Fatigue

Emilyprice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I have been type 1 diabetic for years, but in the last year I'm getting ridiculously fatigued and it comes on very suddenly and I just have to lie down. I've spoken with my diabetic team and he says it's not down to my diabetes or my autonomic nerve damage. Trouble is, they're not very forthcoming with what to do next. I'll visit my gp but I've had various problems in the last 2 years including adrenal insufficiency (which resolved 4/5 months after pregnancy) and they've historically been useless when it comes to diagnosing me with anything. My endo was the guy who spotted it and tested me, but he doesn't seem interested in my fatigue. It's getting me quite down.

Does anyone know the general things we get tested for when we have our bloods done? I know thyroid is one that's tested for, but interested if it could be low potassium, b12 or anything else that I'm lacking in. I'd love a complete check of everything, even if it's privately as I know there's something not right.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
definitely don't want to sidetrack your thread but what are your BG's like and how is your A1c
if your bloods are running high ( above 9 regularly ) this could account for the fatigue

if your A1c is above 8% this also could account for the fatigue.

also what is your BP like -- if on the low side could that be adding to fatigue ?

the other thought is possibly ME related -- that can be a difficult diagnosis to get to from friends I know that have this.

Reactions: 2 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Hi @Emilyprice I get horrendous fatigue, have pin pointed it down to two main causes. Always when my blood sugars are high (am type 3c so brittle control) but also because I have pernicious anaemia! Both B12 and vit D defiency can cause symptoms of tiredness through to gross fatigue and I believe both defiencies are fairly common in diabetes. Can't you get your GP to test you?!! Sue xxx

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Ask for b12 & folate; D3 as well. Theres also iron.

Emilyprice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi himtoo, My BGs are quite good, last one was 7.2, but I do swing up and down a bit still. I'm going on a dafne course soon and would like to reduce my carbs so will be interesting to see if that helps. My bloop pressure was really low, I was taking fludrocortisone for it as it was postural hypotension, but that improved early this year (not sure why) and although I do get days where I feel that it is low, I not think its the cause of the fatigue. Thank you, I will look at ME on the web too

Emilyprice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been taking an iron and vit d tablet, but I doubt that would suffice if I am deficient in it would it? I'll ask to be tested for those things, I hope he listens. Hadn't heard of D3 and folate..thank you

M

mrspuddleduck

I've been taking an iron and vit d tablet, but I doubt that would suffice if I am deficient in it would it? I'll ask to be tested for those things, I hope he listens. Hadn't heard of D3 and folate..thank you

If you are defiency a 'normal' supplement possibly won't be enough (obviously depending on how deficient you are!). I would politely tell him you want the tests rather than ask!!!! If he says no, ask him to explain why he is reluctant! Sue xx

Emilyprice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you sue.. I will be assertive! Himtoo, I have also just been on the action for ME site and have most of the symptoms on the list, so gave printed off to take to the docs too.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
just want to say big hugs [[[[hugs]]]] and hope you get sorted out soon

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi Emily, I have battled with fatigue for at least 20 years. Originally the doctors said I had ME, then it was chronic fatigue syndrome, now it's fibromyalgia. All 3 diagnoses are very similar, and they are arrived at by ruling out other things. Some doctors and a good portion of the public do not understand these conditions and may wrongly think they are not real. Just giving you a heads up. The tests I recommend for people with fatigue are iron, thyroid, vitamins B12 and D, and folate. I get my levels of these tested regularly. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Reactions: 4 people

Emilyprice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi catlady, thank you for your advice. I can sympathise as I already think my doctor doesn't take my symptoms very seriously and sometimes I think they assume it can't be that bad as I still work. The most frustrating thing is being told having a child is tiring, It's just not the same as being tired! How have you been treated for your diagnosis'? Has anything helped improve the fatigue?

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Emilyprice Your thyroid test, was that TSH? If so, ask if you can have the actual thyroid hormones FT4 and FT3 tested too.

TSH is the most common test but isn't all that reliabley, partly because the "normal" range is extremely wide. If you TSH is above 2 you may actually have a thyroid problem. Then TSH is a pituitary hormone, not a thyroid hormone. If your pituitary isn't producing enough TSH your thyroid hormones will be low while TSH is normal.Tricky things, thyroids.

