24 weeks pregnant and movements

nmb264

Hello

Firstly got my latest hba1c and its 6%. Yay!

My blood in the last two weeks though have been erratic and even the hospital have said not to make any changes as they are so variable.
I've now been given all the leaflets about movements and instantly paranoid!! How on do I distinguish the baby hiccuping or kicking?? First baby and clueless. X

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You'll know if you feel it :) Baby's movements will feel like bubbles popping in your tummy or the flick of a fish's tail early on, and then the kicks become more definite. Hiccups feel like rhythmic jumps.

Lots of the movements will be kind of presses rather than kicks. You should also feel your tummy shifting inside as the baby changes position as it gets bigger. You may not notice movements if you're on the go, but many women feel them sitting down or lying down.

Hope that helps :)

Edited to add - well done on your HbA1C!

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I remember my consultant asking me if I'd felt any movement. When I said I hadn't, he told me it wouldn't be long and would feel like a little butterfly. That's exactly what it did feel like when baby started moving. I'm sorry, I can't remember how many weeks I was but do remember people seemed to be asking me all the time if I'd felt movement.

jade88

I've just started having flutterings at 20 weeks - apparently there easily missed especially in first time pregnancies and it does vary for everyone - mine feels a bit like my stomach is flipping! xxx

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I started feeling something close to 20 weeks, maybe 19. They didn't get consistent and regular to around 25.

I've never seen a description that's exactly how it felt for me. When people say 'popcorn popping' that is not at all how I'd describe it. Butterflies was the closest thing but even that isn't quite right. Now it's lots of rolling movements and pressure in different areas and not really that many actual kicks. Hiccuping is only something I noticed in the last week and half (almost 30 weeks). My husband can't feel it from the outside but it feels like little bumps at regular intervals that last for a little while.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for this. When did you start to feel regular movements?

This was my third baby so I knew what the movements felt like. Also, I was very sensitive this time so I felt them really early.

In my first pregnancy, I felt the first bubbles of movement at around 18 weeks, I think (children have addled my brain!)

Lying down or sitting quietly is the best way to feel. You might also find that baby reacts to cold or hot drinks or something sweet or cold. If you put your hand on your tummy gently it helps focus you attention, I find. You'll feel the movements inside before you can feel them outside. This pregnancy, I felt the first kick from the outside at approx 20weeks.

It also depends which way baby is lying and where your placenta is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

nmb264

I've been feeling things for the last weeks but nothing major. My placenta is at the front so they say they may not be as definitive as the placenta is another layer.

Hitting insulin resistance too now! Boo x

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had an anterior placenta too so hardly felt a thing up until 25 weeks and it worried the he'll out if me after feeling my first from alot earlier. These next few weeks though you will start feeling alot more and you will know the hiccups as it will be like you've got hiccups with the regular little jumps but from your stomach. Awww your making me want another bump :'( xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been feeling things for the last weeks but nothing major. My placenta is at the front so they say they may not be as definitive as the placenta is another layer.

Hitting insulin resistance too now! Boo x

It depends so much on the position of the baby, so don't worry. If you ever have any concerns, phone the hospital and they can check or advise you and put your mind at rest.