Travelling abroad on holiday, stay on pump or go back to MDI?

shelleyh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i am travelling to Mexico in 2 weeks time and am undecided as to staying on my insulin pump or returning to MDI for the holiday period. I have travelled before using my pump and loved the ease of changing to a different time zone and all the benefits a pump gives me but was quite conscious of having it attached to my swimsuit around the pool. I was also wary of the pump being exposed to the sun even when covered with a beach towel.
The following year I went back to MDI for the two week period that I travelled abroad to see if I found it an easier option. Calculating the time difference was a nightmare and my blood sugars were not as well controlled. Also I was tied to a Levemir split dose at specific times. But around the pool and beach area was much better and I felt less anxious.
I am now undecided as to what to do as both methods offer pros and cons. Any advice would be really helpful either from experience or suggestions.
Thanks.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Given what you've said above I'd be inclined to stick with the pump, did you find that your insulin deteriorated in your pump the last time you holidayed abroad?

shelleyh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Noblehead
No I didn't find it deteriorated I was just overly concerned about that happening. I would change the set every 2 days abroad, just in case but also do my BG checks 4-5 times a day so would probably see a rise in blood sugar levels. I guess it's just being able to answer questions from others that will confirm what I need to do as I am starting to agree with you that the pump has the edge at the moment.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks for the reply @shelleyh :)

I just started on a pump earlier this year so have no experience to offer, but I know some pump users do take a break when holidaying abroad, I'm pleased that the insulin fairs well in the heat as this is one concern I have if I ever travel to a warmer country again.

Anyway, hope you get a few more replies and you enjoy your holiday in Mexico.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
I would stick on the pump. My pump stood up to 34 degrees in Valencia last year though Mexico could be much hotter I'm sure! Insulin in my pens coped fine in 42 in Sevila the years before Drs mentioned cooling packs or anything like that. For me it was shade, the bottom of my bag and hope! There are lots of cool accessories out there for putting the pump in as I'm sure you know but honestly, no one blinked at me once with my tubes out. Any stares I got were where they always were, the chest region *eyeroll*. Now, I have social anxiety so I was insanely observant to anyone around me and honestly, not a peep. If you can come to feel comfortable with the idea of telling any nosy gits that it is your 'diabetic pump', I think the pump will work best for you. However, I know just how challenging a mindset that can be to get into.

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I went to Mexico last year with my pump and I always do the same when on holiday. Heat is never a problem...and if it was the issue would be worse with mdi than with pump. My pump was inside my swimming trunk pocket and no one could see it....and anyway the control was so much better...with all the time zone difference ...

shelleyh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I just wanted to update you following our discussion last month. I travelled to Mexico and wore my pump. Everything was fine, my blood sugars were stable and there was no messing around trying to calculate times for my Levemir jab. It was so easy and relatively worry free. I placed my pump in a bag at the side of me when sunbathing and would remove it when swimming. Whilst on the beach I noticed an American lady with an insulin pump attached to her bikini also. I can honestly say that it was the best decision I made to use my pump abroad as I had a fantastic time.
Thanks to all of you who commented and helped me to make the right decision

Reactions: 8 people

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've recently had my first beach holiday with pump and was so nervous about it. Like you I was considering mdi, then spoke to someone who had done mdi and it ruined her holiday as her levels were all over and it made her feel rubbish the whole time. This was the decider for me to stay with the pump. I was so glad I did it worked perfect for me. I bought a pump sized frio which I hardly ended up using in all honesty, I just tended to keep pump in the shade covered up. I didn't use anymore supplies than usual, but took enough for about 2 months just incase! I bought some pump pouched from pouch fir all in different colours which I hooked round my bikini bottoms and didn't really find people taking much notice to be honest. I've cone to the point now where I just think stuff it, let people look and think what they want I really don't care x

Reactions: 4 people