Healthy Snacks in toddler groups

Libbaloo

I've been running a church toddler group for past 14 years and traditionally, we've offered biscuits (plain/chocolate/ fig/fruit/ shortbread/ rich tea etc etc to parents, carers and children as part of the refreshments during the session. Regardless of diabetes considerations, what would be the healthiest snack to offer (given we offer water to drink or optional fruit squash - latter not ideal of course). Some groups prepare fruit pots and roce cakes, but with my new thoughts on sugar and carbs, I would love to hear from you regarding sensible tips.

We also have to think of food allergies

angelgabriel

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Darkness. unkindness. criticism. Walking ,running, sport of any kind. slimy foods with lots of sauce like pasta... especially lasagne.
We offer grapes, slices of cucumber, fine slices of melon, raisins, celery sticks, carrot batons, pieces of cheese, milk, diluted fruit juice, we give a choice of one savoury, one fruit and biscuits each week.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Marykly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
The juice as long as its sugar free its great,
Carrots sticks
Cucumbers ,apples, and fruit....
Even rich tea bis
The parents can read the carbs off the package
The children need to feel the same as others not to b left out...
Hope it helps.

Emmadixon

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My toddler loves the usual carrot sticks fruit etc which most aren't counted carbs unless u have masses off them, water biscuits/crackers are low carb nairns do low carb low gi bags of little crackers that could be put in a bowl and the kiddies could help themselves you would be suprised at what carbs Tods can have that arnt countable, as said previously though they can have just the same as any other child just in moderation lol for treats i know asda do little cupcakes that are only 10carbs each :)