Freelee Banana Girl HCLF

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all

My brother is a vegan athlete, 80-90% of his massively high carb diet comes from fruit. We're talking 300g carbs + each meal.

I've always wondered if a t1 diabetic could manage this kind of diet. It boggles my mind.

I found this video of freelee (with some misinformation I must add) but the 2nd half of the video is a type 1 high fruiter. (I'd love to see him using a CGM!)

What do you reckon of high carb low fat??? I don't think I'll be trying it, it's a lot of insulin to be taking? Or does that matter?

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all

My brother is a vegan athlete, 80-90% of his massively high carb diet comes from fruit. We're talking 300g carbs + each meal.

I've always wondered if a t1 diabetic could manage this kind of diet. It boggles my mind.

I found this video of freelee (with some misinformation I must add) but the 2nd half of the video is a type 1 high fruiter. (I'd love to see him using a CGM!)

What do you reckon of high carb low fat??? I don't think I'll be trying it, it's a lot of insulin to be taking? Or does that matter?
If I ever eat a LOT of carbs and bolus for it, they usually get liver-dumped back when I least expect it :(

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it very hard to believe the advice of anyone dumb enough (Freelee) to be Durian Rider's girlfriend - the guy is certifiable :p

Reactions: 6 people

zjed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lazy Doctors and Endos
Best part of that video was the echidna, big ******.

"When compared with rises in glucose levels, beef raised insulin levels 27 times higher than brown rice did!"
What does that even mean? it doesn't make sense!
Are they saying that if you raise your bgl by 1 mmol from eating beef you produce 27 times more insulin than you do when raising you bgl 1 mmol from eating rice? is that even relevant?
I my body, beef and rice raise insulin levels by the same amount, 0.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Didn't watch it; have seen her and her boyfriend before. (find them just as obnoxious as some from the 'opposite' dietary persuasion)
The insulin index of beef is a bit less than that of brown rice but of course it is 'dense' so if you produce insulin then you can probably eat what appears more food for less insulin being produced (27 x seems very over the top). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_index
There are type ones (and twos) that eat a high fruit, vegan diet
And here is one with a CGM (not flat but doesn't go that high either) She mentions very low insulin doses and muses about getting off insulin(though I think that she realises that isn't a reality)

There's also a T1 guy who calls himself 'mangoman' who also eats a vegan high fruit diet . http://www.mangomannutrition.com/blog/
But I certainly couldn't eat 300 carbs each meal like your brother; that's 1200 calories and according to my vivofit (on a lazy day) I've only used 1500 calories in total today. I suspect though if someone eats a totally raw,unprocessed diet then they have to eat a lot of food to get the calories in . I think that it could be different if the same fruit was put in a food processor before eating.
I also noticed that the girl on the video mentioned she has needed to add essential fatty acids (we aren't frugivores anymore than we are carnivores)

Last edited by a moderator:

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't watch it; have seen her and her boyfriend before. (find them just as obnoxious as some from the 'opposite' dietary persuasion)
The insulin index of beef is a bit less than that of brown rice but of course it is 'dense' so if you produce insulin then you can probably eat what appears more food for less insulin being produced (27 x seems very over the top). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_index
There are type ones (and twos) that eat a high fruit, vegan diet
And here is one with a CGM (not flat but doesn't go that high either) She mentions very low insulin doses and muses about getting off insulin(though I think that she realises that isn't a reality)

There's also a T1 guy who calls himself 'mangoman' who also eats a vegan high fruit diet . http://www.mangomannutrition.com/blog/
But I certainly couldn't eat 300 carbs each meal like your brother; that's 1200 calories and according to my vivofit (on a lazy day) I've only used 1500 calories in total today. I suspect though if someone eats a totally raw,unprocessed diet then they have to eat a lot of food to get the calories in . I think that it could be different if the same fruit was put in a food processor before eating.
I also noticed that the girl on the video mentioned she has needed to add essential fatty acids (we aren't frugivores anymore than we are carnivores)
Thanks for the links! Will definitely look at them now :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think we've gone around this one a couple of times. It seems that both LCHF and HCLF have one very important trait in common. When being done properly they involve eating foods made from whole, unprocessed ingredients. Then you have the Bernstein approach which is really LCHP.

I've posited before that in reality, I suspect that the best diet option is one which is composed of real, whole, unprocessed ingredients and that whether it is LCHF, HCLF, LCHP or any other four letter acronym is probably an aside as long as one is not eating too much of any of them....!

Reactions: 10 people

hollyslot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i know if i ever tried Freelee's diet my bg levels would spike way too much. i try to be vegan most of the time but i make sure i eat fat and protein so my bg levels don't spike so much.

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That doctor seemed to have no idea what he was talking about beef raises insulin levels twenty-seven times more than rice, *** that doesn't make sense.

Reactions: 4 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all

Last time I ate 300g carbs in a day, not one meal, was last Saturday where I ate 380g. But that was while I ran 63km in just under 7 hours.

I used to be an absolute carb monster, buying pasta by the 5kg bag, eating a third of a loaf at a single sitting, but started researching and training for endurance using the fat metabolism, went low GI and massively reduced my carbs almost overnight. Typical now is approx 100g carbs per day, under 4 units basal and 3-4 units bolus per day.

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
going off on a slight tangent...google denise minger's talk @ AHS14 on youtube
she kept an open mind & looked at the vegetarian biased (not a typo) literature & found some interesting points..
i would never dare venture into those levels of carbs ever again.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: 5 people