Sugar vs fat documentary

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi . That is OK by me . I'm not saying that you can't . I'm saying in the long run I mean after years . It is not the best way to go forward
Clive
That's fine Clive. I like to keep my diet as varied as possible too. :) I eat from most food groups, meat, fish eggs, dairy, nuts, plenty of vegetables and a some fruit and berries too. However most of my vegies are low carb varieties and I'm somewhat limiting my fruit intake, so most days staying under about 60 grams carbs. So far no problems. :)

I notice that you seem keen on whole grains. Don't be misled into believing that these are an "essential" part of your diet though, because they aren't. Given that you are on insulin producing medication (Glicazide) then you may well find that you could benefit from reducing your carbs even further.

Also remember that LCHF is a diet to compensate for a metabolic problem with carbohydrates, so it isn't necessarily for everyone. How far any individual might need to go with LCHF depends very much on just how serious is their metabolic problem (T2 diabetes). For some people "low carb" is under 100g per day, for others it is under 20g, it's all about what works for you.

Personally my diabetes has eased considerably after 8 months of LCHF, and I can now reintroduced a few more carbs than I initially could tolerate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi . So I guess it has been working for you . Iv done the Same as you started on very low carb and have slowly increased them

I'd like to say just one more thing about a fat and meat diet . Years ago when we eat let's say beef . The cattle.would Rome the fields and graze on grasses . So when you eat the beef you where also getting the minerals from the cows diet . The problem now is that the castle are feed mostly corn so now when we eat beef the nutrients are not there anymore . And also the cattle are becoming sick . And im
not a vegetarian just thought I'd pop that one in

Clive

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was a bit caught out today over food.

I was out at a fete type thing, out in the country.
What I didn't know, was the only food on offer all day would be noodles. But I'm not ketogenic, so a (goodly) sized portion of noodles, with vegetables, (no meat by choice) and a walk around for the day, put me at 4.7, 4 hours later, (tested when I got home). So I can be relaxed over my diet, enjoy my day out, and so long as I stay active, still have good results.

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi . Mine is 7.2 at the moment . I think it was the diabetic chocolate cake I made . I'm normally about 6 so a little bit up
Clive

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes. But my average is about 6 . I made the cake with whole grain flour but as iv found out it dose send my levels up . If I go under 5 my hands start to shake . Iv been told that as my levels where so high my body will take time to adjust . When I was told I had type-2 my levels where 26 . I felt really ill I went to my doctor because my arms where aching I was shocked. When he told me I was diabetic
Clive

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was a bit caught out today over food.

I was out at a fete type thing, out in the country.
What I didn't know, was the only food on offer all day would be noodles. But I'm not ketogenic, so a (goodly) sized portion of noodles, with vegetables, (no meat by choice) and a walk around for the day, put me at 4.7, 4 hours later, (tested when I got home). So I can be relaxed over my diet, enjoy my day out, and so long as I stay active, still have good results.

Whilst 4.7 is a decent enough number, I'm not sure evaluating your meal on the basis of that number, some 4 hours later, without anything earlier is a very robust basis for judgement.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whilst 4.7 is a decent enough number, I'm not sure evaluating your meal on the basis of that number, some 4 hours later, without anything earlier is a very robust basis for judgement.

That's exactly my point.
Not every judgement over your diet needs to be robust.
You shouldn't stress out, sometimes you need to step back from food, and enjoy your life.
(And a Thai themed fete probably has Thai themed food, on reflection)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
That reminds me off a story about, if I remember correctly, world war two commandoes dropped in either Russia, or Finland. Initially they kept alive, just on lichen off the rocks, but soon managed to kill some deer. The meat was obviously good, but the real part of the food they wanted was the animals stomachs, and contents, for the vegetable matter to supplement their diet.
They probably thought they needed plant material to be healthy, but they were wrong.

Reactions: 2 people

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Indeed, many on here notice an upwards drift in BG on LCHF, so it's not surprising .
Could someone here please post a couple of examples of people who's BGLs have risen under an LCHF diet. I can't claim to have read every thread in the LCHF forums, but so far I've not seen even one cases of this. Personally my BG levels have reduced, and more importantly become far more stable, under LCHF.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Don't know, they seemed not to have died from it from not avoiding it.
Most people don't die from eating plants, but that doesn't mean they would die from not eating plants. We are indoctrinated into believing we need to eat fruits and vegetables, but that is not true.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just think of it like this...

The human race has evolved over thousands upon thousands upon thousands of years.

Sugar related disease is completely new (in the grand scheme of things).

If sugar had been as available then as it is now - do you think we'd still be here?

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most people don't die from eating plants, but that doesn't mean they would die from not eating plants. We are indoctrinated into believing we need to eat fruits and vegetables, but that is not true.

Can't comment on that, but it would be true to say some are completely indoctrinated into believing we need meat, but some of us would be able to manage without, once you beat the mindset.
So long as you're happy, does it matter what you believe?

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can't comment on that, but it would be true to say some are completely indoctrinated into believing we need meat, but some of us would be able to manage without, once you beat the mindset.

Hi . Iv a brother .and his wife are vegan . She got pregnant and the baby in the foetuses was in distress so she ended up with a tube going in her nose to feed her nutrients she had the tube in for about 3 months . And her and baby where ok . So I think that is a case that if you are coming to have a baby you need to have both in your dies for a healthy baby ps brother and his wife have been vegan for more than 20 years . They have always seamed ok but I guess to reproduce you need all of the nutrients

Clive

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
To be clear, I don't claim that humans can't live, even thrive, on plant derived food only. Although there is evidence that a proportion of vegans and vegetarians become B12 deficient, that's easily remedied with B12 supplementation without eating any meat.

On the other hand (to address your point), there does not appear to be government, health industry, or other organizations disseminating propaganda that meat is required in people's diet, like is happening for fruit, vegetables, and grains (and fiber). To me it appears to be the opposite. Surely you have heard or read that meat [supposedly] causes cancer, cardiovascular disease and other health problems in people? I'd be surprised if there were many people today that believe humans absolutely need meat to survive, since such people would have never heard of vegetarians or vegans. Maybe some Inuit would fall into the category of never having heard of vegetarians/vegans, but likely not because they were purposely indoctrinated to believe it.

I think it's important to discuss these things in a factual way, regardless of our happiness or lack thereof. After all, many of us believed in (i.e. were happy with) the official government dietary advice of low fat, high carb without seriously questioning it until our health started failing.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree entirely, I'm sure Inuits are unlikely to grow enough vegetables to survive on as a race.
But the species seems to be adaptable to the conditions it finds itself in, fortunately.
Then again, a rapid transplant of an equatorial dweller to the Inuit habitation may not be immediately successful, so possibly the species also has a margin for diversification throughout the millennia.