Gp trying to change my glucose meter!

Pinkjessi21_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well I saw my GP and explained that I didn't want to change and gave my reasons, and he was fine with it. Relieved! I appreciate that the strips cost the nhs money, however I work and pay taxes and its not my fault that i've got diabetes. I've only had it for a few months so still testing a fair amount but with an accurate meter I have good control which should help to prevent long term conditions which would cost the nhs more. Very glad that my gp understands.

Reactions: 7 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
glad you got it sorted

wilbo1948

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
When I am out walking and without anywhere to sit down to fiddle about with test strips, the Accu-chek Mobile is very convenient in this situation. My GP agrees with me.
I was actually issued with an accu-chek mobile by my DN and it was superb - so easy to use , especially when shaking mid-hypo , but getting the strips/cassettes was an ordeal and a half . My GP then told me the health authority were "standardising" on a glucomen - I guess because the strips are such a lot cheaper . Results are considerably different , and strips are shiny and fiddley and difficult to get out of the tub . I'm also disabled so need to drive everywhere in my motability car , but strips are still restricted to a maximum of 100 per month - that's 3 a day - which restricts my driving let alone normal testing . I've been diabetic for 37 years and always used to be able to tell when I was getting "hypo" , but I'm becoming rather unpredictable though unable to test as often as I'd like . I've complained to the health authority but apparently , so long as they are providing me with a meter , no matter how substandard , and providing me with strips , no matter how restricted and inadequate the supply may be , there's nothing I can do . Has the outlook ever lokked so bleak ???

D

Deleted Account

I am T1 and, luckily (I think), my local healthcare team are very flexible about meters and strips.
This is important to me because everyone has different requirements. For me the important features are accuracy, size (I don't want to carry around a huge case - I never had a handbag until I had diabetes) and a back light so I can test when I wake in the night without waking my partner. Others want a bigger meter with bigger numbers so they do not have to put their glasses on to read it. Then there are the meters which tell you how much insulin to take (I tried one of these and it drive me crazy when it was only doing the calculations I can do in my head without pressing multiple buttons).
I recently had to change my meter because they stopped making strips for my old faithful. Initially, it was frustrating as the manufacturers no longer had a meter which matched my criteria but, once I spoke to my DSN, we found something smaller, more accurate AND with a better pricker.
I would recommend researching what features are available, working out what is important to you and talking to your DSN about what the options she has (which may be based on budget).

TinaOX29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A number of CCGS (clinical commissioning groups) already have, and are in the process of 'rolling out' changes.

The GlucoRX Nexus has been 'chosen" as the preferred supplier by the majority of CCGS.

Below is a thorough study Manchester CCG carried out earlier this year, comparing accuracy, cost etc.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://gmmmg.nhs.uk/docs/guidance/150508%20NWCSU%20Blood%20Glucose%20Testing%20Strip%20Evaluation%20May%202015%20v2-0.pdf&ved=0CBsQFjAAahUKEwiV172tjqHIAhXF7RQKHc4YBC4&usg=AFQjCNGzjrqwWt1Wp7jxLhVOqvPOYcHu1A
I was given the GlucoRX Nexus. I had the One Touch Verio before, and I can see the difference is cost is £5.17 a pack. I can see the need - but just recently I have received a call from the manufacturers of One Touch Verio saying I was getting the new IQ version. I explained the Nexus problem and the GP - but they said that from May 2016 GPs are not allowed to dictate and we can choose. I've not heard this from anywhere else and am a bit sceptical. Anyone know ?

Neemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was given the GlucoRX Nexus. I had the One Touch Verio before, and I can see the difference is cost is £5.17 a pack. I can see the need - but just recently I have received a call from the manufacturers of One Touch Verio saying I was getting the new IQ version. I explained the Nexus problem and the GP - but they said that from May 2016 GPs are not allowed to dictate and we can choose. I've not heard this from anywhere else and am a bit sceptical. Anyone know ?

The implementation period deadline for ensuring meters adhere to the latest ISO Standards, is May 2016. After this date, all BGM meters must meet the new accuracy standards.

