Should I address my caffeine addiction?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I LOVE coffee, and I mean LOVE it. I admit that I must be addicted/dependent on it because I get upset if I can't have it, and I get headaches without it.

I enjoy the taste and the perked up feeling it gives me. I have fibromyalgia and it's the only drug I can take that relieves the fatigue/drowsiness, even if only for 30 mins or so. It's a nice break from how I feel the rest of the time.

I really don't want to give it up, but if it's causing health problems I will consider it.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My problem is Diet Coke and Tea can't go a day without get headaches and fall asleep for two hours during the day if I don't. Is it causing any particular problems? Obviously it's best to stick to the recommended amount which is about four cups of coffee. I wonder if you could try other hot drinks, I like hot Vimto not sure if you have that in NZ it's a fruit-flavoured cordial I have the sugar free of course.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I LOVE coffee, and I mean LOVE it. I admit that I must be addicted/dependent on it because I get upset if I can't have it, and I get headaches without it.
Typically Kiwi approach to coffee that one ;)

On a more serious note, if you are getting upset when you can't have it and headaches without it, you are bordering on a dependency. I'm assuming you drink rather a lot throughout the day? You might want to consider cutting back a little. You don't have to deny yourself completely, but maybe only one or two cups a day?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Typically Kiwi approach to coffee that one ;)

On a more serious note, if you are getting upset when you can't have it and headaches without it, you are bordering on a dependency. I'm assuming you drink rather a lot throughout the day? You might want to consider cutting back a little. You don't have to deny yourself completely, but maybe only one or two cups a day?
Lol, yes I guess we Kiwis are a bit obsessed with our coffee.

I do drink a lot of coffee - about 6 cups a day. In the mid-afternoon I switch to decaf and have 2 or 3 more, lol.

I think you are right, cutting back would help. I'll see if I can cope with 2 cups... reluctantly. ;)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If the coffee perks you up and isn't causing any other health issues then why change @CatLadyNZ?

I give up on caffeinated drinks a few years ago after suffering from a overactive bladder, so now only drink decaff coffee & tea (although the green tea I drink does contain some caffeine) and found it improved matters considerably, but given the choice I'd rather not drink decaff because you don't get that caffeine kick, but taste wise there's no difference IMHO.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always had a policy of giving things up only when I have to. This means that I get enjoyment from whatever addiction applies for as long as I can. I suppose it's the primary care argument again. Why give up something in the fear that something bad will happen if you don't. It may never happen.

I took pots of pills for three years in the fear that my feet were going to fall off. I just got back from a three mile walk and I don't take pills anymore.

Drink the coffee. When you get a chronic illness from it then stop drinking the coffee.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only way you will ever know whether life is better without it, is to test the theory.

If you feel you are addicted (Mr B was too), then you have a choice. 5 days of cold turkey hell, with headaches, temper tantrums (we have a dent in the kitchen wall from the Mug Throwing Incident) and discomfort. Or a longer, less traumatic weaning off the coffee.

I would go for the latter. Switch to decaff, gradually, then reduce those. You might dodge the headache completely that way.

Good luck.

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was thinking much the same as Brunneria. If you already have a decaf you like, you could swap to decaf one cup earlier over a period. I have no idea what the step times might be, but if you do that an suffer withdrawal, at least you are managing it. And if you enjoy the decaf variant you already drink, you shouldn't feel cheated, as you might if you had to find a sub.

Fingers crossed for you (and those around you !).

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love coffee, absolutely love it. I have a Nespresso machine and up until I was diagnosed nearly 5 weeks ago, I drank nothing but coffee. When I started the LCHF diet. I said to myself "I'm going to have mint tea and camomile tea during the day with very diluted sugar free squash, and have coffee first thing in the morning and a decaf coffee before I go to bed. I have managed to stick to it so far.

Try mixing hot drinks, include cocoa with a bit of cream and different teas, that might help you cut down ;)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm also attached to the buzz, experienced at its best at breakfast but repeated several times a day. We both drink decaff after 7pm but I'm not keen so it's the caffeine I'm after. I overdosed once last spring on two big cups of very strong cafe coffee and had a panic attack. Would that be the adrenalin? Anyway, not to be repeated thank you.
I'm with @Squire Fulwood and give up only when I have to. Smoking was the same, 35 years ago. And alcohol. Not much left to give up now ...

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm also attached to the buzz, experienced at its best at breakfast but repeated several times a day. We both drink decaff after 7pm but I'm not keen so it's the caffeine I'm after. I overdosed once last spring on two big cups of very strong cafe coffee and had a panic attack. Would that be the adrenalin? Anyway, not to be repeated thank you.
I'm with @Squire Fulwood and give up only when I have to. Smoking was the same, 35 years ago. And alcohol. Not much left to give up now ...

Similar to me, gave up both alcohol and smoking since being diagnosed caffeine is the one that's still hanging in there :p

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I enjoy the taste and the perked up feeling it gives me. I have fibromyalgia and it's the only drug I can take that relieves the fatigue/drowsiness, even if only for 30 mins or so. It's a nice break from how I feel the rest of the time.

I really don't want to give it up, but if it's causing health problems I will consider it.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
It's good for you. Don't even try to give it up! And it's lovely stuff.

I only limit my consumption of tea and coffee to "not after 5 pm" or I can't sleep.

Reactions: 6 people