New to this

ronburnett

Hi my name's Ron I was diagnosed with type 2 3 days before easter this year being a chocoholic this was not the best news
However my wife polished off the Easter Eggs so no harm there. I need some advice I get confused about starch ie rice and things is starch as bad for diabetics as sugar
I have good control had a few blimps my last hba1c was 6.1 I am using diet which seems to be working but trying to find out good and bad food is difficult
I also have to control my cholesterol which again I do with diet so any help on food choices would be helpful

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Simple chemistry
Glucose is a simple sugar. Starch is a polymer of glucose, which is quickly broken down to its constituent monomers by digestion.
So to answer your question
If you eat 100g starch, it will rapidly become 100g glucose On diet control, that could be hard to handle
Hana

Sweet3x

ronburnett said:
Hi my name's Ron I was diagnosed with type 2 3 days before easter this year being a chocoholic this was not the best news
However my wife polished off the Easter Eggs so no harm there. I need some advice I get confused about starch ie rice and things is starch as bad for diabetics as sugar
I have good control had a few blimps my last hba1c was 6.1 I am using diet which seems to be working but trying to find out good and bad food is difficult
I also have to control my cholesterol which again I do with diet so any help on food choices would be helpful

Starch isn't as bad for diabetics as sugar, no. But you do have to watch how much you eat. I'm T1, and can counter balance it with insulin. As T2 on a diet, I believe that you have to keep your carbs (in any form, sugar/starch) to a minimum. As far as I understand it, avocado and most green leafy vegs is ok, broccoli is good for you. If you are trying to lose weight, too, you have to avoid things like Cheese and nuts? I'm not 100% on that, though. I'm sure someone will correct me quickly enough if what I'm saying is a lot of tosh :) If not, though, nuts are a great filler, if you are peckish between meals :) Macadamia nuts are fantastic :)

salsasue

Hi Ron and welcome to the forum! :D :D

I was diagnosed with type 2 3 days before easter this year being a chocoholic this was not the best news]

Ooh, bummer! :( My name is Sue and was diagnosed beginning of May but having been a chocoholic myself I can totally relate specially, before Easter, eek! :(

I hope to be able to offer inspiration and a certain 'light at the end of the tunnel' even if only on a small scale, maybe?! This all depends on your thought processes, how you deal with diabetes and the control of the condition, but having lost over 2 and a half stone and managing reasonably well so far as I have done; within an otherwise and general healthy diet plus some kind of daily form of exercise, there is no reason why you should not have a once weekly 'treat' of a small chocolate bar, low fat choc mousse. In fact, it may prove better to have a little something now and then so you don't feel 'deprived' and give up rather than go the whole 100% healthy eating route and then end up maybe quitting sometime down the road, see what I mean?

I may be acting as 'devil's advocate' here ( :evil: ) but I truly wish you well and please feel free to check out around the site/forum for ideas, thoughts, recipe ideas, all very welcome and friendly lot here, so glad I joined up! :)

best wishes, Sue

broxiebear1

hi ron
i was diagnosed 3months ago on diet only i dont need to lose any weight ,anyway i just want to tell you what happend to me on satuarday i was our shopping and was just finnished when i felt dizzy my wife asked if i was ok and i said yea just need a drink so hadd a sip of diet lemonade went home tested my blood and i was 5.8 i am usually in the 7s to 10s ; had mixed grill yea chips lol went up to 9 later i had a cream cake and since i have been diagnosed i had cut out sugar cakes etc but i was tempted well upshot sugar to 13 .SO NO MORE CAKES i am determined to do this without med
my only vice is the cigs and a drink no and then
robert.

wallycorker

Hi Ron,

I'm a Type 2 myself nine years on from diagnosis and without any complications that I'm aware of.

You seem to be doing OK so far. Keep it up because it's worth the effort to steer clear of diabetic complications.

Are you testing?

Best Wishes - John

ronburnett

Thanks for all the useful advice I only need to test once a week now in the morning and after the main meal
My last Hba1c was 6.1 so the Doctor has said I do not need another for 6 months
I am averaging between low 6s and low 7s have had a few blips but that was been down to some fish and chips and chinsese meals
I don't need to lose weight but its slowly dropping only problem with that is my cloths becoming loose
I have not eaten any chocolate since the diagnosis which I'm quite pleased about as my wife makes wedding cakes for there is alway chocolate in one form or another in the house
The down side of no sugar is I no longer get to sample my wife's cakes
The upside is that my wife is busy finding recipes for sugarfree alternatives she made me so teacakes which were delicious not sure what she used instead of sugar
I've had a retinal photo taken and also my feet checked by the nurse (that was really strange having someone first stroke your foot with a metal stick and then a feather) and I'm down for a flu jab there seems to be a lot of support provided by my Doctors
I have heard a lot about GI does anyone know a good guide to this and is it worth checking for it on label

wallycorker

ronburnett said:
..................The upside is that my wife is busy finding recipes for sugarfree alternatives she made me so teacakes which were delicious not sure what she used instead of sugar.....................
Possibly a new business opportunity? Catering for diabetic weddings - or diabetics attending weddings or other functions? :)