Scared - New and don't know what's happening. Type 2

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening folks,

So I got diagnosed yesterday with type 2, have had a massive sweet addiction, and overweight, so I guess I've no one to blame but myself. Lost my mum 9 months ago, and hubby is out of country at moment, so feeling totally alone, and feel like I've been handed a death sentance at 35. Don't know whT I'm supposed to be doing, don't see the diabetes nurse until next week. So angry and upset with myself. Any help would be truly appreciated right now xxx

Hi and welcome. Don't be scared although I know it's one of the first reactions most people have. I've been pre-diabetic for a while and probably longer than when I was first diagnosed as pre-diabetic. I'm just awaiting my "official" diagnosis as a Type 2 (I had a fasting blood test just over 2 weeks ago and will get the results of the 2nd on Monday).

You've been through a lot with the loss of your Mum and from what I've read, stress doesn't help blood sugar levels. I'm overweight too and need to lose quite a bit of weight so I've turned that into a positive. It's now a major incentive to lose it and feel better in my clothes and buy some more smaller, newer ones as I drop a size :)

This site is FANTASTIC and I've been using it on and off for a few years. Take your time browsing all the threads and posts that appeal and interest you. Everyone is very supportive and encouraging and there's so much good, sensible advice on here - it will keep you motivated and more importantly you won't feel "alone" in this.

I've cut carbs drastically (hard to do as I love white bread, pasta and rice) and I'm avoiding products and sugary food. I never thought I'd enjoy Greek Yoghurt but I do and it has a "natural" sweetness. Your taste buds will gradually adapt. You'll see quite a bit on "LCHF" as a lot low carb on here.

I also have a few GI Diet books by Rick Gallop - you can pick them up on Ebay fairly cheaply. They use a traffic light system for foods which makes it easier to know what you should and shouldn't eat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=GI+diet+rick+gallop&_sop=15

Reactions: 2 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot of people here reduce the carbs and increase the fat in their diet and some do it very drastically but you have to find the level that suits you personally unfortunately there is no one diet or one level of carbs to suit all. If you do decide to reduce your carb intake do it slowly to begin with until your body gets used to going without stuff it has had for years . When you see the nurse don't be surprised if she does not tell you to reduce the carbs as that is not actually the official advice given to diabetics by doctors and nurses so some do not approve of it but it is your body so do what you think is best for you

Reactions: 4 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi and welcome @Emmasethy! I have a sweet tooth too. I didn't have the time to eat all those choc bars, biscuits and cake when I was working and I used to walk 3 miles to work every day which kept my weight down. I retired two years ago, and since then I have hardly exercised. And having time on my hands started eating sweet things during the day. I put on about a stone in those two years, though I usually lose a few pounds in the winter when I give up alcohol in the New Year, or fast over Lent.

I never thought I would get diabetes though I am in most of the high risk groups, so it was a shock when I was diagnosed last month. Coming on here has helped me to accept it and to realise it's not the end of my life. Read through some of the threads and you will realise you are not alone, and the 'success' threads will give you hope.

You do need to get your diagnosis figures to know where you are starting from. You could ask the practice nurse when you see her. I would suggest you also ask for a referral to a diabetes management course. I went on the DESMOND course (Diabetes Education and Self-Management for On-going and Newly Diagnosed). There are differing opinions on here about these courses, but as a newbie I found it useful and reassuring.

You are going to have to change your eating habits. I found it difficult to give up the sweet stuff. But I am getting used to it now and don't miss it so much. I will still have the occasional couple of biscuits or mince pie (my previous addiction). But before I would eat half the packet of biscuits or two or three mince pies every day. I have cut out sugar in my tea and coffee and use sweetener substitutes (Truvia or Sweet 'N Low) instead. I have given up beer, and might just have a glass or two of red wine on a Saturday night. I have also started walking at least 1 hour most days. I have lost about 4lbs in the last four weeks, and I am confident I will be below the diabetes range at my 3 month test in November.

So don't worry too much. You are going to have to make adjustments, but this condition can be managed, its not the end of the world.

Reactions: 6 people

LJRC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
tea, miserable people, swallowing large pills :)
You have all been so kind xx so thank you for your support x those with a sweet tooth, how have you coped?

