The 10 Most Ridiculous Scientific Studies

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
From the Ripley's Believe It Or Not files:

http://time.com/4026473/ridiculous-science-studies/

And they wonder why people are becoming cynical about the wonders of science?

I put it in the jokes and humour section, even though it's fact not fiction :p
Studies like these may look "d'uh" but they are each needed and important in their own way, as part of a wider process of using research findings to improve services and make policies. That's how the scientific process works.

I'm curious as to your thoughts on why some people are cynical about science? The phones and computers we are using were developed using research, some of which probably looked "d'uh" when viewed in isolation. Are people cynical about science also cynical about phones and computers?

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Studies like these may look "d'uh" but they are each needed and important in their own way, as part of a wider process of using research findings to improve services and make policies. That's how the scientific process works.

I'm curious as to your thoughts on why some people are cynical about science? The phones and computers we are using were developed using research, some of which probably looked "d'uh" when viewed in isolation. Are people cynical about science also cynical about phones and computers?

Phones are great tools for communication, but let's face it they can be abused in cunning ways.. Prank & cold calls..?
In a simalar vein with computers, the Internet is full of dodgy science. Indeed even the good science is "cut & paste" selectively, then used in parts to back up wild claims & inapropriate advice...

I can understand the cynicism... ;)

Reactions: 10 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Phones are great tools for communication, but let's face it they can be abused in cunning ways.. Prank & cold calls..?
In a simalar vein with computers, the Internet is full of dodgy science. Indeed even the good science is "cut & paste" selectively, then used in parts to back up wild claims & inapropriate advice...

I can understand the cynicism... ;)
Me too, which is why I believe in assessing what I read and finding the primary sources rather than the press releases and third hand commentary.

But Indy's comment didn't make a distinction between different types of science writing, it just said people are cynical about science, implying all of science. That's a big part of the world to be cynical about. I'm interested in understanding why she said that.

And there's nothing wrong with cynicism IMO - my family and friends joke about my cynicism on some subjects. But science is such a valuable tool in our world. Just trying to understand, that's all.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Me too, which is why I believe in assessing what I read and finding the primary sources rather than the press releases and third hand commentary.

But Indy's comment didn't make a distinction between different types of science writing, it just said people are cynical about science, implying all of science. That's a big part of the world to be cynical about. I'm interested in understanding why she said that.

And there's nothing wrong with cynicism IMO - my family and friends joke about my cynicism on some subjects. But science is such a valuable tool in our world. Just trying to understand, that's all.

Indeed science is a valuable tool.. New methods of research is always being developed with astounding advances..

One day science will reach the point where what we thought we knew through old research findings was wrong..

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Indeed science is a valuable tool.. New methods of research is always being developed with astounding advances..

One day science will reach the point where what we thought we knew through old research findings was wrong..
Indeed, and that is happening all the time. Our information is only as good as the research we have done up to that point.

ChuckD

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
fbd.jpg

Reactions: 5 people