flu jab

numan43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone had any blood sugar problems after a flu jab? My readings have been higher than my norm over past few days and getting the jab on tuesday is the only unusual thing thats happened to me this week

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Mine were slightly higher the next day, but have now settled down.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I haven't noticed any change but that's because I haven't been testing at that time. Next time I will have a look at my levels.

On paper, it would seem logical that a vaccination would affect BGs (temporarily) because the body is mounting a mini immune response similar to an infection. Still worth it to vaccinate of course.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had mine yesterday and my highest levels were likely due to some stress about visiting Nursey for foot check and jab, and walking down to surgery and back. I tested 1 hour after and then my normal 2 hours after breakfast which roughly coincided with leaving for and getting back from the visit. :D:wideyed: And exercise always tends to raise my levels a bit anyway...

But I'd tend to agree with @CatLadyNZ that you might expect to see a bit of a rise due to your body "repelling invaders"... I generally have (and now expect) slightly higher levels if I'm feeing unwell or get a migraine.

Robbity

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Got my jab tomorrow. Will test before & after. How long might the jab effect last?

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Had my flu jab yesterday and although slightly higher last night all has been normal today

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The flu jab induces an immune system reaction so it is unsurprising that you might see a bit of a blood sugar reaction.

numan43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think its just my stupid tiny brain at it again in trying so solve the reasons for highs and lows in blood sugars, the sooner I admit to myself that there is not one definitive answer the better, its like trying to do a 100,000 piece jigsaw which is made up entirely of sky.

Reactions: 7 people

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
Anyone had any blood sugar problems after a flu jab? My readings have been higher than my norm over past few days and getting the jab on tuesday is the only unusual thing thats happened to me this week
Yes numan I had my jab on Sat and my bs was 9.7 all day despite not eating anything since breakfast. This is the first year of having the jab that this has happened. I also had a painful site where I had the jab which I havent had before. I`m wondering if it has been caused by a different strain being used this year. I am Type 1.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Follow up to my Thursday flu jab post : I've felt headache-y and a little hot since Friday, but no noticeably higher BG levels until Saturday and things are not still right again yet... But I do also have somewhat longer term and unrelated issues with a painful hand and swollen elbow, which might also aggrevating things.:(:(

I didn't have my flu jab last year , and the previous year I'd not yet got my meter, so have nothing to compare; but this is the first time for years that I've actually had a quite noticeable reaction.

Robbity

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I had my jab last Thursday and had no problems at all, not even any soreness at the site which is strange as it usually itches and swells a little, this year nothing which I'm happy about.@benjygirl it's a different strain every year