How much alcohol does everyone drink?

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What's the best alcohol vodka and diet mixer? Anyone tested with coors as that seems to be lower carb

For taste I always had Russian Standard but I have no idea how it affects blood sugar, I'd usually mix it with other alcohol or drink it straight :p

Craig Bennett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just been diagnosed type 1 last week, could anyone give me some advice on weekly alcohol amounts please, nurse told me that I am ok with a few beers a week. Many thanks.

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just been diagnosed type 1 last week, could anyone give me some advice on weekly alcohol amounts please, nurse told me that I am ok with a few beers a week. Many thanks.

I can't say how many a week, but I remember they said absolutely no binge drinking.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hardly ever drink and when I do, it's wine. I figure my liver is compromised enough with all the metabolic syndrome/Type 2/fatty liver and pancreas issues that I had at diagnosis, so why make it worse?

Reactions: 2 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I used to drink 2-4 pints of beer 3 or 4 nights a week, with a pub meal, and sometimes most of a bottle of red wine. Since being diagnosed as T2 a month ago I haven't drunk any beer. I bought some of those small 18.7cl bottles of red wine from Morrisons who were doing them on offer for £3 for 2. I have drunk 2 of those the first Saturday night after I was diagnosed and one the second Saturday.
I have found that I am not missing drinking. I feel better in the morning now. I do have some of the 18.7cl bottles, and a few leftover cans and bottles of beer and lager in the cupboard in case I do feel like a drink.
At the moment I think I will only be drinking if I am meeting friends in a pub, which is only a couple of times a year.

rhedgehog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Licorice
I've had to cut down a lot since i was diagnosed. I have to admit i have been a very heavy drinker in the past, which is part of the weight issues i have.

However, now i only drink maybe once or twice a week, and try to keep it to 3 pints or less. Anything more and the side effects of the metformin get really bad.

I don't so much miss the alcohol, but i do miss the social side of it a bit. But as of yet i just can't bring myself to sit in a pub with just a soft drink while everyone else is having a beer.

Reactions: 6 people

oldsurveyor

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Alcohol makes me sick.
Even small amounts.
I used to drink heavily with no side effects. In fact I couldn't get drunk.
But back in '93 I came home one day and poured a stiff drink (8 year old bourbon was my favorite) as was my usual habit at day's end and I sat down to enjoy it.
Took one sip maybe three and became violently ill.
It was as if all the alcohol I'd ever drank was stored somewhere and then suddenly released all at once as if the dam had broken and flooded my bloodstream with deadly levels of alcohol.
Since that day of course I tried again and again to overcome this sudden change and everytime I would be sick as a dog within minutes of consuming alcohol.
I never have understood what happened but it was shortly there after that I began having issues with regulating my blood sugar

anyone else have similar experience?

vicky61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On Sunday I went to a evening wedding party, id had a Sunday lunch, roast chicken breast, (skin taken off) broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, small spoonful of mash potato`s, thin gravy, don't know If this helped me from being able to have a drink with out having horrible effects but I seemed fine. I had 1 half glass of lager, then went onto have dry wine, Chardonny. I had 3 glasses. i couldn't check my BSL has I haven't a monitor yet, (will be picking on upat the weekend), but I was okay really, tired on the Monday but that's a normal feeling for me after a weekend.

oldsurveyor

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow that would have spiked me and then dumped me right on my ass

Needles!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not so much as a reply, more of a question, nobody has mentioned cider, any one good or bad?

cazmae55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there I am new here I drink red wine but Iam different again with that because I drink the red wine watered down slightly. A bottle of red either Caub sav ormerlot lasts me over a week

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This Christmas, for the second year running, I will be drinking Nygarda Julmust. It's a Swedish soft drink that tastes like root beer or dandelion and burdock. The recipe dates back to 1910 which may be why it is only 9g carbs per 100ml and not as fizzy as colas. It's only available over the Christmas period AFAIK.

MyNameIsAlex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since I've been diagnosed with type 1, I stopped drinking beer and I've started to drink wine, especially white wine. (one glass of fine white wine or red wine each day it's enough for me). Also, I love Aperol Spritz, one of my favourite cocktail.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I was only diagnosed on Thursday, haven't touched a drop since and am going to abstain for at least the first month until all my GP and clinic visits have finished.

nickm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
First rule of alcohol is to drink less than your doctor.
There are some good low carb ciders, but taste is compromised if you go very low.
The majority of successful older type 1s I know drink alcohol. In fact I am hard pressed to recall a type 1 over 50 that I would call very successful who doesn't.
Read the stuff on the benefits of alcohol from Sydney Uni before you dismiss it. I will put it on my list of things to blog about.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I drink every night before and with dinner. Major stress reliever. Red wine keeps me stable or up a tad but vodka water drops me a bit. I do have to watch bs with vodka and maybe have a small snack which is ok because I love food. But I am talking a little protein or fat, not carbs. Bad girl I know but keeps me sane

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Ah hem....my bold suggestion of a month was knocked out of the window by the Doc. It's going to be 3 months along side my strict LCHF diet with 36 hours fasting one day a week. Well I'm 3 weeks post diagn now have average BS at around 4.6, been on the diet 2 .5 weeks and not finding it too challenging which is a surprise. So roll on week 12 when the odd glass of Ozzie Black Duck will be passing my lips:)