be performing biological tests on you!), at least SOME of it is muscle, and that will help you a great deal to lose fat, once you work out how to cut carbs at the same time.

taylorbrown

Hello, yes, no doubt but don't panic, you can treat it and reduce it naturally, reduce your sugar, pastry , fat food consumption but eat as much veggies as you can.