Diabetic partner

SJ86X

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all

I wanted to introduce myself, I'm SJ and although I dont have diabetes myself, my partner has and I wanted to use this forum not only to get a better understanding but to get advice and support for him.

He is one of these guys that just gets on with it and doesnt like the thought of discussing his diabetes in depth, especially on social media but I on the other hand feel this is an excellent source of information and support.

I guess you will want to know a little bit more... Me and my partner (we'll call him Mr SJ :)) have been together coming up 6 years. He has been a type 1 diabetic for 24 years (diagnosed at 4 and is now 28)

For most of his life he had been on Humalog Mix injections twice a day but then he started suffering bad hypos - the worse one being in his sleep and he almost choked during a bad fit but luckily the ambulance came in time (one of the scariest moments of my life!!!)

Since then we found a good diabetic centre close to us and he started meeting consultants who determined he was on the wrong insulin for his lifestyle etc and now takes one 24 hour long term insulin and one for his meals (lantus and apidra but I get them confused!)

That was a year ago and since then things have been great, he has hardly had any hypos and has got really good at counting carbs etc

However, the last 6 months or so haven't been that great. Because he spent so long having problems with his blood sugars going up and down, they have caused some damage to his eyes where extra blood vessels have grown. He had quite a bit of laser surgery last year which seemed to have worked but in his last check up a few weeks ago not only have there been more blood vessels, some have even burst. This has resulted in much more intense laser surgery last week.

Mr SJ doesn't usually dwell on his diabetes but this has really shook him, he is paranoid of losing his sight and I try my best to reassure him but sometimes I feel I'm not doing a good enough job!

Anyways that is all from me at the moment, if anyone would like to say hi or even if someone has had a similar experience, I would really appreciate hearing more.

SJ xx

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hello and welcome. I'm T2 and have no experience with eye issues but I just wanted to say welcome :)

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum. Im sure you will find the forum a great source of help and support.

ChuckD

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, i am in a similar situation myself, I think you're making the right decision coming on here! Go Girl!