Safe fruit

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think body needs energy when you exercise and hence release glucose and hence higher bg's but it should be better if you test about an hour or two later.

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that I can eat a fairly wide selection of fruit in very small quantities, but eat mainly berries. And I eat them with yoghurt or cream.

In general tropical fruits are more sugary than those from cooler (European) countries, and dried fruits will be very high sugar, so choose carefully! But the only way to find which fruits are OK for you, is to do as already suggested, and test for them.

Robbity
PS
And I find too that exercise, even getting up and pottering before breakfast, can often cause liver dumps and a raise in glucose levels...

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think body needs energy when you exercise and hence release glucose and hence higher bg's but it should be better if you test about an hour or two later.

To be fair...when I say exercise...I'm not really meaning a full on session in the gym or anything like that...more of a hurried 20 minute stroll to and from work...or a bit of a ramble over the fields with the dog. I find it strange that I can leave the house in the morning on a normal number of maybe 5-7 and when I arrive at work after my stroll I can sometimes be as high as 10-11.

Reactions: 2 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I may swipe a few grapes or cherries from husband's fruits bowl, but I don't eat actual bowls of fruit now, even with cream.

Any vitamins that you get from fruit, you can get from vegetables. Bell peppers, chives, chillies, parsley, spinach and kale are all high in Vitamin C, for example.

robbo5662

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
testing bs
I think safe fruits would be tomatoes, avocados and please do not reply with they are veggies ta

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
Blueberries work for me? x

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think safe fruits would be tomatoes, avocados and please do not reply with they are veggies ta
:p:p

But you can't really eat those with a nice dollop of thick fresh cream for your pud - now can you! But perhaps I tell a lie:wideyed::wideyed:, as there is a recipe floating around on the web for a chocolate avacado concoction.

Robbity

Cathn61may

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who think they know it all
Unripened fruit. Lower sugar in these, they don't taste too bad. I have been eating these for years. Strawberries with artificial sweetener. Add fruit to sugar free jelly. Ripe fruit high sugar, good if your sugar is low. A ripe banana does the trick.

collette17

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am newly diagnosed with type 2 I'm on medication and just trying everything I am a little overweight as well which doesn't help the matter but all of the comments above have made good reading and have also learned me that I can still have most foods but within moderation thankyou everyone xx

kakoullou2013

I was recentlly told by my doctor as being prediabetic - hbaic 6.1 and so I cut down all white sugar, most carbohydrate foods and started eating butter, lots of chicken meat, all types of fresh fruit and also eating almonds, walnuts and brazil nute mothers. I am doing a lot of research online about diabetes as my late mother was diabetic, and have found out that Vitamin D is so important and a lack of it can contribute to diabetes. My blood glucose within a week has gone down to normal and I shall continue on this diet. Remember:
Lots of nuts
Fruit especially avocados, apples, bananas
Chicken and some red meat
Butter
Cut down on carbohydrates and eat NUTS instead

Dina

Reactions: 6 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys can anyone suggest a fruit that won't send my blood sugar through the roof
I don't think anyone here can say what fruit will not raise your BG only you will know that by testing if you do it. I tend to eat whatever I fancy which is probably nectarines, kiwis, berries, even those small individual pots of fruit sometimes if I don't have anything else if they are in juice not syrup but always with greek yogurt as my dessert after my main meal

Last edited by a moderator:

ukwombat

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I was worried about fruit so I asked my diabetes nurse and she said any fruit is ok if you only have a portion that fills your hand or one of for apples, oranges, bananas and such and to eat them in moderation - not have a fruit feast.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I was worried about fruit so I asked my diabetes nurse and she said any fruit is ok if you only have a portion that fills your hand or one of for apples, oranges, bananas and such and to eat them in moderation - not have a fruit feast.

Same old Nurse advice..... Best way for you to check which fruit is acceptable is to check your blood afterwards....you'll be surprised....

Reactions: 3 people

silky1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think blueberries are pretty much the only fruit that has little or no effect on my BG...most of the time.

That's interesting, because, despite being (IMHO) one of the blandest fruits I've ever tried - I was surprised to discover they have one of the highest sugar levels of the berry fruits - only going to prove that what works for one, won't for another.

I've played around with various fruits - apple is out because I have problems with my teeth unless it is chopped within an inch of its life.

I don't appear to suffer any spikes or ill effects from Strawberries, red grapes and blackberries - and - as it is nearing the season to be jolly - a large portion of my dietary intake atm is tangerines.

I'm eating one (or more) virtually every time I'm near the kitchen; my blood sugars since I started eating them 10 days ago have been between 4.9 and 5.6 except one which was (8.8) after a big meal. I'm on 1,000mg of Metformin in two x 500mg doses.

I know a lot of people have mixed views on the pros and cons of fruit at Weight-Watchers I've been told by two different diabetics that fruit is the "spawn of Satan" - the other eats what sounds like half a ton of it every night - the latter one had lost 60lb to date.

One day I'd been busy working and not had chance to eat - normally I'd have been picking fruit each time I went near the kitchen - but it was food clearance day, my OH left me fruitless. I should have checked my BG, but suddenly everything pointed towards it having gone through the floor, shaky, cold, clammy - I grabbed a small can of Lucozade - it did the trick but I'm delighted to say I didn't finish it and felt quite sick after.

It may be sheer coincidence - but tangerines seem to work for me (and I love them) - shame they are a fruit only truly edible for a relatively small part of the year.

Not only do they seem to keep my BG stable - they also stop any major drops

Despite all the above, I would say this is something people have to work out for themselves with regular testing when introducing something new to their diet because everyone is so different - I've always found most fruits a good blood sugar leveller - unlike Glucose which yes will stop it crashing through the floor but also makes you rather "fidgety" afterwards

norfolkboy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Idiots.
This is quite a handy table of fructose content in fruits - you can change the sorting options based on the various columns (fruit, size, grams of fructose):
http://familywellnesshq.com/fructose-in-fruits-veggies-nuts-seeds-legumes-grains/
Oh dear.Having read this, I am going to have to rethink my fruit intake.
I work a 6 on, 4 off pattern, 2 mornings, 2 afternoons and 2 nights.
I take fruit to work everyday, honeydew melon, strawberries and grapes, and eat main meals at home.
I figured fruit would help with the weight loss.
Type 2 , diagnosed 3 weeks ago.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It really pays to have a meter with fruit because our BG reaction varies to it so much.