Big Relief - Thanks All!

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey everyone,
Less than 3 weeks ago I was in a panic having been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, with an HbA1c of 123, lab analysed BG of 22, and BM readings of late teens early 20's. I also had raised liver enzymes, high cholesterol and a slightly raised BP.
I went straight to google and came across this site and these FANTASTIC forums. I'm so glad I did.
Following all the advice I found, it was a much easier transition to a low carb diet.
I went for a check up with my GP today, having had some blood tests on Monday.
My glucose result was 7.8, my liver enzymes, cholesterol and BP results all normal! Obviously its far too soon to repeat the HbA1c just yet, but at least I now feel I have some control over my body and what happens to it.
Having read some of the horror stories about the NHS, I'd like to make a point that not all health professionals are bad.
I received a telephone call from my GP as soon as the blood results were in. He had me straight in seeing a nurse, who gave me a glucose monitor and showed me how to use it. He is prescribing me the strips and the lancets without my having to ask.
When I saw the GP a couple of days later, he advised a low carb diet and recommended the 'Carbs and Cals' book to help me. He has referred me to an Opthalmologist, dietitian, diabetic clinic and newly diagnosed diabetic education course.
He was so pleased with my results today and very encouraging. He did comment that I would "be surprised at how many of his diabetic patients seemed unable to grasp the fact that they needed to make serious reductions to their carbohydrate intake".
So, a couple of thankyou's are in order. Firstly to you folks out there participating in these forums. You have no idea what a comfort you have been - not only in terms of practical information, but also for being there and showing me I'm not alone in this.
Secondly, I'd like to thank all those doctors and nurses out there who ARE doing a great job, listening to the latest research and treating your patients with care and compassion.
Three massive great cheers for you all!
Lins x

Reactions: 11 people

fred1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Great news. Well done . Great forums with experienced people who have the knowledge and are so willing to share. It's certainly a great site. You will be looking forqArd to your next round of tests cos the rate your going you will go into remission . Great news

Reactions: 5 people

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheers Fred :)
Yes the site is brilliant. I can't praise it enough. I've had great health care as I said. But there's only so much a GP can do for you. I have to help myself too. And I know without a doubt I wouldn't be doing as well without this resource.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news! I'm sure your next HbA1c will be right down at this rate. What a gem of a doctor you have - stick to him like glue!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is wonderful!

Now, don't move house. Ever. Because it may never be this good again. ;)

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks both :)
No plans to move house in the near future haha! But I tell you what - if I did need to change docs for any reason - thanks to this site I would go in there prepared to get my way!
Sings to Brunneria "I don't think you're ready for this jelly"
Hugs all xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well done @LinsT, don't forget to give yourself a pat on the back for all your hard work and determination :)

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Well done! That's a rather quick turnaround!

I agree there are some HCPs who are good at diabetes and other care. My own GP is brilliant. Slowly the message about carbs will permeate through the HCPs.