One Touch Verio Meter : GP refusal

TinaOX29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Up to some time last year I had been using the One Touch Verio meter, but my GP sent me out a Nexus meter - with the explanation that he would not prescribe testing strips for the One Touch Verio meter anymore as they were too expensive.

I got on okay with the Nexus meter, but then out of the blue last month I was contacted by the makers of One Touch Verio to say that they were sending me the newest meter. I explained the predicament and suggested perhaps it was a waste of time sending me the new meter. I was told that from May 2016 GPs are not allowed to dictate which meter we use and that I would be sent the new meter (which has been received) and I could instruct the GP to give me the strips for the meter I want. In view of the hype in the media over the expense to the NHS of diabetes I don't know what to believe.

What is going on ? I did like the One Touch as this gave more information on readings and a thread of either highs or lows. I felt more in control. If I can go back to that meter I would like to. Does anyone out there know the truth of the matter? Its making my head hurt and I feel I'm being messed about.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
What is going on ? I did like the One Touch as this gave more information on readings and a thread of either highs or lows. I felt more in control. If I can go back to that meter I would like to. Does anyone out there know the truth of the matter? Its making my head hurt and I feel I'm being messed about.
If you felt in control with the original meter then tell your GP so and request your test strips are reinstated.

Do you have a DSN? If so contact her and explain how you feel and see if she will help.

TinaOX29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you felt in control with the original meter then tell your GP so and request your test strips are reinstated.

Do you have a DSN? If so contact her and explain how you feel and see if she will help.

I did this back when I was given the Nexus - but my GP was adamant and refused. Said it was the new "rule" and I was stuck with it. I was taking part in a trial at the time with the hospital and asked the DSN there to help - but she said that the Nexus was okay to use and if that's what my GP said....... basically I was stuck with it. I got used to it, as I said, but I just wanted to know if there was a new rule coming out from May 2016 that I can choose - or was the guy at One Touch Verio feeding me a line ?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I did this back when I was given the Nexus - but my GP was adamant and refused. Said it was the new "rule" and I was stuck with it. I was taking part in a trial at the time with the hospital and asked the DSN there to help - but she said that the Nexus was okay to use and if that's what my GP said....... basically I was stuck with it. I got used to it, as I said, but I just wanted to know if there was a new rule coming out from May 2016 that I can choose - or was the guy at One Touch Verio feeding me a line ?
Well it an awful waste of money sending you a meter that can't be used and if this rule comes in next May then he has sure sent it out well in advance.

Perhaps give diabetes UK a ring and ask them if they know.

bilb_baggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
my doctor has not stated what meter to use I feel for you if you are having this problem I have just changed to the verio meter