Self testing is unreliable and unnecessary

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Yes. But its not linear. And the arbitrary lines are where threy are with good reason if you're advising someone with a Hba1c of 38 to make any changes because of the possibility if getting diabetes than you are simply giving them bad advice. 0.25% of people with a Hba1c of 38 will get diabetes within 3 years. That's 1 in 400. Any advice you give to someone I'm that position is not about their health it'd about your ego. Your bring third person this case!
I do not give advice to people, I make suggestions or share information. If it's a subject like this, I always suggest people discuss it with their HCP. Many people here, myself included, progressed through the 30s then the 40s and into T2, usually because our doctors sat back and waited for us to reach 48. I guess we all must be 1 in 400, lol. Mike, all the times when I've discussed with people their results of being in the high 30s and they have asked the forum whether they should do anything about it... no one has ever raised the issue you are raising. And several other posters have also suggested people reduce carbs and get further monitoring by their doctors. That's what we do here, we use information to support other people. Most of us, anyway.

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep an eye on these forums. It's rare that someone with no diabetes or prediabetic comes here asking what to do. If tests are normal and always have been most people simply won't care, if their gp even tells them the result. "help I'm almost prediabetic" accounts for a tiny % of posts here.

If someones blood sugar is responding normally what is the relevance of a low carb diet? Even with diabetes many of us control our bs beautifully on a normal diet.

And check the study. The 1 in 400 is on page 2. Just because jenny ruhl doesn't link to a study from her site it doesn't mean it's not real!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@CatLadyNZ
It is decided by committee but it isn't totally arbitrary, they use cut off points for the presence or absence of microvascular complication from various studies to determine diagnosis level. There is indeed a continuum but that is taken into account of in what is sometimes called pre diabetes. Have a look at the graph on P10 of the WHO report, There is a chart a couple of pages later with the cutoff points for prevalence of complications from other studies over many years. (not one is under 6% ie 42.1)

bob1965

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
But your HbA1c was 42. You crossed the line to a not normal Hba1c so you join the system and hopefully tale note as you seem to becsuse statistically you are more likely to become diabetic.
Yes I have crossed the line but have not joined the system because my Dr advised I could only become diabetic if I was obese and had a sedentary lifestyle. I am neither so I don’t fit the statistics

I had FBG test in October 2013 the result was 5.6 again I had crossed the line but no action was taken I was not advised of anything

I currently have a major health problem that I know is directly linked to eating carbohydrate and fluctuating bs levels, thanks to the contributors of this forum I have taken onboard their advice and experience and turned my life around while my Drs are happy to sit back and watch my sugar levels rise and do nothing till I hit the FBG level of 7, they wont do any more Hba1c test until I have hit that level

The current plan is to test me annually with a fasting blood glucose test; I know by self testing that I fluctuate daily, Sunday I was 7, Monday 5.4 this morning 6. So if I had my annual test on Sunday I would be diabetic, on Monday I would be normal? (I know I have to be 7 on 2 occasions but this just shows an example of what I am up against)

I agree with Catlady and Bluetit everyone is different, yet because I don’t fit the profile, stereotype or statistics, I get diagnosed as having CFS, makes me wonder how many people with CFS actually have an underlying bs level problem but have near normal FBG tests so get overlooked

Nearly every week there is something in the news about diabetes getting out of control and I can see why.

I would rather take advice from people that live it, experience it and what they have done to overcome it.

By changing my diet I have stopped my blood sugars from fluctuating but have also probably lowered my Hba1c to below 42 but the problem is still there, it has not gone away

Reactions: 4 people

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@bob1965 I'm not sure what your point is? Your HbA1c was over 42 ergo you raised a flag that lead to you managing your blood sugar. That's the system working. Once you cross the line like you and I have you never go back. But the discussion is about people who've never crossed the line. Your story and mine aren't relevant.

Sounds like you need to get your gp in check though!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@bob1965 I would stop worrying about your fluctuating FBG levels. Everyone fluctuates, even non-diabetics. So much depends on many factors outside our control, whether it be stress, a restless night, dreams, timing of the test, meter fluctuations, and of course the dreaded Dawn Phenomenon. Then of course there is what you ate/drank the night before, and whether you over indulged in protein the previous day. If I were you I would test at other times of the day if you don't already. Bedtime would be a good start to see whether you rise over night when asleep.

Reactions: 4 people

denbo

These were the words used by my doctor yesterday. I was diagnosed as type2 in March and had a whole lot of tests. Since then I have been sent for 2 blood tests but only found out last week that neither of these included HbA1c test. So I have been asked to change my diet etc radically but they haven't checked my blood sugar since. In shock, I asked for a monitor so I could check my own level. That was the response. Do I ignore this and buy the equipment myself?
Your local clinic or yr diabetic nurse will supply yr meter and yr doctor will supply the strips you need to test I'm a driver so it's complusery for me to

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do not give advice to people, I make suggestions or share information. If it's a subject like this, I always suggest people discuss it with their HCP. Many people here, myself included, progressed through the 30s then the 40s and into T2, usually because our doctors sat back and waited for us to reach 48. I guess we all must be 1 in 400, lol. Mike, all the times when I've discussed with people their results of being in the high 30s and they have asked the forum whether they should do anything about it... no one has ever raised the issue you are raising. And several other posters have also suggested people reduce carbs and get further monitoring by their doctors. That's what we do here, we use information to support other people. Most of us, anyway.

