Metformin in animals

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Shetland pony has to take 10 metformin a day for her insulin resistance ems which is similar to type 2 diabetes she had caught on it it in her food and hiding it in apples etc was wondering if they could be crushed and still work ok?

hornplayer

Don't know I'm afraid. - If they are tablets - like mine, rather than capsules, I don't see why not.

- can sympathise with the problem though! We used to wrap the dogs tablets in ham, but he used to eat the ham and spit the tablet out. Then we tried moulding cheese around it but the tablet still hit the floor. If it went in his food he'd either take the tablet out and leave it on the kitchen floor, or walk away and refuse to eat until it was gone. - We always caved first as weightloss was one of the things the tablets were trying to prevent! We never did find a successful delivery method for tablets. We ended up giving him a liquid which, strangely enough, he allowed us to squirt directly into his mouth.

Good luck with it!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jeves

You can also get metformin in liquid form may cost more from a pharmacy though

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

abs said:
My Shetland pony has to take 10 metformin a day for her insulin resistance ems which is similar to type 2 diabetes she had caught on it it in her food and hiding it in apples etc was wondering if they could be crushed and still work ok?

desolve it in a spoon full water and put the liquid in the mouth.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
For my collie, coconut oil wrapped round pill is wolfed down no probs :lol:

Dazza1984

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi abs. I'm new to the forum to reading around and came across your post here. I am a vet and in your case would adv to crush it rather than mix in water. This is not to say the latter is wrong but it's all to do with the rate of absorption. A whole tab takes longer than a crushes one, and a crushed one takes longer than dissolved.
I am a small animal vet now but do the same with dog/cats. It is pref to give the whole tab but if it's a toss up between getting the med in her or not then dissolve it. D :)

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks started to crush them managed to speak to my vet who said ok.

Could never syringe it into her as she goes mad just with me trying to worm her since she had colic she gets stressed with simple things.

T2 Med free

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know cats, dogs and horses what other animals suffer from diabetes I feel so sorry for them because they can't tell us how they feel but humans can moan and groan