NHS Spending per patient

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I wonder if anyone can help me on this?

I know that somewhere there is a figure of how much the NHS allows per patient for an illness such as diabetes or cancer etc per year to supposedly be allocated...can anybody shed any light on where I can find info on this? Someone has told me its about £34000 per patient? I haven't got a clue where to find info on this. I know there is a formula to work out the quality of life patients should be expected to get dependent upon illnesses but didn't know the is an "allocated" amount of costs allocated to each patient.. Is this true??

This is different to how much GPs get paid per patient per year etc..not the Carr-Formula.

Any help appreciated...

T2 Med free

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm saving my doctor a lot of money after 11 years I control my diabetes my diet only but I will ask around and see if I can get some information for you or you can have my allowance!

G

graj0

. . . . .but didn't know the is an "allocated" amount of costs allocated to each patient.. Is this true??

I'm hoping there isn't. A Daily Mail figure is it? What would happen when a patient reached that limit? Can I give the share I'm not using to a friend or relative?

If the mirror can be believed "In Cornwall, five patients spent £267,000 between them on their personal health budgets", so that's over £50k each, bit more than the figure you mention.
"In Horsham, Crawley and coastal West Sussex, £2.6million was spent on care packages for 44 people, the highest per patient of any of the CCGs". That's £60k a patient, even more than the figure you mentioned.

There's something about prescription budgets here: http://bma.org.uk/practical-support...p-practice/the-gp-practice-prescribing-budget. There isn't a figure because it looks as though it will differ on a number of factors. The two examples I mentioned earlier would indicate that there might be guidelines but there will be exceptions.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I know about PHB.. Totally different.. I'll have to look in to this...just that I had a figure quoted to me last night and I don't know how this figure was gained....probably was a daily wail figure...

G

graj0

My GP once told me that she is always concerned when a patient comes in with a newspaper under their arm because she knows that they are going to quote the newspaper as if it were a reliable source of information.
It would be interesting to know where the figure came from, just to establish whether it's worth taking notice of or not.

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

These two articles are relative @donnellysdogs

http://www.hscic.gov.uk/catalogue/PUB16847

http://bma.org.uk/practical-support...ntract-2015-2016-england/gp-contract-payments

I doubt there would be a maximum figure for dealing with a chronic condition as people vary as to how much input they need from their G.P. If we are only talking about diabetes, then a poorly controlled diabetic is going to cost more than one who manages successfully. Equally both the well controlled and poorly controlled may have other conditions which will require funding or it may only be the well controlled who has other conditions.
I think it is too complex to put a figure on.

Last edited:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It is actually relating to a friend that has had neck cancer two years ago. He can't get NHS treatment for his mouth or teeth..and yet on low income. I was wondering whether it was because of the cost of his cancer treatment going over £xx amount and exceeding a budget for his expected quality of life..? So not diabetic related.. Just trying to find out as all of us too may have a budget "allocated" and may also be likely to have a cancer of some description in the fiuture.
I've just recently had 3 biopsies and 11 samples taken and getting results tomorrow so am also aware of costs etc to NHS from all of this...

Thanks for the reading material.. Going to have a look now...
X

tomfalc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Surely this is going to be an average amount they'll spend on diabetic care per patient, not an allocation. Your treatment is based on clinical need.