Diabetics' Heart Attack Risk Can Be Reduced, Research Finds

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
We're not interested in that, Graham, we just want to talk about the poor baby mice some more. :twisted:

Attachments

• The love of money is a root of all sorts of injurious things.jpg
    The love of money is a root of all sorts of injurious things.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 451

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Timo you crack me up mate good stuff :lol:

On a more sombre note I've heard the Three Blind Mice were really lab mice subjected to a DUK research study on the effects of their recommended starchy carb low fat diet. This led to blindness, and having their appendages surgically removed, because of diabetic complications.

Poor baby mice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2ISFuM7 ... re=related

Don't watch this one if your squeamish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLiyWaRvO-k&NR=1

Cheers
Graham

Back later phoenix :wink:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm sure you are right Graham
I know mice are cheap, but what benefit do we get from the sacrifice of those tiny creatures' lives?
I love mice, They make great little pets and have the softest silkiest fur

graham64

Dislikes
Hi Phoenix,
If you look at the posts in three different threads covering the same topic, you will find about 85 replies to a 12 week study on mice. Only Hana's thread Poor Baby Mice has so far got no response even though she makes a very valid point.

The thread concerning real diabetics in a long term study got only 13 replies, which begs the question was the original mice thread started in the non LC forum rather than the the Discussions forum just to provoke the Low Carbers rather than promote serious debate.

You seem to consider a 12 week study on mice to be valid, and yet dismiss out of hand the many short term 6 to 12 month LC studies as obscure (your words) and therefore irrelevant, even though time after time they come up with the same conclusion re the health benefits of following a LC diet.

If you look at the many thousands of people treated by Bernstein, Clarke, Lutz etc. if the mice studies conclusions were correct, surely then their patients would be dropping like flies. If this was the case then without doubt the promoters of the “Healthy” low fat and starchy carb diets would be shouting from the rooftops, the silence is deafening.

Graham xx

Handyníall

Dislikes
Anything that'll wake us up before noon on a weekend...
hanadr said:
I'm sure you are right Graham
I know mice are cheap, but what benefit do we get from the sacrifice of those tiny creatures' lives?
I love mice, They make great little pets and have the softest silkiest fur

Since most of the 21st century advances (stem cells, cloning, new antibiotics and of course lipstick testing) were originally tested on mice, they are of great importance to the scientific community (and they help us live longer due to chemotherapy drugs being tested on mice etc.).

However, I personally believe that low-carbing does have serious health risks if you are a mouse. Or perhaps a rat.

I doubt the validity of Bernstein's evidence (since he was pretty evangelical about it before he produced evidence), but for me, low-carbing is a good thing.

lionrampant

People with diabetes who maintain intensive, low blood sugar levels are significantly less likely to suffer heart attacks and coronary heart disease, new research published in The Lancet has shown.

Well that was money well spent...

Handyníall

Dislikes
Anything that'll wake us up before noon on a weekend...
Ha, there was an article a few years ago that went along the lines of. People who suffer trauma to the head are more likely to have head injuries than those that don't.

I remember reading that when I was trying to write a nice reference for why I want to be a doctor and going :shock: is it really that easy?

lionrampant

Handyníall said:
Ha, there was an article a few years ago that went along the lines of. People who suffer trauma to the head are more likely to have head injuries than those that don't.

I remember reading that when I was trying to write a nice reference for why I want to be a doctor and going :shock: is it really that easy?

"I want to be a doctor because the pay is fantastic and I enjoy stating the obvious."

It would have gotten you noticed. :wink:

graham64

Dislikes
lionrampant said:
People with diabetes who maintain intensive, low blood sugar levels are significantly less likely to suffer heart attacks and coronary heart disease, new research published in The Lancet has shown.

Well that was money well spent...

Of course it states the obvious, but it seems that many of our HPs are unaware of this and with pressure from the PCTs, are denying T2s the option of testing. A study such as this only reinforces the need to test to get optimal BG levels.

Graham