HypoBand - The Cold Sweat Alarm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I live in the very north of Scotland so its pretty cold here. I know my blood sugar was fine and I am a pretty big strong guy. I bought a lot of stuff (20 cans and other stuff). I was carrying it on my back & in bags and sweating. My Hypoband kept going crazy telling me I was hypo but I 100% wasn't. People kept watching me wondering what the alarm was and I kept clicking to stop the alarm on my phone. I was dripping with sweat as I was walking a few miles and walking quickly but it was warm sweat and just cold here. Eventually I had enough and just had to switch it off.

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
@ramsay_urquhart Hi Ramsay, as it states on the box and on our website, the HypoBand is to be used 'for indoor use only'. Therefore, I am not surprised the HypoBand was alerting you as the temperature outside is not stable.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
To some extent, doesn't that dramatically limit its use?

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
@tim2000s Hi Tim, HypoBand was designed for people that suffer from Hypo's with a common symptom being a cold sweat whilst they are asleep. The reason why, at nighttime, is because all other common symptoms can not be detected as you are asleep.

HypoBand would also not be suitable for people that state they do not have a cold sweat as a symptom. However, we have proven that people with long term Hypo's that do not believe they suffer from a cold sweat whilst they are asleep, actually do. We have data to support this finding, but also have to stress their BG levels were critical.

I trust this helps.

Reactions: 2 people

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Thanks, no problem! I'm just trying to give 100% honest feedback

Hi Ramsay, we are very grateful for the replies and feedback, as we continually wish to make improvements on how to use the current technology and enhance the HypoBand which can be worn 24 / 7 and without the need to recharge.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Well done HypoBand UK for at least trialling it with "live" guinea pigs (so to speak) and very much in the open domain.

Much admiration to you and hope you get good feedback.

Great to see you so publicly giving help etc.

An example for other Companies to follow...

Reactions: 4 people

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
@mammamia2006 We are all delighted you have received your HypoBand and great news all setup and working. Looking forward to reading your feedback in the coming weeks.

PS - Your 'princess pink' is on our wish list.

Reactions: 3 people

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
@donnellysdogs Thank you very much for the lovely words. It does mean a lot to us at the HypoBand team.

We are an open-minded team and by committing to this open domain to conduct these trials, we know the result will be a stronger product that can only benefit us all, in understanding the symptoms and people that have hypo unawareness.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@tim2000s Hi Tim, HypoBand was designed for people that suffer from Hypo's with a common symptom being a cold sweat whilst they are asleep. The reason why, at nighttime, is because all other common symptoms can not be detected as you are asleep.

HypoBand would also not be suitable for people that state they do not have a cold sweat as a symptom. However, we have proven that people with long term Hypo's that do not believe they suffer from a cold sweat whilst they are asleep, actually do. We have data to support this finding, but also have to stress their BG levels were critical.

I trust this helps.
Thanks, it does.

Reactions: 3 people

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi All at the Diabetes Forum,

Following the tremendous response both here, by emails and the dozens of calls per day, we thought it would be important to further explain the functions and capabilities of the HypoBand.

HypoBand is for people who experience cold sweat as a symptom of Hypo, and for people with Hypo unawareness.

HypoBand is to be worn indoors, whilst you are asleep, as you are unaware of Hypo symptoms during deep sleep and therefore, unable to treat yourself. During times like these, your caregivers / loved ones will be alerted to come to your aid.

Statistics have shown that the majority of severe Hypos occur in the early hours of the morning, 3 am – 7 am and or before lunchtime (1 pm). Therefore HypoBand has been developed on these main concerns of a Hypo sufferer.

Hypoband is not advisable for use during exercise. Due to the excessive perspiration produced, this could affect the sensors and influence the monitoring accuracy.

We welcome all the feedback, so the HypoBand Team can strive and continually improve the experiences of wearing the HypoBand.

Louise I

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Just checking in. Surprise, surprise my son has not had one night-time hypo since we got the band to trial (I know we haven't missed any because he uses the libre so we can check his night-time graph in the morning). It feels very weird to be half hoping that he'll have a night-time hypo so we can check whether the band works on him!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I did apply for one but it looks like, alas, I wasn't successful

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just checking in, too :)

Nothing excting to report . . . which, for a trial of a safety device, is a good thing.

I now "get" the fact that the HypoBand is specifically geared toward detecting Hypos during sleep. So I use it in this very specific way. I only put it on at night, and take it off immediately in the morning (useful so that you don't forgetfully walk into the shower while wearing it). I then put it onto charge for a while, as I'm going about my morning routine, to keep it charged and ready for the next night.

The flashing LED on the HypoBand 1.0 is VERY bright! . . . I was warned about this, and it has already been addressed on the HypoBand 1.1 . . . but :eek: . . . can see it flashing away even when my arm is under the duvet!

I've prepared some text for a Post to review the HypoBand, but will make changes to this text during the days of the trial, and Post the full review at the end.

Regards :)
Antony

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
@Louise I Good to hear your son not had a Hypo last night. Equally good to hear that the Libre and the HypoBand are working and reporting that no Hypo occurred. I will pm you as it would be interesting to cross reference the data from the Libre and the HypoBand to see if his skin temperature and RH changed.

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
@diamondnostril Good to read all is working well on the HB1.0 and a good routine to charge every morning when waking up. :). Some like @DWilson are using the HypoBand (Activated because of a Hypo) at school / work, as it is indoors and the tempurture is controlled. HypoBand can we worn at home during the day / evening time.

I agree the HB1.0 LED indicator is very bright as compared to the latest HypoBand (HB1.1) which is a lot dimmer. We completed many upgrades from the original HB1.0 to HB1.1 that everyone else is using on the trial. :couchpotato:

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
@Gaz-M Sorry that you were not chosen by diabetes.co.uk. We had a limited number of HypoBand that we could giveaway and share for this open forum trial.