Spoon Theory

Carol11

I found this site while researching another topic . The writer has Lupus, another auto-immune disease, but plug in type 1 or hypothyroid and it can apply to us. It is so true and realistic, its scary. Would also be a useful tool for those who do not and cannot understand . Carol

www.butyoudontlooksick.com/the_spoon_theory

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It's interesting reading and obviously relevant to Lupus and some other generally debilitating illnesses. you say it can refer to T1, but Isuspect a lot of T1s wouldn't agree.
I'm T2 and I am NOT ill. I have few limitations on what I can do. I'm very fit and have loads of stamina.
Today for instance, I did a 1 hour aerobic exercise class at 8:00am and then after having a coffee with my group, I went on a cross country walk with another group. Since coming home at midday, after a supermarket shop, I've done housework and several loads of laundry, which even if the washer actually does them I have to carry downstairs and then hang up to dry and then put away.
I have REFUSED to be ill. I need to keep tight control of my food and that's all.
Hana

caitycakes1

Have to agree with Hanna. I treat my Type 1 as a bloody nuisance. A beast that has been taught it's place. I am never ill and I refuse to let it take over my life. I will also NEVER accept it!!!!!!

Caitycakes x

lionrampant

caitycakes1 said:
Have to agree with Hanna. I treat my Type 1 as a bloody nuisance. A beast that has been taught it's place. I am never ill and I refuse to let it take over my life. I will also NEVER accept it!!!!!!

Caitycakes x

So what you're saying is... There is no spoon? :mrgreen:

Whoa, etc.

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Who needs a spoon when you can have a spork :D

My diabetes is a nuisance. Nothing more.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like the spork idea, Celtic Piskie - but I use a small plastic spoon with a flat handle that can be used to cut eg lumps of cheese or spread cheese from a tube, during mountain marathons, adventure races, backpacking trips etc. I got a few free spoons (and kiwis, but ate them within hours!) from a stall promoting golden kiwifruit at the Notting Hill Carnival about 8 years ago.

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Kiwi's are eeeeevil...

I hate Kiwi's, their texture is just too odd for me. Fruit should not be furry !!

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I suppose spoon theory could be a way to get across to somebody that with a chronic condition you have a load of must-do's on your list before you even start. Personally though I don't feel limited by T1, as much as by the stupid limit of only 24 hours in aday to do everything! T1 is a lighter burden than other conditions so the analogy doesn't get very far, although it would be more appropriate to poorly controlled diabetes. I sometimes tell people that some days (when bs is high, after night hypos, or after multiple tests during the night) I have a hangover without enjoying the drink, and I can't schedule these 'hangovers' for when I haven't got work the next day. Or that if I get a virus it's like I have a hangover on top until deranged bs/ketones are under control.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I am in the camp that "Type 1 is just a bloody nuisance"
I was only diagnosed at the end of April this year but have grabbed this by the scruff of the neck and wrestled it into submission so that my 3 month check I had HbA1c of 5.9 (Party that night!)

What I have experienced is more frustration that the helth service isnt really able to cope with people who go mad on the research and learn all the can. I did it when I was diagnosed with graves disease in 95 and I did it with T1. They say knowledge is power, well no arguments from me. But getting back to what I said about the health service, it seems that if you learn all you can and then start challenging, or at least wanting explanations thay dont half treat you like an idiot. I AM NOT STUPID.. I just have diabetes ***.

So once I was finally let out of hospital in april I promptly got stuck into my reading and learned all about DAFNE, registered and was told there was a MINIMUM of 12 months wait.... you have to be kidding me! So nuts to the system it cant be that hard I went and logged EVERYTHING for a few weeks then sat down for a weekend with several spreadhseets, lots of paper and a pen and worked out what had what effect on my BG.

What made life a little more commplicated is I am on pretty large doses of Thyroixine and it turns out that as a result my insulin requirements are not constant across a 24 hour period... that took me a while to realise.. even longer to convince my DSN.

I think what I leearned in this context is to hell with spoons... raid the cuttlery drawer for anything that might be of use but first learn how to use all the tools you have there.

The MOST IMPORTANT tool is a Mk1 Functional Brain though. Use it, question what you are told and get decisions explained and justified... I would still be going to bed with BG in excess of 15 if I had just listened to the Drs and nurses.

A
T1
HbA1c 19 @diagnosis
HbA1c 5.9 @ 3months