Pump and cgm

Flossy11

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter has been diagnosed T1 little over a week ago. After the shock had settled we gave started looking at other options to deliver insulin etc. She is carb counting and taking shots before every meal and long lasting one st night. I have googled! And seen that there are other ways to manage but it appears very confusing. Our doctor has mentioned a pump, but we are not sure whether to push forward with this as nothing more gas been done. She is finding the finger pricking the worst at the moment so we would like to investigate the CGM route. Does anyone use both CGM and pump? Can you recommend any? Is there a preferred make that the NHS will support?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
My daughter has been diagnosed T1 little over a week ago. After the shock had settled we gave started looking at other options to deliver insulin etc. She is carb counting and taking shots before every meal and long lasting one st night. I have googled! And seen that there are other ways to manage but it appears very confusing. Our doctor has mentioned a pump, but we are not sure whether to push forward with this as nothing more gas been done. She is finding the finger pricking the worst at the moment so we would like to investigate the CGM route. Does anyone use both CGM and pump? Can you recommend any? Is there a preferred make that the NHS will support?
Apparently with a CGM you still need to finger prick a few times a day, to calibrate the device :(

Is she using the lancet pen on its lowest setting, and using the sides of her fingers rather than the pad of the fingertip? It's possible to re-use the lancets and if doing that, a fresh one is sharper and less painful.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Flossy11 unless there are extenuating circumstances, the NHS typically will not fund CGM. There needs to be evidence of lack of Hypo awareness and a number of other issues for them to consider it as they haven't got the evidence to show the cost benefits pay off. The group T1-CGM on facebook is full of information on the topic and is worth a visit.

Some of the pumps include CGM capabilities, but they mostly have to be self funded. You should push for a pump for your daughter though, especially if she only requires small doses of insulin. Pumps are very dependent on your local hospitals diabetic set-up. The clinic will typically support a few pumps out of the range that is available, so you will need to discuss with them what they can offer. Once you know that, the pumpers on here will be able to provide a lot of help on pump choice.

Those with integrated CGM are the Animas Vibe and the Medtronic 640G, both of which have many happy punters on here. @iHs uses a Vibe and @CarbsRok too I believe. @candi-girl and @Flowerpot have experience of the 640G.

For costs of CGM privately, have a look here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cgm-fgm-price-comparison.75106/

Reactions: 5 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thanks @tim2000s
Hi Flossy, as Tim states I use a pump and cgm (animas vibe) As Tim states with a cgm you still have to finger poke for calibration and also before any decision is made regarding bolus or correction. Yes pumps and CGM are fantastic but there is a lot of work involved with a pump as it only does what you tell it, nothing is automatic. The pump and CGM together do give a fantastic quality of life though and so wish as a child they had been invented for my use then.

Finger poking though I think is everyone's bugbear to make things easier make sure hands are warm dry and clean and poke at the side of the finger and not on the pad as this is the most sensitive part.

There's loads of info about pumps and cgm's here http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/ hope it's of some help to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @tim2000s

Hi @Flossy11

I use the Medtronic 640g and cgm and have used both for 5 years. It is a fantastic way to control diabetes but does require quite a bit of managing and doesn't remove the need for multiple fingerstick tests per day to calibrate the cgm -which measures interstitial glucose not blood glucose- and also to make any insulin dose decisions.

Definitely discuss the possibility of using a pump with the consultant, a pump on its own is a fantastic bit of kit which can give great flexibility in terms of insulin delivery rates for exercise, illness, unexpected events etc. If you are offered a choice then do consider which pumps have integrated cgm capability as even if it is something you decide against at present, a pump usually has a life of 4 years.

I wish you and your daughter well :)

Reactions: 4 people