How long has it been?

LucyLikee

hiya my name's Lucy

I was dignosed with type 1 diabetes when I was 5 years old, 10 years ago
I remember coming out of the doctors surgery with my mum crying next to me and not understanding what was going on, the next thing I knew I was in hospital with a drip in my hand.
I used to have a HUGE phobia of needles back then and I used to lock myself in the hospital bathrooms to get away from having to do my injections
I also remember being held down to the hospital bed by about 5 nurses just so that they could do my finger prick
I'm MUCH better with needles now though :lol: they're just a daily thing to me now and I'm used to it

it's nice to be able to finally talk to people with the same condition as there aren't many people that I know of with diabetes that I can really share my problems with :D

x

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My daughter will have had type 1 for 4 years in October, she's 8 now.

Giraffe

10 years for me. I didn't find it really erth shattering, but I was diagnosed with gestational and then it just hung around as T1, which meant that I was dealing with a new baby and being diabetic, so it kind of dilutes the whole thing really. All I cared about was sleep!

It's not so bad, I've always thought that. At least it's not terminal cancer. And I remember reading in some magazine (probably reader's Digest at the hospital!) about a woman who had some terrible disease, and she said, "I never think, why me? I just think, well, why not me?" And I think th e same - I'm not so special, there's no reason it shouldn't be me, in fact I'm amazingly lucky in most respects.

Giraffe

But I feel for the kids who have it. That must really be tough, although kids are amazingly adaptable creatures, which is just as well!

Oh, adn Plymouth dave - agree with you - DOH!! Stoopid pancreas!

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Giraffe I think in a similar way about my daughter's diabetes. I always try to look on the bright side of most things. Of course I wish that she didn't have it, but I'm grateful that she doesn't have a terminal illness. And I'm also grateful that we are living in a time when insulin injections are available.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Giraffe/Sophia W

I applaud the both of you for your courage and positive attitude towards diabetes. I too sometimes share this reasoning, however I will admit that there are days where I sit and think how wonderful life would be without constant injections, blood testing and everything else that hinders our life on a daily basis. I know this is wrong, and believe it or not I am quite a happy forward looking person, and diabetes management and control today has vastly improved since I was first diagnosed, but I still have these moments of 'what if'. :roll:

Nigel

Derek27db

26 and a bit years ago, February 1983, aged 5 and a half.

Was a good kid who did as I was told. Ate & injected when and how much I was asked and never questioned. Until I got a new Diabetic Consultant 5 years later who explained how to understand blood sugars and adjust insulin.

Before then the clinic I went to explained next to nothing and to do as they 'advised' i.e do as your told. It was so bad my mum and dad gave me insulin during hypos because they only knew insulin is good for diabetes! Still here to tell that story thankfully. I think it was down to the consultant being very old and I think his methods were set in his ways. Plus there wasn't a lot in the way of information for parents of diabetic kids mid-eighties I've found out.

Eventually the new consultant told us of a self-help group that was started locally through the BDA at that time. Information soon became abundant and I started secondary school a couple of years later ready to deal with anything diabetes through at me through knowing what I was doing. Knowledge is a great thing and no-one should be denied it.

I was proud as punch when I was responsible enough to draw up my own insulin and inject myelf at 7, with supervision of course. That was probably the 1st time I realised that I controlled it and not the other way around.

mca2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
41 days and counting - diagnosed, while on holiday in Latvia, on July 15th this year at the age of 38. Slotting back into the NHS has been interesting - they seem to get confused when patients do not arrive by the usual route. However, I received a good basic training in injections and carb counting from the diabetes nurse in Latvia, have completed the bdec online course, have a great nurse here and will see a diabetologist in a couple of weeks. Reading forums has been a life saver!

I have the triad of possible 'causes' - Type 1 in the family, a very stressful year following a return to the UK after many years overseas, and the usual plethora of new viruses that come with a move to a new country!

Trying to veer towards the positive end of the attitude spectrum, but generally struggle to go farther than philosophical acceptance!