Personally I found it harder to cut out the sweet things than giving up smoking since being diagnosed. That said, I have a treat, one square of very dark 90% chocolate (Lindt) at bedtime. I was surprised to be told some years back that I was glucose intolerant, thought I was controlling it OK with diet. Last year, tsk tsk, Type 2. I just potter along, do my best, treat sugar as a poison, carbs carefully, fats and fibre as essential. You can do no more than your best. Hugs :)

Reactions: 5 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Thanks for the replies xx I guess I've been googling like mad, and just see the negatives like losing limbs and heart disease etc xx and not being able to see the nurse until next week is playing on my mind, as now I don't know what to eat, what not to etc. some sites say you can still eat everything you want to but in moderation and others are saying to follow a low Gi approach x head is spinning from all the conflicting information xx

Hi Emma,
Just to encourage you - I've had type 2 diabetes for almost 10 yrs and live a full and active life with NO diabetic complications. Recently I've had all my medication reduced to minimum dosage because I've followed advice from posters on this forum and got my blood glucose levels down to normal non-diabetic levels. My goal is to be meds free and control my type 2 with diet & exercise only. Many people here have done just that. You'll find all the help & encouragement you need on this forum. You are very welcome here x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Emma, my names Kerry and like yourself have just been diagnosed with type 2. I am a bit all over the place too and trying to get my head around what to eat, meds and taking blood sugars. Its all a bit overwhelming at the minute but this forum seems to have lots of support and information, so hoping we will be able to manage ourselves better.

Emmasethy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Emma, my names Kerry and like yourself have just been diagnosed with type 2. I am a bit all over the place too and trying to get my head around what to eat, meds and taking blood sugars. Its all a bit overwhelming at the minute but this forum seems to have lots of support and information, so hoping we will be able to manage ourselves better.

I wish you well Kerry, I have spent the days since diagnosis trying to be good, I've slipped up today, but I'm hoping once I've seen the nurse can begin to plan properly xx have you lost any weight with yours?

Emmasethy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Emma,
Just to encourage you - I've had type 2 diabetes for almost 10 yrs and live a full and active life with NO diabetic complications. Recently I've had all my medication reduced to minimum dosage because I've followed advice from posters on this forum and got my blood glucose levels down to normal non-diabetic levels. My goal is to be meds free and control my type 2 with diet & exercise only. Many people here have done just that. You'll find all the help & encouragement you need on this forum. You are very welcome here x

That would be amazing to get to that stage, I hope I can with the support of everyone on here xx well done to you xx

Emmasethy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Personally I found it harder to cut out the sweet things than giving up smoking since being diagnosed. That said, I have a treat, one square of very dark 90% chocolate (Lindt) at bedtime. I was surprised to be told some years back that I was glucose intolerant, thought I was controlling it OK with diet. Last year, tsk tsk, Type 2. I just potter along, do my best, treat sugar as a poison, carbs carefully, fats and fibre as essential. You can do no more than your best. Hugs :)

Sweet foods are my downfall, I've resisted well until today, not sure how I'm going to cope x thy have been a crutch as well as an addiction xx

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sweet foods are my downfall, I've resisted well until today, not sure how I'm going to cope x thy have been a crutch as well as an addiction xx
Hi Emma, well done for having found this forum so soon after diagnosis. I have found it to be an amazing source of support and inspiration. By following a low carb, high fat diet I have got my HbA1c readings into normal range whilst improving my cholesterol levels at the same time. It is possible and I really haven't found it that difficult which is surprising given that my diet consisted of a lot of cakes, biscuits, chocolate and bread! I started by going cold turkey on the carbs and went through the cupboards emptying all foods that I shouldn't eat (I took them into work and told people to help themselves!). This included things like ketchup, chutneys, jam, honey, flour etc. I then got a metre to test how different foods affected by blood sugar levels and kept a detailed record. I had to buy my own as the diabetic nurse wouldn't prescribe me one as I didn't need medication.

