Behavioural changes

Haziemc

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there. My 4 year old son was diagnosed T1 last year. Lately his behaviour has been awful....not all the time, but more than normal. It does seem to coincide with erratic BG readings. He can become aggressive and very tearful

I hate seeing him like this as hes normally a happy, good little boy

Has anyone else seem this happen to their child?

Many thanks

DublinMom

Hi Haziemc, I'm new here just joined & your post caught my attention. My son is 4 years diagnosed and one of his first symptoms for me was his bad behaviour. Now we can tell when his bloods are high by his behaviour he gets angry and quite annoyed with just about everything & everyone around him. Overall he's a great kid it just seems to be his highs. I have spoken to adults with type 1 & they describe to me how it feels. Do you notice the change in his blood sugars with his behaviour? We found it great to explain to our little man that when he starts to feel like this to tell us and we will check his sugars.....he knows this is now what high sugars make him feel like and he will drink water and take extra insulin to get the down. Hope this helps
It's so tough but keep up the good work

Reactions: 2 people

Haziemc

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Haziemc, I'm new here just joined & your post caught my attention. My son is 4 years diagnosed and one of his first symptoms for me was his bad behaviour. Now we can tell when his bloods are high by his behaviour he gets angry and quite annoyed with just about everything & everyone around him. Overall he's a great kid it just seems to be his highs. I have spoken to adults with type 1 & they describe to me how it feels. Do you notice the change in his blood sugars with his behaviour? We found it great to explain to our little man that when he starts to feel like this to tell us and we will check his sugars.....he knows this is now what high sugars make him feel like and he will drink water and take extra insulin to get the down. Hope this helps
emoji106.png

emoji106.png
emoji106.png

emoji106.png
Hi there DublinMom

Thanks for replying. Its nice to know im not alone, and that readings certainly seem to affect mood.
It is usually the high readings thay set my son off. Sometimes low readings too, but mostly high ones
I can usually tell when he is high of low just by his mood, then i test his bloods and take appropriate action

Its hard going at times, but we get there in the end

Much love x

Reactions: 2 people

Rocky Racoon

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

My son was diagnosed 4 weeks ago, just 2 weeks before his 7th birthday.
The hardest thing about it all is his behaviour. He's normally a sweet caring boy so it's quite a shock when his behaviour changes all of a sudden.
Similar to yourself, I find when his levels are moving fast - up or down - he then acts in this way.
It's not every time though, sometimes he acts perfectly fine when the levels move rapidly. I think another factor is also in play, I'm not yet sure what but I think it might be tiredness.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hello,

My son was diagnosed 4 weeks ago, just 2 weeks before his 7th birthday.
The hardest thing about it all is his behaviour. He's normally a sweet caring boy so it's quite a shock when his behaviour changes all of a sudden.
Similar to yourself, I find when his levels are moving fast - up or down - he then acts in this way.
It's not every time though, sometimes he acts perfectly fine when the levels move rapidly. I think another factor is also in play, I'm not yet sure what but I think it might be tiredness.
Tiredness can of course be a symptom of high BGs, but it might also be a sign of poor quality sleep. What are his sleep patterns like, and is he restless in bed? Does he snore?