ideas for daughter's supper

sophsmam

hi,
Can anyone suggest what my daughter could have for her supper that won't make her b/s go high.
And also suggestions for breakfast.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I think that the pair of you should sit down and write out all the foods that she likes and then work on a menu. If there are foods that she loves then try and work on acceptable alternatives or compromises so that eating does not become a constant battle. Use a carb counter book to work on the quantities etc. We could all suggest things to eat but, if she does not like these things then she will not eat them!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have just tried making sweet omelettes with berries and cream. Could be either supper or breakfast.
If you want to cook, Get a nice firm ripe tomato, cut its top off, deseed it and break an egg into it top with gated cheese and cook in microwave. about 2 minutes at a guess. Keep checking every 15 seconds.
Or if she eats mushrooms, which I know many kids don't
Clean a mushroom and crumble some cheese on top. Grill for about 3 minutes.
GEt some low carb wraps from one of the on-line suppliers and wrap some canned tuna with whatever she fancies

sophsmam

she likes all cereals but she doesn't have the sugar ones.i'd just like some suggestions what she could have that won't make her b/s sky high mainly at bedtime. so she doesnt need to give herself an extra injection to cover what she's just eaten.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Most cereals are full of carbs and these will put up Bg levels, so you really are going to have to find alternatives as Sue said.

My own two kids were nightmares to feed as all they ever wanted was a bowl of cereal for supper, breakfast and even with an evening meal. They finally started eating savoury stuff which made life a little easier, but neither of them were Diabetic ?

I don't eat before bedtime unless my Bg level is really low ? Even then it might just be a cracker and some cheese, nothing much. Kid's want to eat all the time. My breakfast can be like what Hana has stated, or a traditional Bacon & Egg plus mushrooms or tom's but your daughter would probably feel sick at the thought. I have fruit as well for breakfast, apples, cheese, cold meats etc. Does your daughter like these foods ?

It has to be a joint thing by working out what she likes and gently persuading her to eat more healthy options.

Katharine

oatcakes or wafer biscuits (can be 5g each) with butter and cheddar cheese.

celery with garlic/chive cream cheese.

Almond bread with thin spread of jam.

smoked salmon or ham with cream cheese.

cold meat, fruit, cheese.