Test meters

Merlin22red

recently I was given some test meters to try out, first was an accucheck Mobile with the cassette system, the second is the one touch verio pro.
they both seem to be fairly easy to use but I find the readings are very different, it seems the accucheck uses whole blood for its readings, and the verio pro uses plasma, how it does it is beyond my simple mind as on both systems the sample is whole capillary blood, ther must be some sort of filter system built into the test strips :? in the writeup it says the Lab uses plasma readings for the hab1c test.
although the blood test readings are different, on testing using a control solution, both meters give results only differing 0.01 so which is the better more accurate meter.
the test strips/ cartridges are very little difference in price
accucheck charges ove £24 pounds for the monitoring software.
One touch software is free to down load and very easy to use but you do need to purchase a usb cable although they too are also quite cheap
In my little world confusion reigns supreme,
does any one else use either of these meters and if so what are your views
Les alias Merlin 22 red

alaska

Hi Merlin2red

I moved onto the VerioPro last year. I was really surprised by the difference in the readings I got on the Verio Pro, which were much higher on the Verio Pro.

I called to ask why they were different and they say it is more accurate than other meters. At first I was skeptical, and also partly through disappointment that my numbers were coming out higher than I'd hoped, but since I've accepted the results its been giving, I must be scoring better numbers and therefore I'd expect to see a lower HbA1c at the next check.

So, despite being initially unhappy, I'm now very happy with it.

One word of note, with the Verio Pro, I'm getting hypo symptoms at readings of 4.5 and below, whereas on other meters I will only get hypo symptoms below 4.0

Ed

Grazer

Hiya! They all measure the same thing, but some are REFERENCED to plasma and some not. There's a simple mathematical conversion from one to the other. Most new ones are plasma referenced to give readings in line with published BG guidelines. There's no filter, it's just a bit of maths. accuracy wise, you might be lucky but a wide range test of top brands showed differences of up to 20%! Bayer claim accuracy compared to lab of about 5 % max, errors get worse as readings get higher.

Merlin22red

alaska said:
Hi Merlin2red

I moved onto the VerioPro last year. I was really surprised by the difference in the readings I got on the Verio Pro, which were much higher on the Verio Pro.

I called to ask why they were different and they say it is more accurate than other meters. At first I was skeptical, and also partly through disappointment that my numbers were coming out higher than I'd hoped, but since I've accepted the results its been giving, I must be scoring better numbers and therefore I'd expect to see a lower HbA1c at the next check.

So, despite being initially unhappy, I'm now very happy with it.

One word of note, with the Verio Pro, I'm getting hypo symptoms at readings of 4.5 and below, whereas on other meters I will only get hypo symptoms below 4.0

Ed

Hi Alaska, If I am not mistaken the meter can be set to give both low and high warnings maybe adjust your low meter setting up by 0.5

ballabob

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi 4 weeks ago my Doctors gave me a new Verio Tester, after a few days my readings started to look high so I gave myself more insulin, but still the readings were not good so I went to see my doctor she wasn't to concerned I asked her would it be possible that the tester was faulty no was the reply. Still the readings were high so I managed to see the diabetic nurse today who tested it and confirmed it was faulty ( she didn't believe me at first ) we dis several other tests and gave me a new Verio tester SEE MY EMAIL to her:

Hi Mel,

Just to let you know I tested my BS before dinner on the new tester you gave me today 10.1 then tested again on the old one 6.9 the new one was almost 45% higher !!!!! I think you have a bad batch of Verio testers.

Julie

In view of the above I think I’m better sticking to the old Ultra test strips, could you please amend my latest prescription to One Touch Ultra test strips.

Kind regards

novoguy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
smoking
I had a verio it was rubbish, the test strips work sometimes then they won't, goes flat quickly, these machines are the worst. I have the contor next USB, love it small, Clear screen stays charged it's just the best. Another one I did not like was the Accu check mobile another one I did not like. Good luck