Hi,

Though I feel you are a caring compassionate individual, with a strong proactive D ethic.
I have noticed your style when contributing to certain threads is to incline towards "promoting" insulin use (on some occasions an MDI regime.) to uncontrolled.bewildered pill managed T2s before ascertaining (or anyone else for that matter.) the dietary facts..

I feel this could harm the good name of DCUK if a new member was given the aforementioned suggestion, believing it the definitive solution to their particular D managment needs & aproach a doctor with such a request. Stating they heard it from here.

I have no wish ro hurt feelings. But I do have a concern regarding this issue..

With respect.

J>

Reactions: 7 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi,

Though I feel you are a caring compassionate individual, with a strong proactive D ethic.
I have noticed your style when contributing to certain threads is to incline towards "promoting" insulin use (on some occasions an MDI regime.) to uncontrolled.bewildered pill managed T2s before ascertaining (or anyone else for that matter.) the dietary facts..

I feel this could harm the good name of DCUK if a new member was given the aforementioned suggestion, believing it the definitive solution to their particular D managment needs & aproach a doctor with such a request. Stating they heard it from here.

I have no wish ro hurt feelings. But I do have a concern regarding this issue..

With respect.

J>
No, I always talk about diet as being the best way to reduce BGs and only if that isn't possible, that insulin could be considered. This is for those people who say they have very high BGs that they are very concerned about and they don't seem willing or able to reduce them using diet. For those people, I believe that discussing insulin with their doctor is better than long term high BGs and complications. The other situation where I mention MDI is when someone is already established on mixed insulin or basal only, and finding it's not working, and often they say in response that they had never heard about MDI perhaps being better for them.

It's nice that you want to protect the good name of DCUK but honestly no one can do that by attempting to control what others post. It's just an internet forum, where there is no control over posting (apart from the rules), and HCPs know that and that's why they don't respect any info gleaned from forums. HCPs are used to patients coming to them with ideas they get from the internet, friends, family, magazines, books, and wherever. I've seen some pretty inaccurate things said on this forum by a range of people, and the best solution is for other posters to point it out in the thread at the time, and for the OP and all readers to take whatever they hear with a grain of salt. A poster is cannot be held responsible for how a reader interprets their post or for the reputation of an entire forum.

Please can we let this thread go back to being about the OP instead of a "let's all comment on CatLadyNZ's posting style"? I do appreciate you being respectful in your post though. How about we discuss this by PM or you start a thread about the general issue, without personalising it? Just a suggestion.

MargJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your local clinic or yr diabetic nurse will supply yr meter and yr doctor will supply the strips you need to test I'm a driver so it's complusery for me to
Both of them said no, they did not supply meters to type 2s only type 1

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Both of them said no, they did not supply meters to type 2s only type 1

It's a "post code" budget thing I'm afraid.. My dad was T2. issued with a meter as well as generously prescribed lancets & strips.
Lol. It wouldn't have even occurred to him to ask for one. But the D nurse handed it over anyway..!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@CatLadyNZ @mikej1973

Can we get back on topic and not derail the thread further, if you wish to continue your discussion then do so using the pm facility.

Reactions: 6 people

frenchlady

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It will not make a difference if you are having your HbA1c done, if you eat something high in carbs on the day of the test. "By measuring glycated haemoglobin (HbA1c), clinicians are able to get an overall picture of what our average blood sugar levels have been over a period of weeks/months." Also, for those who want to test themselves, there are numerous meters offered free.(even on this site) You may need to pay for the testing strips but I am sure that if you put your case over well, e.g. you want to monitor your progress, you feel that you need to be in control of your own disease and hopefully keep your bg levels down to an acceptable level. If your doctor still refuses to prescribe you with the strips, then ask to speak with the Practice Manager. What does your consultant recommend? Perhaps, your diabetes nurse could intervene and have a word with your doctor? However, it has always been the case that type 2s need not test so often. If you stick to a low carb diet and are losing the extra weight, then you know that you are heading in the right direction. I think the professionals are concerned that type 2 diabetics may become over=worried about their readings. It can become an obsession and as I said, it could make the person involved over anxious without real reason. Cut down the carbs and exercise more and your bg levels will go down, whether you are recording it or not!! . .

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... Do I ignore this and buy the equipment myself?

I didn't even bother to ask my GP for a monitor. I'm not on any medication, so I just knew I'd be told they'd not issue me with one. I'm on a low income, but I thought it would be worth it, and followed advice given here about how to choose one and what test strips would cost. And if anything, I'm glad I didn't even ask - though longer term I feel I could argue for it. This has been a great step in me taking control of my management of my T2.

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
These were the words used by my doctor yesterday. I was diagnosed as type2 in March and had a whole lot of tests. Since then I have been sent for 2 blood tests but only found out last week that neither of these included HbA1c test. So I have been asked to change my diet etc radically but they haven't checked my blood sugar since. In shock, I asked for a monitor so I could check my own level. That was the response. Do I ignore this and buy the equipment myself?

Can we please all get back to answering the OP's question on purchasing a bg meter.

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi . I think this is really sad that you have to go out and buy a meter . When one should be given to you as you do need to test . I live in Dorset and iv been given a meter and test strips on the nhs . If you do need to buy a meter . There are a lot for sale on eBay at very low prices . . Hope you can get it all sorted out
Clive

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
most meters can be had, free, from the manufacturers:), the notable exception is the codefree, which if you self fund, has the advantage of cheap strips!