Emilyprice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi totto, I'm not sure! I don't ever see the results (I must ask for a copy) they just tell me whether things are ok. Funny you mention the piturity, it swelled during pregnancy and this is what caused my adrenal insufficiency although that has now gone, I wonder if it is working as it was. Thank you -lots to question my docs with, which is fab

Reactions: 5 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Ask the doctor for a print out if your results, tell him you like to keep a record to help you monitor your own progress. You are entitled to them! Sue xx

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi catlady, thank you for your advice. I can sympathise as I already think my doctor doesn't take my symptoms very seriously and sometimes I think they assume it can't be that bad as I still work. The most frustrating thing is being told having a child is tiring, It's just not the same as being tired! How have you been treated for your diagnosis'? Has anything helped improve the fatigue?
Many people with chronic fatigue-related symptoms are able to work, and they deserve praise for it! The same goes for having children, because while parenting is hard work for anyone, it's even harder for people with health issues that make them more tired.

The thing that helps me the most is pacing myself, ie prioritising what I need to do each day and budgeting my time so I get things done before I run out of steam. I take meds to help me get good quality sleep (amitriptyline low dose) and I take an anti-depressant (efexor). All my doctors factor in fibromyalgia when they are recommending meds for other things too. I find if I don't get enough sleep or it's poor quality then I feel worse the next day. Eating LCHF has helped a lot too. Eating too many carbs made me feel sluggish. Cymbalta and Lyrica can help with fibromyalgia in some people, but I would have to fund it myself and I don't want to risk the side effect of weight gain.

Hopefully your fatigue will turn out to be caused by something that is treatable, like thyroid issues, or it may just go away of its own accord. If you end up with a diagnosis of something ongoing, stay positive because there is so much we can do by way of self-management, and there is always research being done looking for new treatments.

Emilyprice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do think my diet needs improving and have started eating low carb as of today! Hopefully that will make a difference. I would like to find out, either way as like you say, then I can look at ways to help myself and I can research like mad would love to pin point it that's for sure. X

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi Emily, I have battled with fatigue for at least 20 years. Originally the doctors said I had ME, then it was chronic fatigue syndrome, now it's fibromyalgia. All 3 diagnoses are very similar, and they are arrived at by ruling out other things. Some doctors and a good portion of the public do not understand these conditions and may wrongly think they are not real. Just giving you a heads up. The tests I recommend for people with fatigue are iron, thyroid, vitamins B12 and D, and folate. I get my levels of these tested regularly. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Exacy the same as me!!

In fact, I was first patient to view all my blood tests and appts and medical history on line a couple days ago from my GP ractice. It was interesting to note things in my history of diagnosis as a child even that I was not aaare of.... Even peenicius anaemia was diagnosed pre 1975 but I was never aware of this until 2005 when they started injections.. Then stooped them within 24 months. All the above and more suggested at some point.....

None correct... Alldown to intolerance of aspartame, sweeteners and preservatives..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ask the doctor for a print out if your results, tell him you like to keep a record to help you monitor your own progress. You are entitled to them! Sue xx

All GPs by Apr 2016 in England are supposedly having to give full online access to your blood test results,and aummaries of appointmentS, medical history etc.

I was the the 1st patient to get online viewing of these details from my Practice this week. Its brilliant.

As soon as they are done you can view them. Absolutely wicked.no more phone calls or print outs from receptionists. All there at touch of finger tips at any time of day...

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All GPs by Apr 2016 in England are supposedly having to give full online access to your blood test results,and aummaries of appointmentS, medical history etc.

I was the the 1st patient to get online viewing of these details from my Practice this week. Its brilliant.

As soon as they are done you can view them. Absolutely wicked.no more phone calls or print outs from receptionists. All there at touch of finger tips at any time of day...
I think this is great, but I'm sure there will be a lot of unnecessary anxiety from people who can't get hold of their HCPs to explain things accurately. In NZ we are allowed to see our records and results but the health provider has a duty to make a HCP (usually a nurse) available to answer any questions. I predict we will get a lot of people asking stuff on the forum and all we will be able to say is contact your HCP... which will take days or weeks in some cases. :(