Statins!

chrisbel

I had a session with my diabetic nurse just under a month ago, which was quite pleasing as she seemed to think I was doing the right thing and told me I didn't need to go on any meds.
I discussed with her something I read on this forum regarding statins and muscle problems, I was on 40mg simvastatin daily. I told her I was a little concerned about the dose I was taking and that I seemed to have muscle ache almost on a permanent basis. I said that I regularly exercised and put the ache down to this and age.
She suggested that I come off them for a month which I have done and now my muscle ache has nearly gone! yes I still get what I would expect after exercise but it goes after a while which was what I used to experience when I was younger.
I am 54 type 2 and diet controlled and after reading several topics on this forum I wondered should I now stay off them my nurse has asked me to let her know the outcome.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I would discuss this with your nurse,Chris,tell her how much better you feel.Have you had results for your cholesterol? If so do you really need to be on statins at all? If your cholesterol is high then maybe she can suggest another statin which will not give you muscle pain.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You have a gem of a DN there!
There's a great deal of evidence that statins simply do not save lives in women. There is a commercial imperative within the NHS to encourage their use, but as you've already discovered for yourself, you're probably a lot healthier without them!

fergus

inwales

I am off statins now after 3 months, did get tingling in my feet while on them.
Feel so much better now.

DN said see if I can keep my Cholesterol down by diet the next 3 months.