The majority of CCGs have 'chosen' their preferred suppliers, and will GPs will be rolling out changes in the coming months?year.

As an example, refer to this attachment for Greater Huddersfield CCG.

There are some exemptions, e.g. Children, high risk patients, dexterity issue patients etc. But the majority of patients will be switched to the GlucoRX (some CCGS have a different preferred supplier, but from what I've seen the GlucoRX is the primary choice for cost effectiveness vs accuracy)

BTW, I use the GlucoRX myself, it is a pretty decent/accurate meter.

Refer to the ISO 2013 standards to look at the accuracy criteria; GlucoRx has 'indepently' verified adherence to the latest 2013 criteria ('fairly' reassuring...)

Neemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was actually issued with an accu-chek mobile by my DN and it was superb - so easy to use , especially when shaking mid-hypo , but getting the strips/cassettes was an ordeal and a half . My GP then told me the health authority were "standardising" on a glucomen - I guess because the strips are such a lot cheaper . Results are considerably different , and strips are shiny and fiddley and difficult to get out of the tub . I'm also disabled so need to drive everywhere in my motability car , but strips are still restricted to a maximum of 100 per month - that's 3 a day - which restricts my driving let alone normal testing . I've been diabetic for 37 years and always used to be able to tell when I was getting "hypo" , but I'm becoming rather unpredictable though unable to test as often as I'd like . I've complained to the health authority but apparently , so long as they are providing me with a meter , no matter how substandard , and providing me with strips , no matter how restricted and inadequate the supply may be , there's nothing I can do . Has the outlook ever lokked so bleak ???

Hi @wilbo1948,

Your situation is unacceptable. I would strongly advise you not to capitulate, as you have legitimate requirement for an appropriate number of test strips.

This letter will help. It is a letter from the national clinical director of diabetes, chief pharmaceutical officers - it was disseminated to all Diabetes related HCP in 2013.
It emphasises/reiterates the critical importance of NOT restricting test strips for Diabetics (Emphasis on Insulin Dependent)

Don't stand for it, if I was restricted to 3 test strips a day, it would adversely affect my life.

Reactions: 2 people

Book_woorm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My surgery also tried changing my meter for one with cheaper test strips but I said NO!
I work out on Dartmoor and the last thing I need is to be fiddling around with three separate things (meter/test strip/lancet) when it is raining horizontally and I might just be having a hypo especially when I don't get any of the classic symptoms until my BG is down to 3.0 or below and I start falling over.

Not sure where the Gmmmg report got its data from on cost of test strips: but if you can buy AccuChek mobile cassettes on Ebay for £20/100 post free, ( that's 'buy it now' so presumably the seller is making a contribution to his business) and the NHS in Salford is paying £16/50 there has to be something wrong with the way the NHS is buying things. In industry if a buyer spends 160% of the cheapest he can get something for he usually gets the sack.

wilbo1948

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Neemo for that copy letter . It was most interesting . I actually saw my GP today who said it was health board policy to use this glucomen machine as a standard across the board provision . She did however , say I could have more strips to accommodate my driving , though I felt a little uneasy about this because she didn't actually give me a further prescription or alter my renewal form . I shall keep trying . If only I could afford it , I'd be on eBay like a shot !!! She was helpful though , when I said it was difficult to get the strips out of the pot if I was shaking in the middle of a hypo . Apparently the trick is to tip them all out , then i should be able to select one easily . . . . . . . . . . .

pmailkeey

when I said it was difficult to get the strips out of the pot if I was shaking in the middle of a hypo . Apparently the trick is to tip them all out , then i should be able to select one easily . . . . . . . . . . .

If you're shaking, surely you don't need to test!

If anyone needs a quick hypo fix - has anyone tried sniffing caster sugar out of a pepper pot/shaker thing ? Other than by injection, it'd be the quickest way to get sugar into your blood.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I have also found using the Acc-chec mobile is so convenient when out and about and especially when on holiday this year, I would hate to have to go back to using strips again surely this would be a backward step and why will the designers for new technology bother if we cant afford to use their equipment , Scary don't you think?