Be reassured that you can find food to replace your normal sweet treats. I still do lots of baking but use almond or coconut flour instead of anything made from grains. Replace sugar with Xylitol or Stevia which are natural sweeteners. There are thousands of ideas on the internet and I have set up a Pintrest board so that I now have my own online recipe book. It sounds really odd but after the initial shock and self-blame of diagnosis, I was left feeling pro-active and in control and, dare I say it, a little bit excited at the prospect of having to do proper, healthy cooking and find recipes. I guess everyone is different! You will find a way through this that works for you but rest assured that you have many people here who will offer you all the support you ask for. Just ask away!

Reactions: 7 people

Emmasethy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Emma, well done for having found this forum so soon after diagnosis. I have found it to be an amazing source of support and inspiration. By following a low carb, high fat diet I have got my HbA1c readings into normal range whilst improving my cholesterol levels at the same time. It is possible and I really haven't found it that difficult which is surprising given that my diet consisted of a lot of cakes, biscuits, chocolate and bread! I started by going cold turkey on the carbs and went through the cupboards emptying all foods that I shouldn't eat (I took them into work and told people to help themselves!). This included things like ketchup, chutneys, jam, honey, flour etc. I then got a metre to test how different foods affected by blood sugar levels and kept a detailed record. I had to buy my own as the diabetic nurse wouldn't prescribe me one as I didn't need medication.

Be reassured that you can find food to replace your normal sweet treats. I still do lots of baking but use almond or coconut flour instead of anything made from grains. Replace sugar with Xylitol or Stevia which are natural sweeteners. There are thousands of ideas on the internet and I have set up a Pintrest board so that I now have my own online recipe book. It sounds really odd but after the initial shock and self-blame of diagnosis, I was left feeling pro-active and in control and, dare I say it, a little bit excited at the prospect of having to do proper, healthy cooking and find recipes. I guess everyone is different! You will find a way through this that works for you but rest assured that you have many people here who will offer you all the support you ask for. Just ask away!

Thank you x will check out Pinterest. Is an Atkins style diet what you mean by high fat and low carb?

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Atkins is I think more high protein than high fat. For a starting point I investigated paleo diets but this still uses 'natural' sugar sources eg honey, maple syrup which are all still sugar so I adapted it. Paleo also omits dairy which I include in my 'high fat' part of the diet. You should also include avocado, nuts, olives, seeds, oily fish as part of the 'high fat' as these are good fats. I also use coconut oil quite a lot in my cooking (as well as rubbing it into my hands and hair - it's great and the effects are really noticeable!).

Scottish Mum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You have all been so kind xx so thank you for your support x those with a sweet tooth, how have you coped?

I have bought some sugar free sweets at times, but need to keep them at a minimum, as some of the polyols used can give me a gippy tummy. I can cope with maltitol, but sorbitol seems to make me ill.

I have mint humbugs & Atkins chocolate bars for emergencies. I almost jumped with joy when I saw Tesco with sugar free lemon sherbet and mint humbugs, but their versions are impossible for my stomach to cope with. As time goes on, and my fruit content is upped, I need sweets less and less. I'd rather have fresh or frozen mango and strawberry whizzed with unsweetened almond milk, and a few blueberries now.

It's a major mystery to me, why, all my life, I've hated blueberries, but now that my blood sugar is mostly under control, I like them. I also freeze them and use those as sweeties. They're awesome and do the trick. Our local supermarket often has loads on offer, so I buy them cheap, then freeze them.

I also freeze fresh strawberries and use those, as I find it hard to stomach the bought frozen strawberries. They always seem to have a more chemical taste to me, even if it might be in my imagination.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try Lindt 85% cocoa chocolate - only 1 square at a time needed! There are also many recipes on the internet that use sweetener instead of sugar (eg Xylitol or Stevia) and almond or coconut flour instead of wheat flour. I like this recipe: http://thebigmansworld.com/2014/08/22/paleo-bake-sunbutter-bars/ It is good to make as a tray bake and keep in the fridge. I just chisel off a small piece as needed. This was also good: http://www.atkins.com/recipes/walnut-orange-bread/575 As well as having as a slice of cake with a cuppa I also had it with a few berries and cream for breakfast!!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum, Im sure you will find a wealth of knowledge and support from our many helpful members.