bloods out of control & 4weeks pregnant

khadijah_jade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hello.
i have just found out that i am 4 weeks pregnant, it was a big shock! my sugar levels haven't been the best over the last few months and i haven't had a HBA1C done since December 2014! i am really worried about the baby having birth defects or miscarriage, this is my second pregnancy, with my first my sugars were very well controlled as i was trying for a baby, but this tie round is totally different.
has anybody else been in this situation and had a positive outcome? and how did you manage your blood sugars? any tips would be much appreciated.

thank you

Emilyprice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, yes I had this situation with my son! My levels were appalling..I mean really really bad. It was over 10 (old currency) and that's all I'm saying. Obviously as soon as I found out I was straight on it and brought it down. I had a scary talk with my endo which completely depressed me, however my son was absolutely fine and healthy and a gorgeous bundle of joy! I worried the whole preg about him, but he was perfect. I did bring it down extremely quickly though and unfortunately for my eyes it was not good. I'd make sure you bring it down as quickly as you can but to discuss with your doc avout how best to do it safely and also in consultation with a good ophthamologist just to be safe as a rapid drop in sugars can (not always) cause retinopathy to progress. Good luck and try not to stress about things you can't change and focus on keeping yourself well now x

khadijah_jade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, yes I had this situation with my son! My levels were appalling..I mean really really bad. It was over 10 (old currency) and that's all I'm saying. Obviously as soon as I found out I was straight on it and brought it down. I had a scary talk with my endo which completely depressed me, however my son was absolutely fine and healthy and a gorgeous bundle of joy! I worried the whole preg about him, but he was perfect. I did bring it down extremely quickly though and unfortunately for my eyes it was not good. I'd make sure you bring it down as quickly as you can but to discuss with your doc avout how best to do it safely and also in consultation with a good ophthamologist just to be safe as a rapid drop in sugars can (not always) cause retinopathy to progress. Good luck and try not to stress about things you can't change and focus on keeping yourself well now x

emilyprice

thanks for your comment, that sounds pretty scary. is there any kind of treatment or prevention from getting retinopathy? because i have been trying to get my sugars under control for the last few days now and ive been having quite a few lows, its very hard to manage in such a small amount of time. also how much did your son weigh at birth? my first son weighed 9lbs and was delivered 2 weeks early! and that was with outstanding sugars! Xx

Emilyprice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was a bit! But I also wasn't expecting it and didn't have eyes checked until about 4 months preg, so I would ask them that you have really regular check ups as soon as you can. There's lots they can do if they spot anything, laser etc its just something to be aware of if you're bringing down sugars very quickly. He was born at 37 weeks (I was really poorly, completely separate to anything else) and he was 7lb 11 so would have been much more I'm sure! They were happy with his weight though! Aw really! I was actually 9lb 12 when I was born (mum not diabetic) so maybe you have the big baby gene xx

khadijah_jade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was a bit! But I also wasn't expecting it and didn't have eyes checked until about 4 months preg, so I would ask them that you have really regular check ups as soon as you can. There's lots they can do if they spot anything, laser etc its just something to be aware of if you're bringing down sugars very quickly. He was born at 37 weeks (I was really poorly, completely separate to anything else) and he was 7lb 11 so would have been much more I'm sure! They were happy with his weight though! Aw really! I was actually 9lb 12 when I was born (mum not diabetic) so maybe you have the big baby gene xx

Okay i will be ringing them tomorrow. I've always kind of put off getting my eyes checked but I know during pregnancy it is vital. Well I really hope I don't have the big baby gene lol can not handle carrying another 9 pounder! Especially only being 5ft aha.
Thanks for your help hun x

Emilyprice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha fingers crossed for you that he / she will be less than your first! And congrats! Xx

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations! My first pregnancy was unplanned with a hba1c of 11 it's safe to say the consultant was far from impressed and I was scared half to death if my baby was going to be ok. She was born at 37 weeks due to looking huge, she was 7lb 10 but super chubby!
The main thing us you start taling your higher dose of folic acid and try and get your levels under control. I had retinopathy issues with my second which I think was due to the sudden tightening of control but was seen monthly during pregnancy then 8 weekly and now 6 monthly and they are happy things seem to be improving. So definitely stay on top of that x