Anyone induce at 39 weeks ?

Pooja80

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ladies ,

I am 37 weeks and my OB wants to induce me in 39 weeks , but I m afraid , I m requesting her to induce me at 38 weeks ...
Anyone who is induces at 39 weeks with no complication ... Baby weight is 5pound and 11oz at 36 week ultrasound .. Very confused ?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Someone a lot younger than me will be on soon, I'm sure, but my oldest was induced at 39 weeks. My consultant did intend inducing at 38 weeks but my brother was getting married that day and I'd been told I'd be able to go to the wedding.
My daughter was born at 40 weeks and all went well.

Both babies were slightly over 8lb which compared quite well to other babies of non diabetic mothers. This was 30 years ago but it was usual to be induced at 38 weeks at that time.

Your consultant won't give you a date that would be harmful to you or the baby, so don't worry.

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it depends on the doctor you see more than anything, if all is well and things are healthy.

My doctor doesn't like to go past 38 weeks, but I've heard of others who will go to 40 as long as there are no complications (good BP, placenta seems healthy, baby isn't measuring large).

Pooja80

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey thanks for ur reply sleepyheadzz, all is ok as of now , but Bp is high now a days ...no medication though ...

aditi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello there..I was induced at the completion of 38 weeks..induction didn't go as planned..and I landed with a c section. I hate it when I look back but my doc and everyone says..I only look at everything from my diabetic window ! That having said with diabetes it's tough to let some one go all the way up to 40 weeks. @pooja 80 are you in india?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it depends both on the doctor and the country's guidelines. In the UK I think the guidance says in the 37th or 38th week (for Thpe 1 at least) It's a balance between inducing early and maiming sure the baby is ready to be born. I don't think there's any magic answer. Your doctor will know you best.

It may also depend on the type of diabetes you have.

However, if you're concerned, then ask your doctor the reasons for the induction date. That might make you feel happier.

Reactions: 2 people

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was induced at 37 weeks with my first due to a big baby, she was 7lb 10 but very chubby. My 2nd I ended up with a section at 36 weeks due to baby decreasing in size, he was estimated at 5lb but born 7lb 3! He was in special care for 10 days due to breathing problems even after a course of steroids at 34 weeks. I think it all depends how yours and babies wellbeing is doing. My consultant doesn't like to go past 38 weeks and that was the aim with both of mine but due to problems ended up having both earlier than expected. Personally I would be wanting to be checked daily if I was going past 38 weeks with type 1 x

Pooja80

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
A little update , had an appointment today with OB , finally she gave the induction date , 6th October exact at 38 weeks ... Everyday monitoring till then because my blood pressure is little high .... 4 days to go....

Reactions: 4 people

Elliebug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was induced planned section at 37+3 with my daughter she was showing as 7lb 7 on scan on the Friday had daughter following thurs 8lb 10oz scans are tad in accurate I found, this preg theve says from 38 weeks , good luck with your induction x

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
It depends on your hospital. In London the one I'm at is 39 weeks but I know there are others which are 38 and one which is 40 (although they wanted a min hba1c of 6% throughout). If you trust your dr listen to them. The longer you wait the more chance the baby will have to make its own appearance which reduces your chances of csection and complications.