8 Weeks Preg & Type 1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not very nice people
good morning everyone, hope everyone is well..

i am 8 weeks 2 days pregnant i had a missed misscarriage back in march and found out the baby had anencephaly, so as you can imgaine i am really scared this time, i had a private scan last week the baby had a strong heart beat, but i cant help been scared, also for the last two days my blood sugars have been at 12/15 which is really high. i have been doing everything right has anyone else had this happen to them? also does anyone know the chances of this happening again.. i know been type 1 is hard as it is but when your pregnant its worst!.

any feedback/replies are welcome

thanks for listening Sarah xxx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Sarah,

I completely understand why you're nervous after what happened, but keep in mind that many, many ladies with Type 1 get pregnant and have normal babies. Also, anencephaly happens to non-diabetic mums too.

Are you taking a high dose of folic acid?

It's not uncommon for some women to get highs early in pregnancy. If you're confident doing correction doses, you could cautiously correct these highs. Or you could phone your team to get their advice. Pregnancy is hard work when you're diabetic. It's a case of testing lots and adjusting your insulin as needed throughout the oregnancy. Hard but do-able :)

I highly doubt that any pregnant woman with diabetes has perfect blood sugars all the time. A few highs are to be expected. All you can do is try to keep in range as much as possible. Test lots - I always tested after meals so I could correct any high. That meant my blood sugar was only out of range for a very short time.

Have a look round this Pregnanvy forum. You'll see lots of people who've had beautiful babies. There's no reason why you can't be one of them :)

Congratulations on your pregnancy :) Take one day at a time and get the support of your hospital team when you need it.

Best wishes,

Azure

Reactions: 2 people

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations! Sorry to hear of what you went through previously.
Are you taking your higher dose of folic acid which you need to get prescribed? Also have you been seen by your diabetes team yet? I was seen weekly throughout my pregnancies and they're great at helping you get things under control and check babies doing ok.
Are you confident with doing correction doses? You need to try and keep your bloods in range as much as you can to keep your blood sugar levels stable for your baby. 5.9 or below is the target I was given with a rise of upto 7.9 2 hours after a meal