Mark

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thought it was three years in September. Then I actually worked out it's four! Where does the time go?

Always looking for healthy ways to even out the numbers.

AnneK

I'm Anne and my 9 year old son Reece was diagnosed in April this year by chance. We're at the 5 month mark now. He's has been so responsible and reacted positivley to it i am so very proud of him. Was hard for him in the beginning but now he gets on with it and questions my brother in law as to why he doesn't manage his diabetes properly.

I think children are so adaptable and just get on with it. We suspect a virus trigger his diabetes.... just one of those things. I have huge respect for my boy... I still struggle with it all some days and even question if they dignosed him properly!!!

His dad is about to deploy to Afghanistan in 3 weeks time and he's finding that so much harder thn having dibetes.

i was diagnosed at age 12... i am now 25. woohoo!

this discussion reminds me of two art pieces i've made for my diabetes art website, which you can view at www.type1diabetesart.com.

one of the artworks is titled "twenty four birthdays" because when i turned 24, it occurred to me that i had diabetes for 12 years and lived 12 years without it... so it was an exact half way point.
another one of my art pieces titled "once upon a cure" talks about the fact that they always say a cure is 5 years away, but yet 5 years passes over and over, with no cure [yet!!!] :wink:

---diabetes artist
www.type1diabetesart.com

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Jonesy, I know it is very early days for your son and you but please try not to be too despondent, it isn't all that bad honest :D I have been type 1 for 34 years, since I was 11, and have led a pretty full life, I have two lovely daughters, do most of the things I want to and I am sure I will be round for a long time yet!

Lorna

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I've had if for 30 years since I was 10.

My dad was a GP and in accordance with tradition didn't pick it up until I was comatose and rushed to hospital. I remember thinking it was cool to be in an ambulance and then was out for a couple of days. It never really bothered me; it was just something that happened and you had to get on with. I can't think that it's stopped me doing anything. The only real worry was when my insulin stopped working whilst back packing in China, but got more insulin from the British Embassy of all places so it all was good in the end.

What does bother me is that I'm bloody 40! How did that happen?

iHs

I've been Type 1 since 1965 aged 10.5.

For the first 10 years I desperately wanted to be cured but by the time I left school, I got a good job, passed my driving test, got a boyfriend, got a social life and soon realised that being diabetic was not going to affect anything that I really wanted to do. It was an inconvenience but I just got on with life.

Carol11

Too long. Since 2/07 I was dx as type 1 at age 60 SIXTY!! and no one will tell how or why. this has destroyed my life Nothing I ever do gets me any where near normal.One day I'm high all day, no amount of insulin will bring it down and the next I'm low all day, I eat basically the same every day, carbs wise, and exercise the same amount and times. and nothing ever works. And for those of you who sail through this with nor wories or problems good for you. But it is not that way for me.

mikethebike

Diagnosed aged 5 been Type 1 for nearly 43 years.
Dont remember anything else and wonder if I would be better witout it.....or would I ??

I take reasonable care of myself and think I am am fit and healthy. Any minor complications I may have are not noticeable. I cycled 147 miles one day this year because I could so my general health and fitness is possibly better than the average person my age.

I have been lucky and worked at several good companies doing interesting jobs in the UK and abroad.
I own my own home.
I have been married 26 yrs and have 3 sons aged 23, 19 and 14.

Diabetes can still be a pain tryng to keep on top of it and in control of all the time.
Im still learning ......
But I can hardly say having diabetes has messed my life up can I?
I am very fortunate and I realise now that having diabetes has probably made me get and keep my life in order. :D

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
moaning people who have nothing wrong with them
Diagnosed april 1970 only 16years old.got partner 4 kids well big kids 23 22 20 18.all still live at home.just got on with it have ups and downs but am healthier than most people i know.do more things than a lot of people my age!!!Travel everywhere and basically look after everyone else i dont think anyone thinks i have a health condition probably because i never seem to get sick.i wonder who has had this condition the longest on our website and who is the oldest :p :p :p