Fats

Thirsty

Which are the goodies, which are the baddies, how do they affect the body?

I really don't know but, I'd appreciate as much informed comment as possible from those who do.

Please keep the discussion as calm and polite as you can, however strongly you may feel about this issue: we're supposed to be here to help people.

Thank you.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I've made this 'sticky' it could be a really informative thread....but if it degenerates It will be unstuck and allowed to slide ,which will be a shame.

Trinkwasser

Curiously I asked someone elsewhere to repeat a post he's made before on this very subject, when he gets the necessary circular tuit I'll repost it here

Meanwhile avoid trans fats like the plague, also the things they are trying to replace them with.

Make sure you eat plenty of Omega 3 fats to rebalance the usual dietary excess of Omega 6s

more follows . . .

EricD

Dislikes
Bullies and sockpuppets. Not being able to eat I want.
Anyone seen the "Medicine men go wild" series last year?

Twin Doctor brothers, one eating nothing but fish meat and fermentet fish fat and the other carbs and fatty food. One brothers' colesterol levels went up while the others went down. In the whole village only one other person had colesterol levels higher than all the other villagers. They found out later that he "cheated" by eating fatty foods. if I remeber rightly he mainly ate tinned meats and foods, can't remember if he also ate carbs though.

Here's alink to one chapter of the series.

http://www.channel4.com/video/medicine- ... o_p_1.html

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Thirsty
My diets high in sat fats but trigs 0.65 thats actually better than when I was on statins 0.79.

Regards Graham

samcogle

I am curious about fats too as I am trying to lose weight so try to avoid the bad fats but I love full fat mayo on my salad and was told not to eat the low fat version as it tends to be higher in sugar. Is this right and is a teaspoon of mayo on my salad ok?

Trinkwasser

Low fat anything is usually bad as they replace the fats with sugar and starch. Keep the carbs down which will keep your insulin level down and you may well find you convert saturated fats into HDL rather than LDL.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have hunted everywhere and there's no evidence that I can find that any natural fats are harmful. that includes saturated fats and unsaturated ones. Trans fats, which are not natural aren't good, neither are hydrogenated afts and I would keep well away from margarines ( or "spreads" as we now call them.) Anyway, butter tastes better.

samcogle

YAY I can eat mayo then :)
Ironically it was my concern about sweetners that made me start using sugar again, but the thought that I can eat lurpack and not rank marg with weird ingredients in it has put a smile on my face!
Cheers x

Grumpy

graham64 said:
Hi Thirsty
My diets high in sat fats but trigs 0.65 thats actually better than when I was on statins 0.79.

Regards Graham

As a newbie, I'm not entirely sure whether that was English or not...! So butter is better, yes? That's a relief; I hate that axle grease stuff masquerading as butter...

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.
Hana. you're my hero. I hate margarine (ever since the war years) and love butter. Together we'll conquer the world. :lol:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Bill
I think someone once did a study on so-called Healthy spreads and butter and rates of heart disease. It turned out butter is more healthful

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
ooooooh that sounds nice..... crusty wholemeal would be delish !!!!! OOps did I really say that ? hush my mouth . :roll:

ronjo94

Having read the various comments Re "fats" I thought that I'd add my twopennyworth.
Like a good boy when diagnosed with type 2 I looked to reducing my fat intake among other things. I had always used Lurpak butter in preference to any other make (I do not work for and am not connected to Lurpak in any way)and knew that they also had a low fat spread version and a "lighter "version of their butter. I tried the "lighter version as was amazed at the wonderful flavour of this "spead". If i had know of it's taste prior to this I would have changed from real full fat butter. Lurpak reduce the fat content by adding vegatable oils. Not only does it make for an easy soft spead from the 'fridge product but, as i have said it has a wonderful flavour. Not necessarily to everyone's taste, but I love it.

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.
I had a wholemeal bread sandwich of ham and Branston pickle, finished off with a crust from the loaf with butter. Just taken my BGs and it came out at 5.2. :D

Edwardia

As an ex chef,I won't cook with vegetable oils and plasticky tasting margarines, only unsalted French butter and Extra Virgin olive oil for me :D Just really wary of chemicals and any product which needs to be artificially vitaminised can't be too healthy to start with

GINNYFLY

samcogle said:
Just wish i could have a big doorstop of crusty bread to put the butter on now :D
My dietician recommended a high carb/low fat diet with plenty of vegetables (especially raw ones) so I eat lots of bread - potatoes and rice with tons of salads and steamed veg(with a little butter :oops: )

I am losing weight (2-4 lbs a month and maintain an average BS OF 6.5 - I am a type 2 diabetic.
Hope this helps
Gill (ginnyfly)

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
GINNYFLY said:
.......so I eat lots of bread - potatoes and rice .......

:shock: :shock:

That just goes to show how different we all are! If I have any of those starchy carbs at all then my BG levels soar theough the roof. :(